"Check Battery Age"

jto555

When I bought my M 240 I bought two batteries. One I used often, the other occasionally. Therefore the often used one has undergone a lot of charging cycles. For it  I got the message recently - not for the other -  and I contacted the Leica support. Answer was, this message means, that in a couple of months - app. up to 3 - problems might arise, but I can try to discharge the battery completly und to recharge it fully - this might help but not for sure. I did it - but with no positive result. The message remained. In the meantime I used the battery further on and in fact I had to observe signs of weakness and loss of power after shorter series of taking pictures as before.  Therfore I replaced it.

Heinz, I think this might be an illuminating observation. Do the two batteries have a similar date code on their labels? If so, this would appear to indicate that it is not a simple question of the battery tellng the camera "I am now x years old, please display the cautionary mesage". Rather it would seem be a function of the battery's present charge/discharge charateristics, that is to say, the battery's internal circuitry may be sensing "I am getting old and decrepit, and not taking and holding charge like I used to, please display the cautionary message".

Aargh should never have glanced at this thread, mine just came up with the warning..I'll keep using it till there are obvious problems, but use it as a spare

I saw the thread a week ago, got message 2 days later. Self-fulfilling prophecy, I suppose. Bought the camera in Nov 2013.

Edited by JeffWright

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if the numbers are week and year numbers.

I got five batteries:

1213VB - No message
0213VB - Message: Check battery age

5112VB - Message: Check battery age

It's annoying and now would be a good time to fix it in a firmware update. 

Edited by Overgaard

I also have two batteries -

0213VB - Check battery age - supplied with camera, but still works

3314VB - No message - hardly used, bought in June 2015

Will be visiting Leica shop to see about replacement as camera has a used purchase 1 year warranty, not sure battery is covered.

You seem to be following the instruction (check battery age) in a way invented here (by reading a date from the label) but there doesn't seem to be a consequence. Why would Leica ask us to do this? Perhaps it is a translation error. Does the German version say "dispose of the battery"?

You seem to be following the instruction (check battery age) in a way invented here (by reading a date from the label) but there doesn't seem to be a consequence. Why would Leica ask us to do this? Perhaps it is a translation error. Does the German version say "dispose of the battery"?

Well, have you tried your own advice?

My take either it's bad programming or excellent marketing. The Manuel says a battery should last four years, but many are getting this message in three years.

But think about it, a suggestive message given about the age of your battery. Implying age might by its self cause issues. Why? To sell more batteries, what else?

However, I would not put poor English out of the question, then it's under poor programming. But since this an international company where most speak decent English. I would look toward the bottom line first.

• Like 1

I read somewhere on the net that lithium ion batteries have a 'life' of approx 1000 charge/discharge cycles, and as long as the battery isn't abused in terms of charging regime, then, on average, the life is as stated. What this has to do with elapsed time I have no idea.

Also informed the life of li-ion is improved if cycled between 18 and 80%. Maybe that's why the leica charger signals when the 80% level is reached. 

The 'check battery age' message is either Leica trying to be uber helpful, or it's good marketing - good marketing that has unfortunately backfired for Leica. All is forgiven, however, if Leica issue a firmware correction.

This message appeared on my camera a few days ago. I have only one battery that came with the new camera in July 2013. The label on the battery is 5112VB. There have been no issues with charge yet. Will keep an eye on this thread for info on a fix.

This message appeared on my camera a few days ago. I have only one battery that came with the new camera in July 2013. The label on the battery is 5112VB. There have been no issues with charge yet. Will keep an eye on this thread for info on a fix.

That makes it just over three years (three and a month) for the battery check sign to appear. Hopefully my math is correct. If it is indeed time based.

If it is indeed time based then I am due to get the message in a month or two (mine says 1013VB). I will keep an eye. 

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

A simple experiment proves that it is indeed data-based:

1. Turn on camera with battery that shows the warning.

2. Set the camera's date back one year.

3. Turn off camera.

4. Turn on camera.

5. Press the info button -> The warning is gone.

• Like 11

A simple experiment proves that it is indeed data-based:

1. Turn on camera with battery that shows the warning.

2. Set the camera's date back one year.

3. Turn off camera.

4. Turn on camera.

5. Press the info button -> The warning is gone.

Brilliant!  What happens when you then set date back to current?

• Like 1