I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Weissenhofsiedlung, Stuttgart Killesberg, 1927

This building was created by the architect Mart Stam (1899-1986)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R6, Summilux R 1,4/50mm, Kentmere 400, Adox XT3, Epson V800, Darktable

• Like 11

Leaves and Light

Nikon F4 / Micro-nikkor 60 AFD / CMS20ii / Adotech

• Like 13

On coming through security at Barbados a few years ago, I had a security wonk ask me to turn on my M4 camera. I tried to explain that it was a wholly mechanical camera using film and not even having a battery for a lightmeter so no on/off switch. You could see the total lack of comprehension on the young man's face. "Well if it has no battery how can it take photos then" was his question. Again I tried to explain light sensitive silver halide compounds on a plastic film substrate, which resulted in more blank looks. He had to go and find an older colleague who basically told him he was an idiot and apologised to me for the ignorance of the younger generation. It will soon be the case when security officers will ask: "Well how do you make phone calls on that and where can you look up your Tik-Tok favourites". 

Wilson

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

vor 6 Stunden schrieb DreiPunkte:

I just returned from Norway and had several security checks domestic and national flights.
My Films in the bulkfilm tins are alway manual were checked on demand without any complains.
The tins were accepted unopened. Two timesss I had to turn my camerabag the the "left"
and they demand me to open the Cameras. They have a look through every lens.
I can discribe the hole procedure as friendly and professional.

Thank you for the information. It's somewhat comforting to hear that. Unfortunately, my experiences haven't been so positive thus far. However, I've since abandoned my plan to switch to the dark side and travel digitally, and instead, I'm in the process of assembling an analog setup. Now, I just hope that my (purchased new three years ago) MP finds its way home after more than half a year in Wetzlar...

I think it helps a lot that I transport and present my filmmaterial in mesh bags imediate
without asking. Next I open my Billingham and take the Cameras out on the tray.
and so on. I never had problems. Also I lable all films with 3200ASA handwritten
stickers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Old bridge of Heidelberg (River Neckar) at night (Leica M4-2, Voigtländer Heliar 40/2,8, Ilford HP5):

• Like 16

Scrap Index
MP APO 50 ADOX Mission

• Like 11

i-2, Polaroid I-type color

• Like 14

Sorting through some of the pictures I took in Oaxaca, Mexico, back in 2011, I'm reminded of some extraordinary experiences. This picture, taken at the town dump, is of a lovely man I met there, who makes his living scrounging what he can from the debris. I remember it being a very hot, bright day, and wanting to use flash to get some detail in the shadow under his hat. In the end I stacked yellow and green filters on the lens and set the ISO to 100 - and still had to use f22 at the sync speed of 1/50. I actually love trying to find workarounds in challenging situations so this was very satisfying when I got the negatives and proof sheets back.

oaxaca, mexico 2011

m6ttl, 28mm elmarit, y&g filters, XP2 Super, SF20 flash

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

Sorting through some of the pictures I took in Oaxaca, Mexico, back in 2011, I'm reminded of some extraordinary experiences. This picture, taken at the town dump, is of a lovely man I met there, who makes his living scrounging what he can from the debris. I remember it being a very hot, bright day, and wanting to use flash to get some detail in the shadow under his hat. In the end I stacked yellow and green filters on the lens and set the ISO to 100 - and still had to use f22 at the sync speed of 1/50. I actually love trying to find workarounds in challenging situations so this was very satisfying when I got the negatives and proof sheets back.

oaxaca, mexico 2011

m6ttl, 28mm elmarit, y&g filters, XP2 Super, SF20 flash

Such a great shot. It looks very natural and it is such a strong scene. 

• Like 2

Leica M3, 50mm Summicron v.3, Tri-X.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Dusty old negs revisited. Macy's, New York, 1979. Leica M4, 35mm Summicron v.3, Tri-X.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Aryel said:

Such a great shot. It looks very natural and it is such a strong scene. 

Thank you so much Aryel! I couldn’t help but think of this man as heroic in his determination to eke out a living in such miserable conditions.

BTW if you look carefully you may be able to spot the dog…

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1

MINOX 8x11

• Like 11

Been down the 8 x 11 route where I have three cameras. 2 x Minox and i Rolleiflex TLR. In the end, unless you are using the 25 ISO film, the images are just too grainy. Same problem with my Leicina Special which has about the same size images on super 8 film, just not enough resolution. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

vor 30 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

just not enough resolution

Thanks for the comment. This is no stranger to me. You see it from the perspective of the results, I see it from the perspective of maintaining the format, cultivating this technical culture.

No sport shooter today uses a muzzle loader from the 18th century, but as a tradition of remembrance, people use it to shoot straw men.