New 50mm APO article/review + Interview with Peter Karbe at overgaard.dk

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading this interesting article, I am definitely convinced that the 7000$ Apo 50 is a valid alternative to my 700$ Summicron-M 50 (latest) or my 400$ Summicron-R 50 (which is actually my favorite on my SL).   ;)

But I prefer "my" shade which is not losing any lustre/black eloxation. Maybe you should not always bump your lens/camera into all sorts of corners.    :unsure:        Or buy the new silver edition.

I've been asking Leica several times if they could make or fit a ventilated shade onto eh APO. They can't. So I am having my own design made. Will see if it works out :-) 

• Like 3

Thorsten, interesting observation! I find that typ 262 sensor gives cleaner images, maybe a bit cooler in the RAW, than the previous 240 files. So I have just 262 now.

I know there are posts, counter-posts and counter-counter posts here debating whether the 262 RAW is different than 240 RAW...  who knows  :huh: ? But like you, there is something about the 262 images (before processing) that looks better to me. Perhaps it is Stefan Daniels' "technological difference?"

The APO 50, wide open, has just as unique and (in its own way) pleasing a signature as the Noct, IMHO. I went for a 50/1 that Peter Coeln put together, but I am indulging in carrying both APO 50 and 50/1 because sometimes you feel like a steak and sometimes you feel like pasta.

Peter

The Typ262 has a different sensor that is not made for live view, so that is the difference. I think that explains the difference, and it's the same one used in the M60 that people also reported had a slightly different look than their M 240. 

I will be going more into it in my M-D 262 article that comes out later. 

• Like 2

anyone can paint the distance scale in red. But in Leica's own marketing and industrial design, a red scale means that the lens is made of Brass. That is the meaning of a red painted scale.

An aluminum barrel lens with a red painted scale is of absolutely zero value and meaning.

As I read your post, I thought, oh!, very interesting and it all makes sense.

But then I realized that my Summicron-M 28mm ASPH silver (assembled, supposedly, in 2008) has a lovely red scale on its aluminum body. So now I don't know what to believe anymore  :o

As I read your post, I thought, oh!, very interesting and it all makes sense.

But then I realized that my Summicron-M 28mm ASPH silver (assembled, supposedly, in 2008) has a lovely red scale on its aluminum body. So now I don't know what to believe anymore :o

The silver lenses are Brass, unless Leica has recently changed this. This is why the silver lenses are heavier.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

anyone can paint the distance scale in red. But in Leica's own marketing and industrial design, a red scale means that the lens is made of Brass. That is the meaning of a red painted scale.

An aluminum barrel lens with a red painted scale is of absolutely zero value and meaning.

If you say so

[emoji23]

• Like 1

The silver lenses are Brass, unless Leica has recently changed this. This is why the silver lenses are heavier.

You can read about the Summicron-M 28mm ASPH silver on the wiki here, as well as google the part number. For some reason, Leica decided to make this lens with an aluminum barrel, just like the black ones. The silver lens is quite light (my lightest, actually), and so sharp you must be careful mounting it to the M or you will cut your fingers!

• Like 1

The thing with redscales is that it's reserved for Brass lenses (BP or silver variation).

Nothing prevents a person to have its yellow painted scale painted to red but that won't turn his lens into a brass version or into somekind of a "one ofa kind" object". Not even if Leica, the conpany, did it for you.

Like if I would use a sharpie pen and add a pair of Zeros to a 100$ bill. It would never turn that into a 10,000$ bill. Not even if Barack Obama added the two zeros himself. It would still remain a 100$ bill with a 100$ value.

As a sidenote, When I was in the market for a

35lux AA I was offered a "rare" redscale version for an extra 2000$ by a known dealer.

This special offer caused a few things, let me explain: first, there is no known brass version of this lens so I understood they tried to scam me while playing the "leica exklusiv" game by lying about a special redscale version.

