I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Talking of the confusion between analog and digital, I sold my Flextight X1, and have been using the Nikon 9000. I had occasion lately to pick up a used Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8, so I thought I might as well try out the film digitiser that Nikon sells to screw on to the front of their DSLRs. If you use the easy in-camera system you only get a JPEG, but there's nothing to stop you making a RAW instead, then inverting it yourself later on. So I picked an unused frame from my last roll of XP2 Super, photographed itwith the 60mm macro on a D850, inverted it in Affinity Photo, exported as a TIFF, then played a little in Silver Efex and made a JPEG from that. Dreadful looking sad-sack of a subject, but I was quite impressed with the quality of the digitization, which seems to be as good as the 9000.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Smoke on the water. Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Kodak Tmax 100, PMK 1:2:100 10' 24° (a bit underdeveloped I think).

• Like 18

Am 11.9.2021 um 02:00 schrieb Ernest:

Modern Language Divisor
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & E100
Working with nothingness, but the margins matter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rog, I like the juxtaposition of the primary color upper margin against the primordial soup of the central part of the picture. Puts a lid on the mess. 

(Flashback to the times when I had an aquarium and dared to go holidays... )

Am 12.9.2021 um 22:37 schrieb philipus:

One of the most exciting parts of my photo project was that I got to visit many of the technical rooms that few staff members, me included, knew existed. They provide the biggest contrast to the other areas of the building, I think. This is the motor that made the old lift I showed earlier move. To get to this space one had to go through an almost invisible hatch in the middle of a wall of a large office space, then through a narrow and quite long corridor which eventually turned right and there it was. The motor was in perfect working order of course.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

what a dinosaur... worthwhile to get photographed

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Retro Pulse Diptych
M-A Thambar-M ADOX Color Implosion & Rollei Red Bird

The "reflection"  in complementary color makes this a great diptych

vor 9 Stunden schrieb AntonioF:

Beach Time - Leica IIIc, Soligor 35/3.5 LTM, HP5

Lovely, Antonio ! 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Cheerios. A very clean food.......for these crazy times.

Nikon F2, Nikkor 50/1.8, Fuji 400

The little guy seems to enjoy the cheerios.. All mine ! 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Bo-Sixten:

55mm 1:4 Distagon Rolleiflex wide. Tri-X, D76.

Bo, great composition !   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

When I saw another Moon-shot in one the digital threads of the LUF, I thought:

I Can Do That  !! Here's my humble result.  

Or should I call it: Moon over the Neckar Valley ? 

MP; Summarit 2,4/50; Portra 400 @200

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, chrism said:

Talking of the confusion between analog and digital, I sold my Flextight X1, and have been using the Nikon 9000. I had occasion lately to pick up a used Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8, so I thought I might as well try out the film digitiser that Nikon sells to screw on to the front of their DSLRs. If you use the easy in-camera system you only get a JPEG, but there's nothing to stop you making a RAW instead, then inverting it yourself later on. So I picked an unused frame from my last roll of XP2 Super, photographed itwith the 60mm macro on a D850, inverted it in Affinity Photo, exported as a TIFF, then played a little in Silver Efex and made a JPEG from that. Dreadful looking sad-sack of a subject, but I was quite impressed with the quality of the digitization, which seems to be as good as the 9000.

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing the process. It is amazing the things that fly right by me as I sit around absorbed in the humiliation of aging. :)

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1

Holga with and without the fisheye. Portra 400 in Cinestill C-41.

