I love my M4-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought this one used for abot €500. It has been serviced at the Leica- Factory in 2010 for about € 600. New leatherette, new (!) finder, CLA. Works perfectly. And i tell you what: As a owner of M2, M3, M6, M4 the M4-2 as good as any other analog M. The whole stories about less quality, made in Canada... don´t give a damn about that. It´s just nonsense and the M4-2 is totally underrated, in my opinion.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Fotoklaus
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

d6b104710a5f0afa6a64ebb526db99fb.jpg

The M4-2 is my first Leica camera and I'll gladly say I'm in love!

I brought this one to end my gear acquisition, and it worked great. That was the last camera i got in months now.

I use it daily with a Ultron 35/1.7 which is a great lens for street photography. Looks a bit out of place on the black M4-2, but I don't mind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

d6b104710a5f0afa6a64ebb526db99fb.jpg

The M4-2 is my first Leica camera and I'll gladly say I'm in love!

I brought this one to end my gear acquisition, and it worked great. That was the last camera i got in months now.

I use it daily with a Ultron 35/1.7 which is a great lens for street photography. Looks a bit out of place on the black M4-2, but I don't mind it.

Please post some of your results in the I like film thread you would be made very welcome- thanks. Great choice of camera btw.

Regards

Christopher

Edited by mrckdavies

Please post some of your results in the I like film thread you would be made very welcome- thanks. Great choice of camera btw.

Regards

Christopher

I'll probably post some stuff soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just found this forum, I'm looking forward to joining in. I got my "new" M4-2 a few weeks ago. I bought a voigtlander 35mm 2.5 which is great, I also have a russian 3.5cm f3.5 and a jupiter 50mm f2, I'm hoping to replace the 50's with some old Leica 50mm glass soon, budget willing, it will probably be a summitar. I owned and used an M2 about 25 years ago with an Elmar 50mm f2.8 and elmarit 3.5cm f3.5 and the new camera has brought me back to my old images, projects that I shot during my college days. I'm looking in to having my old negs and slides scanned to preserve them.

myM42_06.jpg

Edited by welshtog
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just found this forum, I'm looking forward to joining in. I got my "new" M4-2 a few weeks ago. I bought a voigtlander 35mm 2.5 which is great, I also have a russian 3.5cm f3.5 and a jupiter 50mm f2, I'm hoping to replace the 50's with some old Leica 50mm glass soon, budget willing, it will probably be a summitar. I owned and used an M2 about 25 years ago with an Elmar 50mm f2.8 and elmarit 3.5cm f3.5 and the new camera has brought me back to my old images, projects that I shot during my college days. I'm looking in to having my old negs and slides scanned to preserve them.

myM42_06.jpg

Hi, just before you question your focussing ability you should know that the old Russian lenses don't have the same focussing point as the M lenses. It only a matter of a few centimetres close up at f2 on the fifty. But you do question your close focus if your not aware. I've a nice set for my FED but they don't focus ok on my M's wide open. The 35mm may be fine, mine was sold as Leica Gang so it may have been adjusted.

Here are mine

42888670e034ca0d048ab9adda42e962.jpg

Please post some shots on the "I like film" thread if you have time. Any problems and I'll give you link.

Kind regards

Christopher from Neath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi, just before you question your focussing ability you should know that the old Russian lenses don't have the same focussing point as the M lenses. It only a matter of a few centimetres close up at f2 on the fifty. But you do question your close focus if your not aware. I've a nice set for my FED but they don't focus ok on my M's wide open. The 35mm may be fine, mine was sold as Leica Gang so it may have been adjusted.

Here are mine

Please post some shots on the "I like film" thread if you have time. Any problems and I'll give you link.

Kind regards

Christopher from Neath

Hey !!! thanks, you're just down the road, I'm in Swansea. Small world.

• Like 1

Hey !!! thanks, you're just down the road, I'm in Swansea. Small world.

Thank you for posting earlier in the I like film forum. As you discovered it's a great place with people from NY and New Zealand, France, Germany, even Neath posting.

I'd love to say we go shooting one day together, but my life is a busy hamster wheel with scarcely a few minutes each week to dedicate to the cause.

