Ferrania - moving mass production machinery

Sandokan

You dismiss the idea that demand for film will grow...

Alan you're such a comedian. Not just a troll, but also a sea-lion.

Anyway, naturally I don't think Kodak or Fuji are going to stop producing film - current Pro film demand is trending upwards again.

But when there were just a few short hours left of the magnificently successful Kickstarter, I was simply accentuating a possible (but highly unlikely) worst-case scenario, in order to encourage people who maybe hadn't bothered to think about what might be 'in it for them' to support Ferrania while they still had the opportunity to help.

We're all grown-ups here, and everyone can make their own decisions whether to support a film company, or not. I guess you'll still feign surprise and outrage that I 'tricked' some innocent bystanders into contributing.

Still - no hard feelings. Right now I'm consoled by a healthy dose of schadenfreude seeing the DSLR market totally fall off a cliff. Seems to me the camera systems I use most at the moment are going to be around and useable longer than yours.

-

To AlanG

I for one enjoy the whole sensation of knowing my next click is only one of 36 before I invest another $20+ for D&P and scanning. It makes me think harder and more carefully than being able to shoot 4000 images in a day and hope one will be acceptable. I enjoy the tactile sensation of loading, winding and unloading film. Especially the winding on with my thumb. What do you have to offer me with your digital world? If I have to spend $4000 on a roll of film (the equivalent to me today of what it cost my father for a roll of slide film 50 years ago), I still would run one film a year through my camera.

You have become quite repetitive and boring on the subject of film. Obviously we do not share your view. Whether you are right and we are simply burying our heads in the sand is totally irrelevant to us - and nothing you say will change our mind. Please give up on trying to convince us and post in a digital forum instead.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel compelled to repeat that the company under discussion never made a quality film and if were the last on earth I would not use it.

You say that Pico, but I've found (imo) exquisitely beautiful images on Flickr taken with some of their films, so I'd have to say you're not doing it right...

Different tastes are good.

You think it's just about 'taste'. I guess this implies good and bad taste - oh well... :rolleyes:

On a conference trip with some colleagues one day we were walking along the beach, and finding some sticks we drew patterns in the sand. I remember being struck by how the illustrator among us could execute some beautiful creations - with a blunt stick, and some wave-washed sand.

• Like 1

You think it's just about 'taste'. I guess this implies good and bad taste - oh well... :rolleyes:

We differ. Differ. Not good. Not bad.

On a conference trip with some colleagues one day we were walking along the beach, and finding some sticks we drew patterns in the sand. I remember being struck by how the illustrator among us could execute some beautiful creations - with a blunt stick, and some wave-washed sand.

Now there is your digital analogue. Digital is drawing in the sand by the sea as the tide rolls in. Analog is what? The stick? The stick that beats the dead horse?

Now there is your digital analogue. Digital is drawing in the sand by the sea as the tide rolls in. Analog is what? The stick? The stick that beats the dead horse?

Oh well if you have that much difficulty with a simple analogy I can't help you.

In any case this thread was always intended for the positive-minded: people who don't blame the pencil because they can't draw.

• Like 1

That is strange coming from a person named Plastic.

If you don't know anything about art the term 'plastic' does perhaps coincidentally, possibly not, refer to all forms of visual art, and while an analogy isn't a visual art it does require some intellectual 'vision'.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

If you don't know anything about art the term 'plastic' does perhaps coincidentally, possibly not, refer to all forms of visual art, [...]

Okay, we have a candidate for the most passive-voice post of the month!

-

To AlanG

I for one enjoy the whole sensation of knowing my next click is only one of 36 before I invest another $20+ for D&P and scanning. It makes me think harder and more carefully than being able to shoot 4000 images in a day and hope one will be acceptable. I enjoy the tactile sensation of loading, winding and unloading film. Especially the winding on with my thumb. What do you have to offer me with your digital world? If I have to spend $4000 on a roll of film (the equivalent to me today of what it cost my father for a roll of slide film 50 years ago), I still would run one film a year through my camera.

