"Check Battery Age"

jto555

My Leica shop tells me that the problem is due to a firmware issue and not to worry. Battery batch no.0213VB

However after I had spoken to them my battery usage has stuck at 100%, which could perhaps cause some failed battery issues if it is left to run right down.

I put the battery on charge and it is about 80% charged according to the orange indicator, which is what I would expect after 100+ exposures.

Changing the date back to 2013, the warning disappeared but the 100% remains stuck.

Have emailed Leica to see their take on the issue, because it is about to be a very big issue judging by the number of problems on this forum.

Two batteries shown below (photo taken quickly with iPhone - no snotty comments please):

0213VB has message popped up in last week - this one came with the camera.

Second battery (which was ordered ahead of the camera arrival) looks identical but has NO date code (if that indeed is what it is) and no message.

During the first year I mostly used the battery that came with the camera but since then have switched them up about monthly. I've ordered a new one just in case this proves not to be a firmware issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Official word from Leica today:

'There is no cause for concern, this is a known problem with the m240 firmware. The software Is being revised and we hope to have a new firmware out in the near future.'

Leica replied within the hour to my query. So worry not.

(Battery batch no.0213VB)

• Like 6

DLS, I am pleased to see that you have a battery with no code. Somewhere in the depths of this thread I was told that because my battery has no code it is probably not genuine.

That myth now flies out of the window!

Now your battery's resale value will not drop.  :p

• Like 2

Just saw this thread as the red message appeared today I have 2 batteries purchased from Leica store in Paris 07 13 both 5112 both show check battery message 

Pleased to hear Leica will address the issue with firmware update I now wait with baited breath for its release.

There's no comparison to the Y2K. The Y2K problem caused many computer systems and programs to fail in various ways, most often producing incorrect results. Here we have the very minor annoyance of a spurious message being shown on the screen when pressing the Info button. As I don't use the Info screen very often, I only detected the message in my camera by deliberately looking for it.

There's no comparison to the Y2K. The Y2K problem caused many computer systems and programs to fail in various ways, most often producing incorrect results. Here we have the very minor annoyance of a spurious message being shown on the screen when pressing the Info button. As I don't use the Info screen very often, I only detected the message in my camera by deliberately looking for it.

-> Tongue in Cheek""- relax pop relax...

• Like 1

A simple experiment proves that it is indeed data-based:

1. Turn on camera with battery that shows the warning.

2. Set the camera's date back one year.

Presuming the Leica does not also store the date internally on their untouchable ROM.