Exposure preview doesn't work as it should? Leica Q3.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that when I am an aperture of 1.7, in bright daylight, when pressing the shutter button half-press, I see an excellent exposed image, but when shooting the picture, it is overexposed.

I guess it is probably because there is some threshold to what the camera is "willing" to exposure preview for you, as when I turn the aperture to a higher number, everything is ok. Still I would expect the camera to "warn" me that I am in over expose situation, after all that what exposure preview is all about...

Is there something I can change in the setting? Or it is a firmware bug?

In the manual there will be instructions as to how to set the Clipping tool, that will highlight too bright or too dark areas. You can also use the histogram to read exposure, again the manual will tell you how to set it. Alternatively, use the highlight weighted metering, per the manual, that will reduce the chances of overexposure too.

I do not have a Q3, so cannot tell you which pages. I have the Q2 just use the histogram. 

• Like 2

Now try doing the same thing in a dimly lit area. The result is even worse. Once you half press the shutter, the image is completely underexposed. However once you take the shot, the exposure is correct (check out my post). Again as you said exposure preview does not work unless you’re in a perfectly lit scene. I’m not sure how more people aren’t noticing this. I did show this to the people at the leica store Miami and they were also perplexed by this (they did try it on their Q3 and got the same result). I was told that they would bring it up to Leica team. 
hopefully this gets an update soon. 

Edited by Igster
  • Like 2

Am 24.6.2023 um 10:45 schrieb odpr:

I noticed that when I am an aperture of 1.7, in bright daylight, when pressing the shutter button half-press, I see an excellent exposed image, but when shooting the picture, it is overexposed.

I guess it is probably because there is some threshold to what the camera is "willing" to exposure preview for you, as when I turn the aperture to a higher number, everything is ok. Still I would expect the camera to "warn" me that I am in over expose situation, after all that what exposure preview is all about...

there are many opportunity. Have you activated the electronic shutter or the mechanical only? have to set a time manually?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/24/2023 at 4:45 AM, odpr said:

Is the problem you’re describing unique to the Q3, or are you new to digital photography and are asking a general question regarding how digital viewfinders work?

Edited by freediverx

According to my experience the exposure preview does not work properly in all situations. You might have a situation where you are in manual mode and without half pressing the shutter release you see the actual brightness in the viewfinder when opening or closing the aperture or when changing ISO or exposure time. On the other hand you might find situations where you only see the proper brightness of your image when you half press the shutter release button. I reported this issue.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2023 at 5:24 AM, odpr said:

But what is the point of exposure preview if you can't preview the image?

I am aware of the histogram, but that is not the point...

What you see in EVF is always only an approximate WYSIWYG and should never be used to judge an exposure. That is true for all mirrorless cameras. Use histograms and clipping to determine proper exposure.

Exposure Preview means that histogram and clipping are accurate, not that EVF shows the brightness of the final  image (which is nit possible anyway). A camera often needs to adjust the scene bithghtness in the  EVF so that the user can frame the picture better.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cogito said:

Just watched the Red Dot Forum: Leica Q3 Camera Talk, sounds like this is a known issue that’s been reported to Leica, (look at 1:59:40) 

Yap that what I thought  - it is a bug.

To all those who say that histogram is the way to go that is of course not correct, as all the point of EVF is that you can see exactly(!) what you are going to get and there is no need to guess and take your eyes from the subject to start investigating the histogram.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 9:49 PM, Igster said:

Now try doing the same thing in a dimly lit area. The result is even worse. Once you half press the shutter, the image is completely underexposed. However once you take the shot, the exposure is correct (check out my post). Again as you said exposure preview does not work unless you’re in a perfectly lit scene. I’m not sure how more people aren’t noticing this. I did show this to the people at the leica store Miami and they were also perplexed by this (they did try it on their Q3 and got the same result). I was told that they would bring it up to Leica team. 
hopefully this gets an update soon. 

I've experienced the exact same problem in dark indoor scenes. Good to hear that it's a bug that Leica presumably knows about and will address via firmware.

Steve

On 6/26/2023 at 9:32 PM, odpr said:

Yap that what I thought  - it is a bug.

To all those who say that histogram is the way to go that is of course not correct, as all the point of EVF is that you can see exactly(!) what you are going to get and there is no need to guess and take your eyes from the subject to start investigating the histogram.

The exposure tool in your viewfinder is the histogram. Nothing else. Learn to read it properly. The EVF itself is useless for judging exact exposure, nor is it meant to be. For one thing it will adjust its brightness according to the ambient light, and the camera will always attempt to present an image that is useful for framing. It does not even have the dynamic range to show exposure correctly. Trying to use it for exposure is a basic error. Read the manual and pay attention to your PASM setting. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’ve noticed the same problem today with Exposure preview for PASM. It only appears to happen when I manually select manual aperture and shutter.

The weirdest thing is that when the exposure setting is physically over/under exposed, in the exposure preview with a half-pressed shutter button, not only does the preview look normal on screen, the histogram look fine as well. It’s as if the preview was done with auto-exposure while the actual exposure is done with the manual user settings. I haven’t seen the same problem in aperture priority.