Leica Q -general-

Leica should really not upload web pages early.....

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/Accessories

Gordon

Except that the surface material is a bit like Diet Coca-Cola. It should not be the only one on offer imo.

And the chrome lens should not be available on the chrome version starting day one. Customers constantly coming to the store asking about the delivery date of their order are a pain, but a necessary one. 

+ someone mentioned the Maestro II processor. Please follow ...'s example, how to have working software delivered on time.

Edited by tri

I love these fanboy posts

The RX1 is not only fully there it's one of the best cameras ever made

It is is quirky, brave, extremely well made and ferociously good IQ

It's current price is a bargain and it's hardly history. It'll have a second life longer then the 5D

I am looking at the Q in interest but I will judge it on its own merits

yes, quirky and brave ... my point exactly.

Leica should really not upload web pages early.....

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/Accessories

Gordon

Now taken down, here is the Google cached page

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MguomqCzz-8J:en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/Accessories+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Edited by stevelap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More images of the new camera http://www.cameraegg.org/another-two-hands-on-images-of-leica-q-typ-116/

What a shame that it has an EVF. Maybe Leica are using this as a test bed to see how users would feel about future M's having and EVF instead of the expensive and delicate rangefinder....

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by that oval viewfinder, the optics inside appear to have something like a 16:9 format as well. Is this a panoramic camera which can be cropped down to 3:4 and 2:3, which might explain the choice for an 28 lens?

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by that oval viewfinder, the optics inside appear to have something like a 16:9 format as well. Is this a panoramic camera which can be cropped down to 3:4 and 2:3, which might explain the choice for an 28 lens?

maybe they've just chosen oval design because of eye sensor next to EVF itself rather than standard circle shape and sensor next to it

It's certainly the most interesting Leica digital 'compact' yet. If it had an f1.4 or f2 35mm lens and an optical finder I'd have been very interested. 28mm is really just a bit too wide for general use IMHO, although that said I do often use the 25mm Skopar on my lllf as a street camera, and being FF one can presumably crop the image easily if needed.

My immediate questions are if the 'Summilux' lens is a true f1.7 or will it really be a variable aperture like with the X ? Will it be optically superb, or will it rely on digital correction for distortion?

What I don't understand is, why not make the lens interchangeable. Would be an interesting system camera with those specs.

Could be cannibalising om the M, but then it is better to be cannibalised by yourself than by others. Leica should have learned that 50 years ago.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is, why not make the lens interchangeable. Would be an interesting system camera with those specs.

Could be cannibalising om the M, but then it is better to be cannibalised by yourself than by others. Leica should have learned that 50 years ago.

testing the market? after all it's a departure form M. the same like X and T series. maybe this is the FF X (and is called Q) and later will follow FF T

Well, the M is unique today so they would be their own competition. It makes sense that they'd rather sell M's than Q's.

I do think it's a stepping stone towards an EVF based FF system camera to eventually replace the M. Look at the original X, then came the XV and then the T. There's the roadmap.

Well, the M is unique today so they would be their own competition. It makes sense that they'd rather sell M's than Q's.

I do think it's a stepping stone towards an EVF based FF system camera to eventually replace the M. Look at the original X, then came the XV and then the T. There's the roadmap.

Did't catch the point of it is better to be cannibalised by yourself than by others?  In stead of leaking M users to Sony and others, it is better to leak them to your new system.

• Like 3

Well we don't know how many M users are moving to Sony. It seems (reading forums elsewhere) quite a few Sony and Fuji users end up buying Leica len/es to use on their cameras and some make the full switch to the M system, although I'm pretty sure that M sales/ownership has increased in the last 10 years - has anyone got factual info on this?

It's interesting that Leica are finally offering a FF alternative to the M camera. I'm sure an interchangeable lens version will come in the not too distant future. Which also leaves a big ? hanging over the future of the T system.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 5

I can't understand all the cannibalisation talk.

A custom built fixed lens camera is always better then an interchangeable lens one due to the tolerances being able to be more finely tuned. We saw this in extrema with the RX1.

The other advantage is size.

An interchangeable platform is a whole other design project. Having fixed lens does not imply the other is easy or visa-versa.

This is looking really nice. It also looks like the M has been inspiration for design rather then the X.

In terms of the long term design for the M we tell nothing from this. It's obvious that the open optical viewfinder of the M together with the beautiful and precise focusing is a major draw and USP. I suspect Leica will continue to develop that system whilst it still sells. I am also sure that an EVF version could comfortably exist alongside for people with different desires.

Leica is nimble enough and niche enough to do anything it wants whilst its products sell.

Running a fixed lens range, APS-C, FF and MF interchangeable range all make sense if they are selling. They clearly come in at different pricing and function levels.

On the Sony question, I have a few Sony products. Of course some people will choose one camera system over another and the more choices the more competition, but I think Sony has actually done more to stimulate the M then detract from it. I, for a poor example, are a happy user of both. And BTW the remarkable Sigma SD1 which yet another niche. Perhaps I satisfy my mainstream need with Sony. However when I started to get into them they were also niche. Onwards and upwards ....

I love Leica. They are such an exciting and lovely company to be involved with and I am always blindsided by what they come up with, which is wonderful. It's companies like Leica that make the world a fun place.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 4

However, the interface of this camera appears to be close to the M cameras, carefully avoiding the sleek "fully digital" T aura. I think the owner demographic will neatly crystallize into two distinct groups.

It's interesting that Leica are finally offering a FF alternative to the M camera. I'm sure an interchangeable lens version will come in the not too distant future. Which also leaves a big ? hanging over the future of the T system.

I'm pretty sure that M sales/ownership has increased in the last 10 years - has anyone got factual info on this?

Leica had no digital M 10 years ago. From zero sales it can only go upwards....