I love my M

Paulus

Just curious if anyone on the forum has ever renewed the leather on the M body?

My M240's leather is doing just fine, but I'd like to pimp it further (after adding the EVF and Leica grip) with an interesting color leather. While in Wetzlar, it would be a good opportunity for a CLA / rangefinder adjustment etc.  

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Services/Leica-Individualisation

46 minutes ago, markhout said:

renewed the leather on the M body

Are you talking about the original finish as supplied new (which isn't leather)?

When i had my M9 sensor (free) replacement , there was an option to have "A la carte" leather at a reduced price. I did, and have to say it is superb. The leather is very thin and fits tightly and feels very nice when holding the camera. Hardest part was deciding the colour! Bought the matching strap too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Are you talking about the original finish as supplied new (which isn't leather)?

Hardest part was deciding the colour!

Indeed - was debating whether it would make sense to get a new color - and so many choices!

Your M9 looks spiffy - I'm convinced.

7 hours ago, pedaes said:

When i had my M9 sensor (free) replacement , there was an option to have "A la carte" leather at a reduced price. I did, and have to say it is superb. The leather is very thin and fits tightly and feels very nice when holding the camera. Hardest part was deciding the colour! Bought the matching strap too.

Nice work! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First post here but this seems an appropriate place and subject. 

Once upon a time I had a Leica CL and a Summitar. Loved it but had issues with the meter (don't they all?) and went Barnack for a couple of years with a IIIf and that Summitar. Well, cameras come cameras go and I went off on a Nikon journey for awhile Eventually that turned digital and I still have a nice D7100 and a small collection of nice F glass. But a little something was missing. A bit of an inheritance, some luck on Ebay (the _only_ bid!) and a bit of waiting later, I have a M 240 in my hands. 

The Voigtlander Nokton is the earlier LTM version. Very very nice lens though I do still need a Summitar again and a Canon 28/2.8 on the wide end. I have an Elmar 90/4 for the long end. 

A few hundred shots into my time, the knack of focusing has come back. More misses are because I've been spoiled by the uber metering on the Nikon but the M meter is fine once I get fully used to it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 5:07 AM, colint544 said:

1975 M5. I think it's probably my favourite analogue M. The balance and shape feel just right. And overlapping the needles in the viewfinder is, for me, almost zen-like, compared with the red LEDs of my M Monochrom.

I also think the M5 is quite beautiful, in an overbuilt kind of way. When you use one for a while, you begin to appreciate the thought that clearly went into the design. The dials for the ISO and shutter speed are easier to use, and just as reliable, as those on any other M. The rewind crank is super fast in operation (and has a clutch to prevent it turning the wrong way), and the loading system is genius.

You can tell that, with the M5, Leica were going all-out to compete with Nikon and Canon. I don't think they've ever done that since.

Exactly how was Leica trying to "go all-out to compete with Nikon and Canon"? I don't see it.

Leica MP | DR 50mm

Linhof Technikardan | Xenotar f2.8 150mm | Hasselblad-FilmBack | Trix D76
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kivis said:

Exactly how was Leica trying to "go all-out to compete with Nikon and Canon"? I don't see it.

Don't much care for the abrupt tone, mate. Five years since I made that post. I'll tell you in five years.

Who even cares anyway, what does it matter? What are we all doing on here? 

6 hours ago, colint544 said:

Don't much care for the abrupt tone, mate. Five years since I made that post. I'll tell you in five years.

Who even cares anyway, what does it matter? What are we all doing on here? 

Apologies, not being abrupt. Just didn't understand your comment. No worries.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kivis said:

Apologies, not being abrupt. Just didn't understand your comment. No worries.

Actually - I apologise, I'm sorry. I've not been active on this forum for weeks, I took a break, and just dipped in again yesterday. I've been an active member on here since 2007, and I think that's the first time I've been less than courteous to someone on here.

COVID has upended my life and livelihood. On top of that, my best friend died very recently from his cancer. I appreciate that this is no more, and no less, than a forum about camera gear and photography, and I should treat it as such. And there is no excuse for my rudeness.

What I meant about Leica competing with Canon and Nikon, was that - from my understanding - by the late 1960's, rangefinder cameras were losing massive market share to the Japanese SLR competition. The Japanese SLR cameras were of good quality, and had obvious advantages - such as built-in light meters - over the M2/3/4 that Leica were offering. Leica could see the threat, and they tried to make their M camera more competitive.  They threw the kitchen sink at the M5, but they also developed a range of SLR cameras. That was really all that I meant.

Anyway, best wishes, and again - apologies.

Colin

23 hours ago, colint544 said:

What I meant about Leica competing with Canon and Nikon, was that - from my understanding - by the late 1960's, rangefinder cameras were losing massive market share to the Japanese SLR competition. The Japanese SLR cameras were of good quality, and had obvious advantages - such as built-in light meters - over the M2/3/4 that Leica were offering. Leica could see the threat, and they tried to make their M camera more competitive.  They threw the kitchen sink at the M5, but they also developed a range of SLR cameras. That was really all that I meant.

Anyway, best wishes, and again - apologies.

Colin

We are all good. Just the love of gear and shooting. Interesting take. I agree that was a trying time for Leica. Leica forever (says the fan boy). 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do you do any "anon" of Red Dot or just go Full Monty ;)  My last idea looks like this, just because I'm getting some  random comments: oooo, ah Leica it is SO expensive, you must... bla bla bla 🤯

Also, please don't laugh at my soft release button xD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monochrome_Man said:

Do you do any "anon"

No picture to support, but @derleicamanposted that someone had put a silver sticker (?with lines not sure) where you have yours to replicate the framelines window, which sounds cool.

I am not laughing at your 'soft' release, but would worry about the torque applied to the release button if it catches on something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

I am not laughing at your 'soft' release, but would worry about the torque applied to the release button if it catches on something.

Just realized how right you are 😶

Just FIXed :) Cheers!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

No picture to support, but @derleicamanposted that someone had put a silver sticker (?with lines not sure) where you have yours to replicate the framelines window, which sounds cool.

Unfortunately, I noticed this in a random video someone had put up on Youtube about his upgrading to M10 cameras for his wedding photography. Don't remember who it was by. I do remember his use of tape or some sticker to simulate the light collecting window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1