FrozenInTime

Leica Q -general-

Not exciting at all

I wonder if it is not the right time to sell all my Leica gear

I don't trust that company anymore

Another viewfinderless camera probably using the clip on EVF from the X or M, pseudo Summilux lens that's only F1.7 at 3m or more.....

For the price it's likely to be - if they are the specs - one can do so much better if one can live without the red dot branding.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Not fits the housing. Fits the technical requirements. Something quite different, don't you think? The physical housing has nothing to do with it.

I don't think that's at all right, Jaap (unless we're splitting hairs).

Leica has been committed to the M3 form factor for the last 60 years, and the register distance which causes all the complications with wide angle lenses.  The camera has got fatter with the M9 and then the M(240), and look at all the angst that caused.  The M5 arguably failed because of the change to the dimensions of the housing.  Similarly, Leica gave the physical constraints of the camera as a reason there would never be a full frame M camera.

In terms of technical requirements, on paper the A7 appears to be a far better camera than the M cameras, and it is far cheaper and has Zeiss lenses which many prefer to Leica lenses, also at a considerable discount to what we pay.  But that's not really the entire picture - I don't actually think the image quality is as good from the A7, the shutter is noisy, the camera is narrower, but taller and just as thick as the M(240) (if my memory serves me) and it has random buttons all over the place and a terrible menu system (though better than the NEX, if that means anything).

So, I do agree with you that the IQ from the M(240) is better than the Sony offerings (certainly better than anything I got from either the D800E or the A7r.  But, that doesn't make the Leica sensor anything like leading edge.  Yes, it works better than any alternative in the M(240) with Leica lenses - I'm guessing, but a fair guess - and the image quality is very good.  But let's not get too excited.

Cheers

Johh

You forget that Leica designs new body shells for each iteration of the M to adapt it to the chosen components.

Nor do I see any advantage in being “ cutting edge up to the minute”. The result counts, not some marketing “advantage”.

Interesting that Leica Rumours website is completely silent on this.  Maybe they know something, and now can't say?

Haah! A rumour site that think they know something or know someone who may know something and NOT saying something!???

Edited by hoppyman

Haah! A rumour site that think they know something or know someone who may know something and NOT saying something!???

They're renaming the website. Leicasecrets.com

Not again a teaser for the new M which will not arrive IMO for months

Not a new M and it won’t take months.

Nor do I see any advantage in being “cutting edge up to the minute”. The result counts, not some marketing “advantage”.

No one is talking about “cutting edge up to the minute”, that's greatly exaggerated. But for instance the X (Vario and T too?) was made with supposedly the same sensor as the NEX 5, which had been out there for a few years. Now that doesn't mean the sensor is bad or anything, but I wouldn't call a sensor that's a few years old 'cutting edge'.

If Leica is using the 2-3 year old CMOSIS sensor in the Q that's fine by me, but I wouldn't be surprised if a cutting edge new Sony sensor shows better scientifically measured test results (numbers).

Edited by Peter D Lux 2

However, newer does not automatically mean better, which is an undefined value anyway, sometimes even the opposite. No one in his right mind could call the DMR sensor modern, but it still outperforms most of not all existing sensors in colour rendering and clarity. (OK,OK, at base ISO

)

However, newer does not automatically mean better, which is an undefined value anyway, sometimes even the opposite. No one in his right mind could call the DMR sensor modern, but it still outperforms most of not all existing sensors in colour rendering and clarity. (OK,OK, at base ISO

)

And your point is?

We seem to agree that the CMOSIS sensor is not "cutting edge" (as you phrase it), and to the extent that there is an edge, Sony is probably the best company to provide it ...

Just before you try to put more words in my mouth or to misconstrue what I'm saying - I'm very happy with the image quality from the M(240) sensor.  That isn't the point.  Peter probably makes the point more eloquently.

If it's to believe, from cameraegg:

• Lens: Summilux 1: 1.7 / 28mm ASPH
  • 24MP CMOS full frame sensor
  • Made in Germany
  • Full HD Video
  • Built-In Wi-Fi
  • Remote control possible from smartphones and tablet
  • The top of the cover is machined aluminum
  • The body is magnesium
  • Touch panel
  • Focus peaking
  • Live View zoom
  • EVF is 3.68 million dot
  • Image processing engine new Maestro II
  • Continuous shooting up to 10 frames / sec.
  • Highest sensitivity ISO 50000

http://www.cameraegg.org/leica-q-typ-116-leaked-image-specs/

No, that's not really the point you were making - that would imply that the best sensor is the one which fits the housing. What would be the point in that.

I agree the M(240) sensor is very good. Almost certainly the best sensor for an M camera with M lenses. But to say that makes it the most technologically advanced or the best sensor is just silly.

Your point is that you've already decided on an M camera, therefore the best sensor is the one the camera has. Silly. We know you like your Leicas. We all do. That's why we're here. But let's not allow that passion to obscure relatively simple reason, shall we?

Well, I’m still wondering where I said all this. And where I said that you are unhappy with your M240 sensor. After all, the post you objected to was a response to Cat calling Leica’s chips generations behind.

No one in his right mind could call the DMR sensor modern, but it still outperforms most of not all existing sensors in colour rendering and clarity. (OK,OK, at base ISO

)

Sorry jaapv, but just the fact the DMR sensor has 10 MP should be enough to disprove the "clarity" claim, even compared to a DSLR with AA filter.

Note that many people used to test DMR + Leica-R $x000 lens vs vintage Canikon + El Cheapo lens. Feel free to cite proper tests.

About the colors claim, it smells a lot like the CCD vs CMOS argument. Care to provide some links to proper tests against modern CMOS sensors ?

3.68 mil dot EVF? 4.000 €?

Looks nice, real clean design. Have to think about this one 

Edited by timde

The big remaining question....is the EVF built-in?

If it is, and assuming the leak/rumour is genuine, well done Leica.

Now, when will the interchangeable lens version be available......

If genuine, the big remaining question.......is the EVF built-in?   (Is that a viewfinder eyecup just visible on the left-hand edge of the body/right-hand side of the image?).

Edited by stevelap