I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Broken Wing

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Hello Phil, thank you very much for the hint ! The report about the time with Mary Ellen Mark sounds truly fascinating, especially in connection with the fantastic pictures. You confirm my experience that it's worth putting effort and work into a project. While there may be the occasional stroke of luck, most of the time, at least in my case, you don't get more out than you put in...

And something else aligns with my experience: It's always worth photographically stepping out of one's comfort zone and approaching people. It's almost always the pictures of people you've talked to, or at least interacted with, that stand out in retrospect from the mass of pictures.

It might be a coincidence, but just now while cleaning up my hard drive, I stumbled upon some pictures I took during a photo excursion in Cuba back in 2006. I've uploaded a few of them here: 

Thank you sincerely Klaus, for your kind thoughts on my work.

Your Cuba pictures are wonderful, as are the stories you have shared. You were there at an interesting and transitional time, and had the wherewithall to get to know some of the people who lived the history from the revolution onwards. A beautifully nuanced mini-reportage of a fascinating country at an important time in its history.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Hello Phil, thank you very much for the hint ! The report about the time with Mary Ellen Mark sounds truly fascinating, especially in connection with the fantastic pictures. You confirm my experience that it's worth putting effort and work into a project. While there may be the occasional stroke of luck, most of the time, at least in my case, you don't get more out than you put in...

And something else aligns with my experience: It's always worth photographically stepping out of one's comfort zone and approaching people. It's almost always the pictures of people you've talked to, or at least interacted with, that stand out in retrospect from the mass of pictures.

It might be a coincidence, but just now while cleaning up my hard drive, I stumbled upon some pictures I took during a photo excursion in Cuba back in 2006. I've uploaded a few of them here: 

What an excellent series of fotos, a joy to see! Thanks. 

• Thanks 2

After work. Ireland. Leica M2, 35mm Summilux, Tri-X.

Edited by Bo-Sixten
  • Like 15

No Go Cityscape
MP APO 50 ADOX Mission

• Like 16

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In focus

Fuji Neopan 400, Perceptol

• Like 18

• Like 17

• Like 17

On 3/28/2024 at 4:15 AM, stray cat said:

Users of Leica film cameras may be interested to read an article I’ve been honoured to have published in the excellent “The Camera From Wetzlar” online magazine: - E-book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iboCUwFZj_OOMjTZy4OoOxxMQfh9eOaO/view?usp=share_link

- Pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iCo0dFFLXJH5ZelcwjqzwQGlaOd49Au3/view?usp=sharing

I highly recommend subscribing (it’s free) to the magazine anyway, it’s a start-up by a passionate team of Leica enthusiasts who fund it themselves and always has interesting stories and articles as well as excellent photography, reviews and so on.

I was finally able to coerce my computer to blink awake with your mini-diary account of navigating a photography workshop in Oaxaca with Mary Ellen Mark. I can only imagine the daunting orders of the day: take your Leica out there and let me see how you look at the world. Crisp images, unrehearsed. This calls for a yellow filter to take the edge off of the bright sunlight. I keep thinking of Humphrey Bogart’s character in “To Have and Have Not,” when he explains what Edward G.Robinson’s character wants. “He wants more.“ Lke Rocco, I want more. Cut and print, Phil.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Ernest said:

I was finally able to coerce my computer to blink awake with your mini-diary account of navigating a photography workshop in Oaxaca with Mary Ellen Mark. I can only imagine the daunting orders of the day: take your Leica out there and let me see how you look at the world. Crisp images, unrehearsed. This calls for a yellow filter to take the edge off of the bright sunlight. I keep thinking of Humphrey Bogart’s character in “To Have and Have Not,” when he explains what Edward G.Robinson’s character wants. “He wants more.“ Lke Rocco, I want more. Cut and print, Phil.

Thank you so very much, most sincerely, Rog. I'm very glad to hear you've been able to drag your ailing computer back from the abyss. The experience in Mexico was truly incredible, and I do think there's great value for any of us who want to tweak our chops to join in a workshop with a photographer we absolutely admire. As for me, I'm always more than happy to be lumped in with the great Humphrey Bogart*, although I must say I recall that brilliant piece of dialogue being scripted in "Key Largo". Great movies, all the same, all of those Bogart noir and wartime pieces.

*not that I ever have been before your kind comment

• Haha 1

"Friedrich-Ebert-Wohnhof Killesberg Bau- und Heimstättenverein", Stuttgart

Leica R6, Summilux R 1,4/50mm, Kentmere 100, Adox XT3, Epson V800, darktable

Edited by thschm
Leerzeile entfernt
  • Like 17

13 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thank you so very much, most sincerely, Rog. I'm very glad to hear you've been able to drag your ailing computer back from the abyss. The experience in Mexico was truly incredible, and I do think there's great value for any of us who want to tweak our chops to join in a workshop with a photographer we absolutely admire. As for me, I'm always more than happy to be lumped in with the great Humphrey Bogart*, although I must say I recall that brilliant piece of dialogue being scripted in "Key Largo". Great movies, all the same, all of those Bogart noir and wartime pieces.

*not that I ever have been before your kind comment

Scrambled, I was admittedly distracted by Lauren Bacall and just the thought of having not while learning how to whistle, searching for the key to Largo.

• Haha 1

m2, summilux 35 v2, delta 3200

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

St. Patrick's Day Parade - Denver 2024 - Leica M6, Voigtlander Ultron 28/2 ii, Fujifilm 400

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

"Friedrich-Ebert-Wohnhof Killesberg Bau- und Heimstättenverein", Stuttgart

Leica R6, Summilux R 1,4/50mm, Kentmere 100, Adox XT3, Epson V800, darktable

• Like 10

Driftwood with artifacts.  

Leica R6.2, Summicron-R 50 (E55), Kodak Vision3 500T (no filter).

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Friedel said:

Polishing his car, Havanna Cuba

Contax G2,Biogon 28 mm, Ektachrome, converted to BW

Wonderful photograph.  Those Contax lenses are matchless.   I stupidly sold my G2 with the terrific trio of lenses when the camera's electronics started to act up.  But in a way, that was a good thing--Whenever I used the camera, I used think it was dumb to use any other camera when the results from the Contax were so astoundingly superior. 

• Like 1

Tide out.   [m6, 35, fp4]

• Like 11