M240 resets to factory defaults - known bug?

MirekE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My camera yesterday reset to factory defaults. This is pretty annoying, because the camera started shooting jpeg instead of DNG without any warning. Also the personal information needs to be punched in again, which is not my favorite way of spending my free time. The battery was full and was not removed that day. Last actions before this happened: I was fiddling with WB, removed and reinserted the card, formatted the card and shot several pictures.

Is this a known issue? I don't want to part with my camera for many weeks to find that this could have been addressed by firmware update.

Thanks!

This has been happening ever since Leica introduced the Stupid mode on their digital Ms... It is a major annoyance to users and the best thing for Leica to do is imo to make the default mode user-programmable like all other user settings.

This has been happening ever since Leica introduced the Stupid mode on their digital Ms... It is a major annoyance to users and the best thing for Leica to do is imo to make the default mode user-programmable like all other user settings.

What is the "Stupid" mode and can I prevent it from happening again?

They call it the default user setting now. It contains the setup of the camera that Leica fondly -and erroneously- believes to be the preferred way the averaged owner would use it. In reality dumbs the camera down to soccer-mom level. As it has a habit of falling into this default mode at inconvenient moments it is a source of constant irritation.

• Like 1

You don't lose your settings -it is not a reset- the camera just goes to the immutable default user mode, choose one of your own presets in the menu again and your settings are unaltered. I think you mean an SD card.

Edited by jaapv

Diglloyd, who known more about camera testing in practise than some here care to admit, has this reset as one of the problems he finds with the Leica M. We are many who hopes wonders from the awaitwd firmware upgrade.

And his annoyance with the Summicrom 50 ASP flare now seems to have been acknowleged by Leica. They will fix your flairing lens.

• Like 1

But you didn't loose your user profiles did you.

I have been using only the default settings so far. I am not sure if other profiles would be lost or not, but the reset wiped off even the copyright info. Honestly, I still do not understand what other people are saying. Is the reset to factory defaults a known problem or not? Would it help if I saved my settings under custom (as opposed to default) profile?

Thanks.

Edited by MirekE