Life's hectic with my daughter belonging to a swimming club and Theatre School. We also attend a local church and spend Sundays with aging Mothers who still help us out.

I get the odd couple of hours late on Saturdays to exercise my trigger finger and develop films. Far too late mostly to catch the best daylight.

It's a mad non stop life at the moment- and I try and get to the gym a couple of times a week because I'm mostly stuck behind a desk during the day. (That's another story)

Occasionally I get to plan some time out for just myself for a few hours. Sometimes it needs sorting to remain sane!

So one day we may just get to meet up and take some shots together - it would be so good! But it's not going to happen anytime soon I think. Longer days are around the corner though. Late Saturdays are my best calendar free time; so it's not impossible.

It's good to know someone else locally shares the passion for film. I dev C41 and scan every couple of weeks. I have an M3 and M6 TTL amongst other things. Your b&w are great too btw. I'm just a hobby photographer since comprehensive school in 1977, 40 years now!

Best wishes and thanks again

Christopher

• Like 1

Thank you for posting earlier in the I like film forum. As you discovered it's a great place with people from NY and New Zealand, France, Germany, even Neath posting.

I'd love to say we go shooting one day together, but my life is a busy hamster wheel with scarcely a few minutes each week to dedicate to the cause.

Life's hectic with my daughter belonging to a swimming club and Theatre School. We also attend a local church and spend Sundays with aging Mothers who still help us out.

I get the odd couple of hours late on Saturdays to exercise my trigger finger and develop films. Far too late mostly to catch the best daylight.

It's a mad non stop life at the moment- and I try and get to the gym a couple of times a week because I'm mostly stuck behind a desk during the day. (That's another story)

Occasionally I get to plan some time out for just myself for a few hours. Sometimes it needs sorting to remain sane!

So one day we may just get to meet up and take some shots together - it would be so good! But it's not going to happen anytime soon I think. Longer days are around the corner though. Late Saturdays are my best calendar free time; so it's not impossible.

It's good to know someone else locally shares the passion for film. I dev C41 and scan every couple of weeks. I have an M3 and M6 TTL amongst other things. Your b&w are great too btw. I'm just a hobby photographer since comprehensive school in 1977, 40 years now!

Best wishes and thanks again

Christopher

Amazing to have someone so close. My day job is photography, i shot with a Leica IIIB, M2 and hassy 25 years ago through college in Swansea. I studied photojournalism, i was lucky enough to spend two months work experience at Magnum London, where i met Eve Arnold and had a critique session with Elliott Erwitt.

After college i sold all my leica kit to buy a 'proper' camera, canon EOS5, i freelanced for a year or two in Swansea then got a job at a press agency covering news in Wales for the UK national press, i was there for eight years before going freelance again (best move i ever made) by now completely digital my business grew and now i mainly shoot advertising and PR in the week and weddings at the weekend, i love shooting weddings because it's the closest thing i get to photojournalism again.

I bought a Zorki 1 about a year to show my son how we "used to do it" but i never found much time to shoot film, And then a few weeks ago i decided to buy an M and after some research decided on an M4 because i wanted a big clear 35mm frame for my glasses. From a budget point of view the M4-2 was the cheapest option. And i love it, i've been going back to my old negs and slides and getting inspired to really start thinking more about composition and moments again. I hope having the M will improve my general photography again.

My commercial work is at (slightly out of date) www.grafichouse.co.uk and my wedding work is at www.mybigdayphotos.co.uk

• Like 1

Amazing to have someone so close. My day job is photography, i shot with a Leica IIIB, M2 and hassy 25 years ago through college in Swansea. I studied photojournalism, i was lucky enough to spend two months work experience at Magnum London, where i met Eve Arnold and had a critique session with Elliott Erwitt.

After college i sold all my leica kit to buy a 'proper' camera, canon EOS5, i freelanced for a year or two in Swansea then got a job at a press agency covering news in Wales for the UK national press, i was there for eight years before going freelance again (best move i ever made) by now completely digital my business grew and now i mainly shoot advertising and PR in the week and weddings at the weekend, i love shooting weddings because it's the closest thing i get to photojournalism again.

