"Check Battery Age"

jto555

The original M8/M9 batteries have a date code, I have one which says 42 06 and it still gives adequate battery life.

I find the red warning on the M240 extremely annoying, typical Leica nanny-state interference. It seems clear the manufacturing date is encoded on the built in chip in the battery and the warning comes up about 3 years - mine is 5112. Needless to say, the battery is working fine.

My suggestion to Leica is that the message should appear only the first time the info button is pressed after the battery is newly inserted; it doesn't need to be shown each and every time. My question to Leica was also how old a battery can be when received as new. A week, a month, a year? 

Big Nikons have a bar graph showing in 5 stages as the battery moves through its life and appears to be usage rather than time related. It's fine for information and is non-intrusive and batteries I have which are showing end of life are still fine.

• Like 1

This like the plague. It has now come to our house. I have marked our front door.

My two batteries were both bought with the M in Jan 2014 and are marked 1013VB and 1113VB.

I use them alternately and, usually, if I've used them for any significant period during the day I'll charge them that evening, often leaving them overnight - I haven't been careful to pull them out immediately when charged.

I discovered the message for both batteries today when switching on the M for the first time in 2 months after buying the SL. I assumed it was just petulance or a jealous rage.

• Like 2

The annoying message has arrived here also. Camera (and battery) bought new two years ago aprox. For the price of the camera Leica should sent a new battery to users every two years...They could change the message to "Your new battery is being shipped from Wetzlar" :)

You'd think that as more and more people are affected, Leica would be rushing out a fix, but apparently not. It seems clear the chip in the battery pack has the manufacture date and some sort of check is made by the camera which they never tested. The point I made to Leica is that even if the fix is made and they still feel the need to display the nannying message, it should only be displayed the first time the info button is pressed after the camera detects a battery change.

This like the plague. It has now come to our house. I have marked our front door.

My two batteries were both bought with the M in Jan 2014 and are marked 1013VB and 1113VB.

I use them alternately and, usually, if I've used them for any significant period during the day I'll charge them that evening, often leaving them overnight - I haven't been careful to pull them out immediately when charged.

I discovered the message for both batteries today when switching on the M for the first time in 2 months after buying the SL. I assumed it was just petulance or a jealous rage.

It is a plague, a few days ago the battary of my MP camera was drained. I had it in my camera for only two years!! No " info " warning. Would I have known, that I had to check my battary a few weeks ago, I would not have to made a run to the kitchen now to take another b outof the drawer, but could have had it closer at hand, in my pocket for instance... :D

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1