"Check Battery Age"

jto555

I wonder what the firmware fix will be. Ideally it would be something like:

3 years after the battery was made get the first warning about "check battery age" 

Then you hit the OK button and then it asks:

"Battery life still acceptable? Yes/No"

If you say "yes" it reminds you again in another year.

If you say "no" the message "Old battery" or "Geriatric battery" or "not dead yet battery"

Yeah I have this message too. Yes I bought a new battery. I'm not going to use it until this one fails. However, after the guy on the motorcycle traveling through South America asked about resurrecting a battery, I realized that when traveling I need to take a spare battery even though the battery life on the M has been good enough I've never needed it.

Currently the firmware reads the chip in the battery. If the age of the battery is older than the current date minus a certain age, display message.

The change in firmware could just delete this code...

This check is done every time the camera is turned on. Removing such code would speed up the start of the camera.

Edited by Soden

The firmware fix will be to ask you to enter the dates when you bought your camera and each battery. You have to do this with an on-screen keyboard accessed via the top dial and the video recording button, which you must first reactivate. The date will be in numbers and words for the month. It will be case sensitive.

The response will be: "Yes, your battery is too old - please change it now". You will not be able to use the camera until you have bought new batteries.

Alternatively, the fix will be a simple message: "Leica has determined that you are incapable of taking a photo of optimal quality with an older battery. Your camera has been disabled until you have fitted a new battery". In other words, a bit like the long exposure noise-reduction system. :huh:

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

How does one check the battery age ?

The red text appeared two days ago for one of my batteries and today for the other one.

One of the batteries was purchased with the 240 M in June 2013, and the other one with my present 240 M-P in December 2014. 

I do not know which battery is which. 

Apparently their age is appr. equal, as the warning about their age appeared within a two day period of time. 

No serial number to be found, markings differ only in the lower left corner of the back side, which says Vinca TM on one and just V on the other.

Edited by pajamies

How does one check the battery age ?

You don't. 

It is conceivable that the message was meant to call your attention to the age of the battery. It's a good idea to have an eye on the capacity of a battery, particularly of an elderly one.

This feature has not turned out to be particularly useful, though.

@ a Leica Board Meeting:- How do we sell more batteries? -> get the tech guys to program a Battery Age Warning:: Gr8 - get it done..

All smiles around the table:: some 45-50,000 owners pi$$ed øff..

Tsk tsk. So much cynicism in one so young! :D

Pete.

• Like 3

@ a Leica Board Meeting:- How do we sell more batteries? -> get the tech guys to program a Battery Age Warning:: Gr8 - get it done..

All smiles around the table:: some 45-50,000 owners pi$$ed øff..

I overheard that one smarty pants wanted one step further. After 5 days of grace period since warning (apparently an EU legal stuff), the next shutter press was going to automatically place an order for new batteries (depending on the shutter count) from Leica's selected partner. 

Unfortunately the wifi was dropped from M240 at the last minute, and this idea could not be implemented. In place of that, a stronger warning was added after another fixed number of days which said something like "Check battery age you A#@$". I am not sure whether anyone has started getting this second message.

Edited by jmahto