Bought a Q2 EVF protector for Q3 and doesn't work

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the protector is applied to the EVF window the Q3 thinks my eye is there and keeps the EVF permanently on. The rear screen doesn't function and there is no auto switching between the screen and the EVF. 

It's a shame as the protector was easy to install and a perfect fit, but it states it is for the Q2, so maybe there is a difference between the Q2 and Q3 in how the EVF detects that ones eye is there  

Has anyone found a small EVF protector that works with the Q3? 

14 hours ago, SnapshotGR said:

You can change the detection sensitivity. That might help. 

Low sensitivity doesn't work either.  The protector that I purchased is a tempered glass one similar to the one I have on the main screen, but the camera seems to think my eye is at the viewfinder with the EVF protector in place.

Posted (edited)

It’s probably covering up the sensor for eye detection. On the Q2 this is just inside the rubber cup surrounding the viewfinder. It sounds as if it might be somewhere else on the Q3 covered by the protector. Move a finger around on the back of the camera to find out where it is. 

Edit. Do you mean you are adding a protector to the eyepiece itself? I be never heard of such things. I’m not surprised it is blocking the eye sensor. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It’s probably covering up the sensor for eye detection. On the Q2 this is just inside the rubber cup surrounding the viewfinder. It sounds as if it might be somewhere else on the Q3 covered by the protector. Move a finger around on the back of the camera to find out where it is. 

Edit. Do you mean you are adding a protector to the eyepiece itself? I be never heard of such things. I’m not surprised it is blocking the eye sensor. 

Yes, there are glass covers that can be put over the EVF eyepiece screen.  I thought to try one as I have read here that the EVF screen scratches easily on the Q3.  People seem to have had good results using them with the Q2 and, given the size and shape is the same between the Q2 and Q3, I thought I would try one.

This is the one that I tried:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compatible-Leica-Q2-FANZR-Anti-Scratch/dp/B09Y5RHQ17

• Like 1