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 19

21 hours ago, AntonioF said:

I like it. It seems to be very low contrast, but I don't know how it compares to other vintage 35mm screwmount lenses. 

because its also great [or lets say not bad, way cheaper than a 6000$ coastal optics quartz lens] for UV photography...i keep a lookout for lenses from 1960-70 for their unintended UV transmission properties ;)

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

Being a damned fool I thought I'd try to see what happens if I try to digitize a colour negative with the D850. After several hours I have it working, but it took all sorts of trial and error. I used to rely on FlexColor to do good conversions of colour negatives when they went through the X1, and otherwise used the ColorPerfect plug-in in PS. Well, PS has gone from my life, but ColorPerfect also runs in a German app called PhotoLine (both must run in intel mode on an M1 Mac). My problems were in getting a TIF from the NEF file that the plug-in would like. TIFs made by Photos, Affinity Photo and PhotoLine itself would not work, or gave peculiar colours. But, if I open the NEF in Graphic Converter, save it as a TIF, then open thta in PhotoLine, the ColorPerfect plug-in works perfectly! This an OM2n shot with Portra 160, developed at home.

First the X1 scan with FlexColor conversion:

Now the D850 raw NEF, processed as above with ColorPerfect inversion:

Second looks better colour-wise. First looks more detailed, but then it probably has had some sharpening and structure added, whereas the second is straight from ColorPerfect.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid I only see the first one Chris. 

21 minutes ago, chrism said:

Being a damned fool I thought I'd try to see what happens if I try to digitize a colour negative with the D850. After several hours I have it working, but it took all sorts of trial and error. I used to rely on FlexColor to do good conversions of colour negatives when they went through the X1, and otherwise used the ColorPerfect plug-in in PS. Well, PS has gone from my life, but ColorPerfect also runs in a German app called PhotoLine (both must run in intel mode on an M1 Mac). My problems were in getting a TIF from the NEF file that the plug-in would like. TIFs made by Photos, Affinity Photo and PhotoLine itself would not work, or gave peculiar colours. But, if I open the NEF in Graphic Converter, save it as a TIF, then open thta in PhotoLine, the ColorPerfect plug-in works perfectly! This an OM2n shot with Portra 160, developed at home.

Second looks better colour-wise. First looks more detailed, but then it probably has had some sharpening and structure added, whereas the second is straight from ColorPerfect.

• Like 1

Wayne, who is a man of many talents, very kindly pointed out that the previous photo didn't show any generators at all, but boilers in fact. I'm very grateful for this correction and think it is also rather funny how an expression can take on a life of its own. Everyone called those two orange beasts "the generators", well except for the people who actually know their boiler from their generator. Clearly most people in a building full of lawyers don't, haha.

Here, however, is most definitely a diesel generator. This is the old generator and it has lived in this room since the building was constructed in the 1950s. It was maintained and worked perfectly, even if it hadn't been in regular use for many years. Personally I like the impression it gives of a massive rhinoceros. It's big, close to 2m tall.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

Edited by philipus
  • Like 18

44 minutes ago, chrism said:

Chris with the 850 you can use the original Epson software without needing other softwares like Silverfast or Vuescan
it works very well and gives beautiful colors or Black White
Scan in TIFF the size is sufficient so that the color palette is rich and that you can then work as you want
The Nikon 9000 in my opinion will give your scans with a little more definition compared to the Epson

Best

The color picture above is very nice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

Chris with the 850 you can use the original Epson software without needing other softwares like Silverfast or Vuescan

Lovely to hear from you, mon ami! This is relating to the Nikon D850, rather than the Epson V850. I don't think there would be any advantage to using the V850 over my Nikon 9000, but using a film copier on the D850 is very fast. It's just the in-computer processing afterwards that has given me some grief.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrism said:

Lovely to hear from you, mon ami! This is relating to the Nikon D850, rather than the Epson V850. I don't think there would be any advantage to using the V850 over my Nikon 9000, but using a film copier on the D850 is very fast. It's just the in-computer processing afterwards that has given me some grief.

....   sorry for the confusion
Chris you fall back in this case in digital with colors not faithful like the film

Best

29 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

....   sorry for the confusion
Chris you fall back in this case in digital with colors not faithful like the film

Best

Ah, but which unfaithful digital colours shall we dismiss? Those created by the CCD in the Flextight scanner, or those made by the CMOS in the D850? Both devices are photographing the same negative. The photo is four years old now, and I don't remember the actual conditions. I would say the second looks more like the kind of light and colours I see along the shore here.