I love my M

Paulus

• 2 months later...

My 240:

19931657729_4e2b3f1a87_c_d.jpg

Since this is a M240 thread I can be sycophantic: Beautiful, solid, reliable, any SD card, fast, no sensor issues, robust and precise RF, no waiting or paying for development, outstanding IQ, great screen, excellent thumb grip, solid metal wheel, lovely focus, top ergonomics - absolutely my top camera ever at this present time ...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall that you recently had it up for sale. Presumably you have changed your mind? :)

I changed a black one for a silver one. And then the silver one for a pristine 100 year silver one with just under 2 years guarantee :o

My camera life is complicated ;) keeps me amuzed I guess ...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

fick·le

ˈfik(ə)l/
adjective

1. changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.
    "Web patrons are a notoriously fickle lot, bouncing from one site to another on a whim"
    synonyms: capriciouschangeablevariablevolatilemercurialMore

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had to trade, craigslist, and scrounge all the cash I had around the house--I landed a Safari edition as well.  Stupid what it cost.  It was the 'first' time in many years I HAD to have a camera.  Now it stares at me wondering why i'm not taking pictures with it....time will come. Grabbed the Canons for assignment work last night--images were published from Bangor to Tokyo.  That Safari needs to get too work.  But in the meantime, it's worth every dollar just sitting on my desk.

At $9990 USD, it is less money than a standard M-P, 35 'cron ASPH, Leica strap and the leather Leica memory card wallet. 

Leica cameras and lenses are undeniably costly.  "Costly" and "overpriced" are two distinctly different concepts, though.

• Like 1

Luckily, I've managed to really dwindle my camera gear and photographic lifestyle down to one camera and one 35mm lens for the last two years.

The M is damn beautiful and the Summarit 35mm, while not super fast is plenty for what I need and is still a damn good lens.

There is nothing like giving yourself the option of either making pictures or not, and leaving the gear choices out of it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

So many beautiful M cameras!

Since a couple of weeks I own a preused silver M and it's such a great fun to shoot with it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

W124:

That is a very nice camera... and non standard...

You have the M on the front, same as the standard 240, but with the M-P script on the top plate.

If I could have found a chrome one marked like that, I would have been delighted. 

VERY good buy...

I you already have a chrome one , you can order a black dot and let Leica make the writing on the top. It's about €380,- I believe.

That's a MUCH nicer version than the 100 years option. I think you would have got tired of it after a while.

Yours, on the other hand, is actually pretty special.

The one you have will be a real classic and it will be quite rare. The black dot is easy enough to get... but the text on the front AND on top is very unusual indeed. That will have been a special request by the previous owner.

As I said before. A VERY good buy... :)

EDIT: Paulus, my M is an M-P in black paint ( and just beginning to show a little brassing which I was quite upset about at first... but I am learning it's something thought of as desirable on here, so now I'm fine about it...  :p ).

Edited by Bill Livingston

I you already have a chrome one , you can order a black dot and let Leica make the writing on the top. It's about €380,- I believe.

Is this part of the a la carte program? Can they do engraving in the camera or is it needed to replace the top plate?

Edited by W124
  • Like 1

Luckily, I've managed to really dwindle my camera gear and photographic lifestyle down to one camera and one 35mm lens for the last two years.

The M is damn beautiful and the Summarit 35mm, while not super fast is plenty for what I need and is still a damn good lens.

There is nothing like giving yourself the option of either making pictures or not, and leaving the gear choices out of it!

Spent most of today shooting my M-E with the35mm f/2.5 Summarit (also used an ancient 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit a bit).  The Summarit needs no apologies in any way.  It isn't the fastest lens around, but it makes up for its slower speed with lighter weight and an absolutely beautiful rendering that is somehow sharp and contrasts without being clinical.  It is my favorite 35mm rangefinder lens, period.

• 3 months later...

Had to trade, craigslist, and scrounge all the cash I had around the house--I landed a Safari edition as well.  Stupid what it cost.  It was the 'first' time in many years I HAD to have a camera.  Now it stares at me wondering why i'm not taking pictures with it....time will come. Grabbed the Canons for assignment work last night--images were published from Bangor to Tokyo.  That Safari needs to get too work.  But in the meantime, it's worth every dollar just sitting on my desk.

When my first new rangefinder showed up - an M6TTL - it, too, stared at me, for a week: I would pack it to work, where it would stare at me, pack it home, where it would stare at me, back and forth. Terrifying. Realizing I was intimidated by it, I simply taped it over. Logo-less, it reverted to tool, and became one of my favorites ever.

-CayceP

the M240 only required a black dot in place of the red: looks like it's wearing a tux

the Safari is going to be a bit tougher: a green camera with silver trim isn't exactly camouflaged in Bangor or Tokyo

Edited by icqcq