M3 doesn't hold lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

this is my very first post over here after reading it since I've got my M3. I was using it with my friend's Summarit 50, while searching for an optimal lens for me. Finally, I've decided to buy a Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5. Fortunately, I've managed to get one for a test ride (actual the one, I'll buy, if i do so) and I've experience the following situation with it:

when I put it on my camera, it doesn't click. Like if the lens release button (or how is it called officially?) doesn't clicks into the lens. So I can take off the lens of the body without pressing the lens release button. Interesting, though, I can't rotate the lens in the opposite direction without pressing the button.

What can I do in that case? The guy has an M6 and 240 and he doesn't have that issue.

I've tried to unscrew the button and check it on both lenses, but it seems identically the same, till the last micro mm.

Here's a video demonstraing the problem: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10156939/Video%2007-03-15%2012%2049%2029.mov

Thanks alot, guys :)

much love

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I doubt it is the lens release button unless the spring has totally given up (I've never heard of that happening), so logic suggests that if it works with a Leica lens it is the Voigtlander lens at fault. There can be tight tolerances and it may simply be a flash of overlapping metal caused during the machining of the lens mounting flange. If it was me I'd just run the tip of a sharp knife around the rebate for the lens catch and see if that restores the fit.

Steve

• Like 2

Is the Nokton the M mount version or the earlier screw mount version used with an adapter?

Picture shows the M mount version.

I have had a similar issue with a fat Tele-Elmarit 90 in mint condition that would not properly lock on one of my M bodies while locking without problem on the other two. The M body in question has mounted a dozen different M lenses or adapters without problems. At the time my uneducated guess was that it was some mismatch of tolerance, the lens being at the one extreme end of the tolerance range and the body at the other end somehow causing this. Anyhow, a competent repairmen should be able to sort this out, or you look for a different Nokton and see it this cures the problem.

I think it's about the mix of, at least, two dimensions ON THE LENS each of them with its own tolerancing :

1) The thickness of the bayonet-engaging blade

2) The (arc) length of the same.

Together, they can bring to such an issue : a good repairman (who knows WELL the tech details of the Leica M mount) can easily fix it... but if you can return the lens, better to have a natively good item, imho.

Not a rare issue... I had it on a cheap chinese M adapter.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

• 8 years later...

The U-shaped indent on the lens is not deep enough, especially near the bottom of the U, for the latch on the camera body to properly grab it. I got a needle file and dug out the indent at the bottom of the U to make room for the latch to enter the indent and grab it. Be careful not to round off the edges of the indent - use just the tip of a pointed needle file. The indent is in brass, which is soft and responds easily to the file. Worked like a charm for me. 

Thank you!  I did notice the date, but I found this thread through a search when I was trying to solve my problem with the lens, and since I found a solution, I figured it might help the next person who’s searching for an answer. The Voigtlander lens is apparently still being sold with this small (but important) flaw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1