You have become quite repetitive and boring on the subject of film. Obviously we do not share your view. Whether you are right and we are simply burying our heads in the sand is totally irrelevant to us - and nothing you say will change our mind. Please give up on trying to convince us and post in a digital forum instead.

I encourage you and others to keep shooting film. Some of my posts are more about explaining why many have stopped doing so and why I feel that trend will continue. Sorry you take it personally. Being a film booster is not likely to alter the marketplace. What I can't understand is why when I question the lack of a business plan by Ferrania, the response is to circle the wagons in defense of film in general... when that has very little to do with the issue.

Basically I see Ferrania's Kickstarter offering as more of an emotional appeal than a clearly articulated program that can be analyzed or tracked very well. I can certainly understand how they can get many film users to contribute small amounts. But they really do not lay out anything substantial that would be typical of a normal investment prospectus. I have no idea if Ferrania will succeed over any period of time because they do not define what success means beyond buying some equipment and making this first batch of film. My questioning of this financing approach has nothing to do with whether I put film in my cameras or not.

Edited by AlanG

Alan you're such a comedian. Not just a troll, but also a sea-lion.

Anyway, naturally I don't think Kodak or Fuji are going to stop producing film - current Pro film demand is trending upwards again.

But when there were just a few short hours left of the magnificently successful Kickstarter, I was simply accentuating a possible (but highly unlikely) worst-case scenario, in order to encourage people who maybe hadn't bothered to think about what might be 'in it for them' to support Ferrania while they still had the opportunity to help.

We're all grown-ups here, and everyone can make their own decisions whether to support a film company, or not. I guess you'll still feign surprise and outrage that I 'tricked' some innocent bystanders into contributing.

Still - no hard feelings. Right now I'm consoled by a healthy dose of schadenfreude seeing the DSLR market totally fall off a cliff. Seems to me the camera systems I use most at the moment are going to be around and useable longer than yours.

The last thing that would ever cross my mind would be to worry about what kind of camera I would use in the future or who would make it.

So your post was just a bunch of reckless hype about a project that is promoted with lots of reckless hype...yet you criticize my posts?

Edited by AlanG

What I can't understand is why when I question the lack of a business plan by Ferrania,

With your frequent repetition and your wording a certain element of casualness might have been lost. Also, you might consider that perceived lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, despite of your repated repeated repeated repeated

If I was considering building a new enterprise, would I make a business plan? Yes, of course. Would I mail it to my actual or potential competitors? I do not think I would.

Speaking of disclosures - what is your agenda within this business?

• Like 2

.....about a project that is promoted with lots of reckless hype...

As I suggested much earlier, how about doing some of your own research on Ferrania. You're mature enough to do so yourself if you are indeed sincerely interested in what Ferrania has been planning during the past several years. This has been in the works for a long time.

I will tell you that the Kickstarter campaign that seems to be concerning you was only something recent and after David Bias asked to get on board. Ferrania is an Italian company and wasn't out seeking monetary investments. But when they were informed that the larger capacity machinery and buildings were soon to be destroyed, the suggestion to raise some capital and buy that machinery via Kickstarter came about. By saving the machinery and storing it, they now have the opportunity to increase capacity if needed in order to keep product costs down.

Ferrania is not looking for your investment monies nor your advice. Nor are they being funded solely by Kickstarter (again, that came about only later and was a manageable and easy way of getting the capital for some extra machinery.) Ferrania consists of a former successful software engineer and CEO (and university professor), and several former Ferrania employees. And they simply want to re-establish the company as a still and motion picture film manufacturer. Whether they succeed or not shouldn't be your concern as you clearly have no interest whatsoever in their products.

And I'm sure they don't care what you think about their business plan. But if you're honestly curious (and in a productive way) then why not contact them yourself and ask about those issues that have bemused you? And telling them directly what they are doing wrong would benefit them a lot more than saying it here.

In the meantime I don't quite get your constant and repetitive diatribe about your puzzlement with film use, and why you feel so compelled to persistently voice it here on the film users section of LUF. :confused:

• Like 12