Ferrania - moving mass production machinery

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

....What I would really like to see is someone making B&W reversal film again, since it seems to scan better on my Plustek 7400 than B&W negative. AFAIK, Agfa Scala was the last one made, without messing about with odd and complicated processes. I think Kodak may make some black and white reversal but only in 16mm cine film (Tri-X reversal 7266). 

Wilson

PS I have just seen that my friends at Fomapan have brought out a 100 ISO B&W reversal film but again the processing looks like a bit of a heave, with a 12 step process. 

1. Any silver B&W film can be reverse-processed, using the same basic steps. Scala processing was not any different, although the film was "tuned" for slightly better-looking positives (denser blacks). Tmax 100 has always reversed well.

2. That FOMA kit is about as simple as reverse-processing goes. 12 "steps", but that includes 6 water washes and 6 actual processing steps (1st dev., Bleach, Cleaning bath, Fogging or rexposure - can be by light or by chemical, 2nd Dev., Fix.) Plus a wetting agent before drying if desired.

B&W reversal can't get any simpler than that (except for the old PolaPan instant one-step process**). You have to develop the negative image, remove the negative image, fog what remains, develop that, and fix.

**http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2E73ybyC3aM/TNyAvo4qfeI/AAAAAAAAD8Y/dQpwE7jfmc8/s1600/PolaPanMachine--------001.jpg

• Like 3

In college, for the sake of economy we would copy negatives to positives using Kodak 5302 and a Leitz dupe back. That film was dirt cheap, about $3 for 100 feet, and could be handled in paper safelight.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Andy, 

Many thanks for that info.My problem is that I have to get someone to do it for me, as pretty much every developer other than Kodak XTOL brings me out in hives and wheezing like a broken fairground organ. I will ask my usual people AG Photolab if they will do it for me. They are usually very obliging. 

Wilson

Perhaps I might be permitted a question - what is the objective of B&W positives? Is anyone doing slide shows of B&W images? Is the some alleged advantage in scanning positives? Curious.

For me it was just scanning. When I was testing out my recently acquired Plustek Scanner, I got noticeably better results from some old Agfa Scala slides than I did from some more recent FP4 negatives. Now it may just be that I have not yet got the hang of using Silverfast 8 and with more experience I will get better with negatives. It was principally gradation of greys that was more subtle from positives, whereas I felt the negatives were too black and white with not fine enough gradation of the greys. My results from negatives looked a bit like orthographic film. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I noticed as far back as my first scanning experience (1994±) that positives (color slide film scanned as monochrome) produced better "out of the box" scans than negatives.

Oversimplifying:

It's easy for a scanner (the device and the software) to simply copy exactly what is there - make black black, make white white, make this gray exactly 32% of the "white" brightness, etc. 99.999....% of scans (counting the whole population, not just photographers) are made from positive photo prints, or documents, to be reproduced tonally as exactly as possible, so the software excels at doing that.

Not so easy with a negative - which of these light grays should be black, and which dark grays should be white, and where does this in-between gray belong on the spectrum in between?

Additionally, with a bad positive original, it's easy to see "Ugh! Too dark!" or "Ugh! Blown out!" and pick a different frame to scan. Not as easy with exposure differences between negatives (because of negative film's latitude), so the scanning device may be fed variable originals that it has to "interpret." It's confusing to the algorithms.

Humans of course can look at the scan and fix what the algorithms couldn't handle. One can get great scans from negatives. But one doesn't get as much help from the device and software up front.

It's somewhat analogous to taking a slide out of the Kodak box and popping it right into the projector, ready to view - or taking a negative into the darkroom and fiddling with printing for an hour or more getting a perfect print.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.......I do wonder if all this massive effort will be in vain, when it would seem they are still a long way from even making satisfactory B&W film, .........

Initial batch sample shown in post linked above yours......don't know what that means timing-wise for release.

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/firsts

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Initial batch sample shown in post linked above yours......don't know what that means timing-wise for release.

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/firsts

Jeff

Jeff,

In the blog they admitted it was a fair way from satisfactory with streaks and bubbles in the emulsion coating. I would not be surprised if it will be another few months before they have these snags ironed out and that is before they tackle multi layer coating for colour film. 

Wilson

• 6 months later...

Would anyone be interested in participating in or even organizing a LUF photo contest for the first run of the new Ferrania films?

Now here are some thoughts on a new type of forum challenge: the favorite film challenge

The new film ought to arrive in our hands in April 2015 or thereabouts. I think we should allow one month for members to get acquainted with it (shooting and developing one first test roll, shooting the winning shot for the competition, developing and scanning this shot). We then allow two weeks for PP (minimal PP, please, as we want to see how you put the film to use, not how you remove all the charm it might have) and uploading to the forum. The next two weeks are allowed for voting on the best shot where all forum members get to vote, just as with all the other challenges in the forum.

The winner gets to name the film type and optionally the topic for the next challenge, to be held a few months later. He also earns the warm glow, of course, which results from winning a FORUM CHALLENGE, no less.

Any takers? Would that work? Should we set a topic for the first run as well or should it just be restricted to the kickstart reward?

Good idea!

Once film is delivered (I have 4 rolls), let us run a test roll and then have the competition. 36 hours to shoot 36 shots (or whatever numbers people prefer, honour basis) and then submit one for the competition.

So two years two months later than expected, BUT IT IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

What ground rules shall we set? I would propose that one photo shot on Ferrania film in the month of August, with at least one component (camera or lens) made by Leica be submitted by folk into the competition. Photo to be submitted by end of Sept. 

Who is up for this competition? 

I see now. Yours is the B/W P30. The one I am waiting for is the color reversal film offered as a reward to the backers. According to the most recent update, it's not likely to arrive any time soon. I have waited for so long, I can wait some more.

• Like 1

Yes, I received my P30 B&W last week, and have a test roll shooting now. They realized they better perfect coating B&W before moving to multi-layer color - and the B&W sales provide funds to operate before they can produce E6.

I'm still waiting for my P30 as well. And as a backer, I hope the E6 eventually becomes a reality.

I'd happily participate in a P30 comp, assuming I get some soon !

Hi Digby

Quick snap of what turned up this morning in Tassie, maybe yours is not too far away?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi Digby

Quick snap of what turned up this morning in Tassie, maybe yours is not too far away?

attachicon.gifIMG_3038s.jpeg

Goodonya David.

That looks interesting and some of the B&W looking particularly good in the sub-grey zones.

Do post some images soon...and tell us how you go with your developing...I'm an FP4 person...prefer a full range and minimal grain.

All best and trust you are well...

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1