I bought a Zorki 1 about a year to show my son how we "used to do it" but i never found much time to shoot film, And then a few weeks ago i decided to buy an M and after some research decided on an M4 because i wanted a big clear 35mm frame for my glasses. From a budget point of view the M4-2 was the cheapest option. And i love it, i've been going back to my old negs and slides and getting inspired to really start thinking more about composition and moments again. I hope having the M will improve my general photography again.

My commercial work is at (slightly out of date) www.grafichouse.co.uk and my wedding work is at www.mybigdayphotos.co.uk

Man you have an awesome resumé. I am slightly jealous in a way as you succeeded where I was not allowed to go. My family never saw it as a proper job or education so I studied German at Swansea University and History of Art for my first year.

My mothers side is German. It explains a lot.

Now I'm a Systems Manager, for an organisation assisting the government look after trunk roads in South Wales. Essentially when we are given money to maintain and improve roads we ensure that is spent wisely with minimum risk to WG and in accordance with national Highway Standards.

So I must also explain that my colour perception is also off. While I love colour the paler shades leave me often embarrassed. The less I mess with colour the better so scanning negs is good and I know Kodak Portra 400 has a green tinge so I tone the green down to 80%. For B&W I use XP2 and some old C41 Kodak stock (frozen).

In my time I've shot MF too; Lubitel - Yashicamat 124G and Mamiya C330S TLR.

I have a ton of old stuff too I'd love to digitise.

Kind regards

Christopher

Edited by mrckdavies

Here are mine

Kind regards

Christopher from Neath

Thanks Christopher, I wasn't aware of that, the Jupiter has performed quite well but I'd love to swap it for a collapsible Leica 50mm, I can't stretch to a Summicron, but I've been looking at a few Summitar sales on the bay, unless there's a better place to get one.

Thanks Christopher, I wasn't aware of that, the Jupiter has performed quite well but I'd love to swap it for a collapsible Leica 50mm, I can't stretch to a Summicron, but I've been looking at a few Summitar sales on the bay, unless there's a better place to get one.

I actually have a collapsible Leica 50/2.8 myself from the bay too. I hardly use it unless it's summer.

They are really good if space is a restriction though. My personal fav is the CZ Sonnar f1.5. It makes dreamy portraits. I also have a f1.5 Summarit that is on one of Cartier Bressons portraits. It came with my M3 and Leicameter for £700 off the bay - with original case. It was on for 15 minutes and I am so pleased with the set.

The 50 collapsible is like new almost - you can tell people use them as stepping stones. They do flare when pointed into the light so I use a large metal clip on shade.

I'll dig mine out and send you some snaps with my M9.

Regards

Christopher

I actually have a collapsible Leica 50/2.8 myself from the bay too. I hardly use it unless it's summer.

They are really good if space is a restriction though. My personal fav is the CZ Sonnar f1.5. It makes dreamy portraits. I also have a f1.5 Summarit that is on one of Cartier Bressons portraits. It came with my M3 and Leicameter for £700 off the bay - with original case. It was on for 15 minutes and I am so pleased with the set.

The 50 collapsible is like new almost - you can tell people use them as stepping stones. They do flare when pointed into the light so I use a large metal clip on shade.

I'll dig mine out and send you some snaps with my M9.

Regards

Christopher

So any Idea how the Canon LTM 50mm 1.8 / 1.9 compare. Cheaper Summitar's tend to be scratched to hell.

anybody know if you can get replacement inserts for the frame finder lever ? I've noticed mine's not the only one with it missing. I thought about trying to make a wooden one to match my soft release. although I do also like it "naked"

• Like 1

So any Idea how the Canon LTM 50mm 1.8 / 1.9 compare. Cheaper Summitar's tend to be scratched to hell.

Also take a look at Voigtlander 50F1.5 here it is on my M4-2, most of the Voigtlander lenses are great i have a 50F1.5 40F1.4 35F2.5 color scopar 28F2 Ulton all M mount

DSC00850-XL.jpg

Edited by gsgary
  • Like 1