Secondly, nothing can prevent me form changing the yellow scale to red myself, for 5$ and 10 minutes of my time. Of course, when reselling the said lens I could never find an idiot willing to pay me 2000$ for my 10 minutes of work.

Thirdly, I banned that seller from any potential future business because a serious Leica seller knows what a redscale Leica lens represents.

I bet if Obama added the 0s himself (and you could prove it) it'd be worth a fair bit more that $100.

And I really don't think God Particle give a rats about the resale. He wanted red numbers, and so had it done. Who are we to judge?

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 2

Since this is a serious Leica forum it's only normal to point out the obvious about Leica products.

About Obama, who knows. But no, adding zeros to a dollar bill doesn't make it worth more just the same as if Leica paints a feet scale in red for a special customer doesn't change the lens to what it isn't.

The thing with redscales is that it's reserved for Brass lenses (BP or silver variation).

Once again, chrom the 28/2 is not brass

The chrom 35/1.4FLE is also not brass

And the new chrom APO50 is also not brass

Nothing prevents a person to have its yellow painted scale painted to red but that won't turn his lens into a brass version or into somekind of a "one ofa kind" object". Not even if Leica, the conpany, did it for you.

Unfortunate for you, but Leica did mention that the lens they did for me is "truly one of a kind" [emoji4]

• Like 2

Since this is a serious Leica forum it's only normal to point out the obvious about Leica products.

The only thing that is obvious is that red lettering might have been reserved for only brass lenses, but now it's not.

We can't be sure that this was an intention of Leica to make red paint somehow only for brass. Maybe the orange paint didn't stick so well, so red was their second choice? Maybe on the day the 35 you mentioned came off the production line they had run out of orange paint and so used some red paint. You might have passed up one of the rarest lenses in Leica history!

But we're all speculating.

Once again, chrom the 28/2 is not brass

The chrom 35/1.4FLE is also not brass

And the new chrom APO50 is also not brass

Unfortunate for you, but Leica did mention that the lens they did for me is "truly one of a kind" [emoji4]

I do note they now call them 'silver' not 'chrome'.

• Like 1

I've been asking Leica several times if they could make or fit a ventilated shade onto eh APO. They can't. So I am having my own design made. Will see if it works out :-) 

Very good.

Hope, you print the "Home made" on the shade in letters with an interesting color (blue, red, yellow, etc.).

Jan

• Like 1

The only thing that is obvious is that red lettering might have been reserved for only brass lenses, but now it's not.

We can't be sure that this was an intention of Leica to make red paint somehow only for brass. Maybe the orange paint didn't stick so well, so red was their second choice? Maybe on the day the 35 you mentioned came off the production line they had run out of orange paint and so used some red paint. You might have passed up one of the rarest lenses in Leica history!

But we're all speculating.

I'm amazed that you're stuck with the idea that "they" (leica) made the mistake. This is very funny because despite the fact that it was a faker, you seem to want to believe a shady story that was reported to you in second-hand.

This is quite scary.

If it works and looks good you might be able to start a sidleine in Leica accessories.  

I'm sure a few of us would be interested.

I'm amazed that you're stuck with the idea that "they" (leica) made the mistake. This is very funny because despite the fact that it was a faker, you seem to want to believe a shady story that was reported to you in second-hand.

This is quite scary.

I'm not sure why anything is scary? I apologise if my post attacked you.

But where is your evidence of this "fact" that it was a fake? It might have been factory repainted, as we now know they can and will do. We also know that Leica red paint lenses that aren't brass.

You are speculating based on your own personal opinion that it is a fake. I most likely is, but you don't have any evidence either way. Everything you used to call it a fake has now been uncovered as not exactly true.

I might just say how scary it is that you were so quick to accuse without any evidence. You just assume based on previous experience. Scary.

Bottom line is that God Particle got their lens painted with red lettering, most people think it's cool. You don't like it because it doesn't fit with your romantic view of Leica.

Id like Leica to paint the feet scale on my lenses in black like the limited edition 0.95/50. I'm metric :)