can i "cheat" lens detection?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys

I bought the KOMURA 2x converter and want to try it out on the M with a Tele -Elmar 135.

Unfortunately, when I want to use live view/EVF the camera cant detect a lens and it says ""Warning! No lens detected". Its no good setting the lens manually or switching lens detection off. This is only a problem with the adapter and not with any of my leica lenses attached directly. I guess it is due to something very minor because the adapter fits the camera well other wise. Is there a trick to "cheat" the lens detection?

thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You may need to put something reflective in the area of the LED lens detectors. Otherwise, neither Live View nor EVF will fire up. On an old Novoflex adapter, I had to scrape off the black paint in the LED area. Also where there is a recess in the LED area like older LTM to M adapters, the LV and EVF will not fire up.

Wilson

• Like 1

Yes- if it is an M42 screw mount teleconverter- and you are using a Leica brand adapter ring- chances are the cutout in that ring is letting light onto the LED's causing the camera to wrongly conclude that 'no lens is attached'.

Leica in their wisdom- decided that even if you turn lens detection off: the LED lens detectors still operate....

this means that Leica effectively rendered their own OEM adapter rings- the older ones with a cut-out- absolutely useless on the M240. So if you are like me and have around 5 lenses fitted with such rings: you have to go out and buy new ones. Brilliant, eh? Took me years to find the 5 original Leica ones I have. All quite useless now. If Leica was hoping I would buy new Leica brand adapters: they can forget it.

Looking at your photo - I can't quite tell- but it looks like the adapter is M mount? If so have a look at the rim where the LED readers are: if there is any gap allowing light in perhaps you could mask that somehow.

Edited by jaques
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this means that Leica effectively rendered their own OEM adapter rings- the older ones with a cut-out- absolutely useless on the M240. So if you are like me and have around 5 lenses fitted with such rings: you have to go out and buy new ones. Brilliant, eh? Took me years to find the 5 original Leica ones I have. All quite useless now. If Leica was hoping I would buy new Leica brand adapters: they can forget it.

It's a bit exaggerate, imho, to blame Leica for having made useless (partially, and on a camera announced in 2012) adapters they announced in 1954, to assure compatibility for lenses made even before... :o; btw, the cutout is STILL needed if you want to use LTM lenses with the oldstyle focusing knob (Elmar 5cm is the typical example)

Anyway, the OP issue is clearly related to the cutout that fooles 6 bit sensors... me too had the same problem with my "old" Contarex lenses adapter (which had a cutout M bayonet ring) and had to buy a new one (from Kipon).

LTM adapter without cutout are easily available from Chinese sources and are of good quality, for my experience.

• Like 4

I rip off a small bit of white paper and lay it over the sensor before I put my Summitar on and it works perfectly.

Indeed, seems that "white is better"... :cool: : ... my Novoflex LEM/VIS adapter, which is completely black, and fully covering the BM flange, has a white little strip just along the 6 bit strip... of course without anymore (not the milled holes you find in the Chinese LTM adapters)... I wonder why they did so...

I may have the same Contarex-M adapter! :p

My solution to the "no lens attached" problem is to put a small piece of gaffers tape over the lens detector. Not pretty, but cheaper than buying another adapter. I also recently picked up a Sony a7 & it's a better fit w/the Contarex glass, anyway (though much more expensive than another adapter! ;)).

Anyway, the OP issue is clearly related to the cutout that fooles 6 bit sensors... me too had the same problem with my "old" Contarex lenses adapter (which had a cutout M bayonet ring) and had to buy a new one (from Kipon).

LTM adapter without cutout are easily available from Chinese sources and are of good quality, for my experience.

• Like 2

thank you all, for your replies. In deed the cut out was the problem. By a closer inspection, the sensor can be seen. But the small piece of white paper did the trick. Not very pretty, but I will use this so rarely, that for now at least, thats what I´ll use.

thanks again

It's a bit exaggerate, imho, to blame Leica for having made useless (partially, and on a camera announced in 2012) adapters they announced in 1954, to assure compatibility for lenses made even before...

Luigi, I agree.

But, that is not the point! This is 2014, and the M has upgradable firmware. There should be a firmware version that disables the "No lens detected", and a firmware version that overrides the "manual" lens detection setting when a coded lens is mounted.

Leica may be a small company, but how many man-hours do these simple requests require?

There should be the option of several versions of firmware available SIMULTANEOUSLY with different features for different users in different settings, not just THE latest version of firmware. Using a different version of firmware WILL NOT break the hardware.

How loudly do I have to yell. I know I am yelling, but that is deliberate

Guy

Edited by gvaliquette

Guy,

I agree with a lot of what you say but you have to remember that the no lens mounted feature was intended to protect the exposed sensor when LV or EVF is being used.

One point that people often fail to “get” is that the cut outs on many older LTM to M adapter rings were required to clear the infinity locking tabs found on many older Leica lenses. One purpose of these locking tabs was to facilitate unscrewing the lens.

Wilson

One point that people often fail to “get” is that the cut outs on many older LTM to M adapter rings were required to clear the infinity locking tabs found on many older Leica lenses. One purpose of these locking tabs was to facilitate unscrewing the lens.

Wilson

Wilson, agreed!

One NEEDS the cut-out for older lenses. But then, one cannot use the cut-out adapters on the newer camera!

My point!

Guy,

Luigi, I agree.

But, that is not the point! This is 2014, and the M has upgradable firmware. There should be a firmware version that disables the "No lens detected", and a firmware version that overrides the "manual" lens detection setting when a coded lens is mounted.

Leica may be a small company, but how many man-hours do these simple requests require?

There should be the option of several versions of firmware available SIMULTANEOUSLY with different features for different users in different settings, not just THE latest version of firmware. Using a different version of firmware WILL NOT break the hardware.

How loudly do I have to yell. I know I am yelling, but that is deliberate

Guy

As a moderator on this forum - Multiple firmwares ??:eek:

The resulting chaos threads would double my job.....:rolleyes:

Wilson, agreed!

One NEEDS the cut-out for older lenses. But then, one cannot use the cut-out adapters on the newer camera!

My point!

Guy,

There is sixty years between the two. Is using a little white sticker such a hassle?

Edited by jaapv

I don't see a necessity for "multiple firmware" to cope with the adapter issue.

It would be sufficient if the "normal" firmware had an option to switch off the "no lens" warning and the disabling of live view. The "overriding manual lens detection" option might be included in the same firmware or left out, since it refers to different functions.