Leica Q -general-

I don't think a CMosis sensor is bad news. That is a darn good sensor and Leica should have good control over the supply.

It is about time somebody got out of this megapixel race - or maybe Ophthalmologists should enter this new market and start developing eye-resolution enhancing drugs... Or even better, 100% eye implants :rolleyes:

Would the existing CMosis sensor but with updated electronics, could improve things like DR?

Or is there hope for a new generation sensor, now that they could be expanding the FF-range?

Perhaps not with this Q, but with a new M and possibly a Q with interchangeable lenses, in the not so distant future.

I agree with you, emphasis should be on image quality, not pixel quantity as such.

Edited by AndrewAM

[...] how on earth is this sustainable or cost efficient? [...]

I don't know but fixed-lens compact 24x36 cameras have been sold by Leica since the nineties if memory serves. It it sells for less than $4K this one could interest people who cannot afford a Summicron 28/2 perhaps... Assuming it has a 28/1.7 lens i mean... But how could it stay compact with such a lens is a mystery for me. 

Well I'd held off on a Sony RX-1R and the latest D-Lux and for the moment updating the Monochrom to v2.

A digital fixed FL 35mm CL-sized (or smaller) full-frame Leica with the current 24MP sensor would interest me very much. 

ONLY if it had an internal viewfinder (preferably optical but I could live with good EVF).

Although I love the 28mm FL I'd have to think about that in a fixed FL camera.

Edited by MarkP

FF CMOS (same as in M240) 28mm fixed lens around f/1.7 for about $4,000.  Depending on the other bells and whistles (focus, manual controls, etc), may be a reasonable alternative to the M if one isn't interested in changing lenses. Or, if one keeps the lens changing activity confined to one's film Ms.  Just a thought on the niche this camera would fill in terms of client base. 

I have one safe prediction: The camera is going to be lambasted for being too expensive in comparison with "the same" cameras of other brands, having insufficient pixels, a too slow/digitally corrected lens, firmware bugs, poor noise performance, poor AWB, etc.  or any other perceived shortcoming  and slowly over a year or so it will emerge that when it comes to picture-taking it is the best in class....

• Like 14

I have been using a T as my autofocus "solution" but a full frame sensor with a good lens would be very attractive.   The T is good but quirky, still a work in progress if you ask me.   Since I end up most of the time with the 23mm on the T, which equates to about 35mm, a moderate wide angle fixed lens camera with a M240-type sensor would be very appealing. 

FF CMOS (same as in M240) 28mm fixed lens around f/1.7 for about $4,000.  Depending on the other bells and whistles (focus, manual controls, etc), may be a reasonable alternative to the M if one isn't interested in changing lenses. Or, if one keeps the lens changing activity confined to one's film Ms.  Just a thought on the niche this camera would fill in terms of client base. 

The motivator for the 28mm rather than a 35mm is to address the selfie market.

Bundled with the Q 116, also launching on the 11th -  a Leica brand selfie stick 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmQs37YqXg

;)

• Like 1

People who want a no fuss high quality camera, like in the olden days. I still recall my fathers Olympus XA ... always there. Any my Ricoh GR ... always there.

Of course I'm not paying 3000 over the price of a Ricoh GR ... so I hope Leica is wanting to sell this camera in volume rather than fill a niche.

I have one safe prediction: The camera is going to be lambasted for being too expensive in comparison with "the same" cameras of other brands, having insufficient pixels, a too slow/digitally corrected lens, firmware bugs, poor noise performance, poor AWB, etc. and slowly over a year or so it will emerge that when it comes to picture-taking it is the best in class....

It is not the first time, that you know more than the rest of us.

It's supposed to be a full frame camera with an EVF and a fixed 28mm lens.

In other words, a Sony RX1 clone.  :wacko:

Now Sony is asking for $2800 for this concept, lets see what Leica will ask.

If just a RX1 clone with inferior hardware, I doubt it'll go too far.

But I am sure it could appeal to Leica users if it also had a RF.

I've been confused (as usual) by the rumor-site posts – some seem to be about a Sony clone, others about a 'real' slimmed-down M.  Do less-confused folks take this to be one forthcoming camera, or two different ones?

Kirk

Edited by thompsonkirk

If just a RX1 clone with inferior hardware, I doubt it'll go too far.

But I am sure it could appeal to Leica users if it also had a RF.

Underperforming the RX1's autofocus??

And how old is that chip?

It is, or will be, a full frame fixed lens camera based on the available technology from the parts bin. The interesting thing will be that like the offspring of the X series, the T, will this evolve into an interchangable lens camera in the future? In which case that is where the Leica evolution, slow as it is, truly gets stood on its head.

Steve

• Like 1