I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All these comments and questions concerning digitization of negatives brought something forward through the fog in my head. I recall, many years ago, before digital dominated everything, Some "experts" of the time put forward the opinion that film had nothing to worry about as the resolution of the digital sensor would never reach a level to compete with what was possible with film. I imagine that that prophecy has fallen on its face. It makes me  wonder if there is a level of digital resolution which we are better off not to exceed when digitizing a negative, e.g. might a Nikon D700 be better than newer models with higher resolution? To this day, when I see digital images I captured with the old D700, they present a much more pleasing experience that many of the digital images I encounter from more modern digital cameras.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 4

Leica iiif + Canon 50mm LTM + Cinestill 800T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Stefan2010 said:

great shot, I love it :)

Thank you Stefan and all those who left a like, very much appreciated. I have a series of these, each trying to capture a different emotion and using colour (I mostly use black and white). I found Cinestill 800T to give a very good result, so will aim to get another roll for the freezer.

• Like 1

Plus (to add to Stefan)  we know David works a lovely old Leica lens, develops, prints and scans all his own images...colour and B&W. Nothing sent to third party.

The pic has a flavour of "Metropolis".

Nice one as many attest... more please David.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chrism said:

Ah, but which unfaithful digital colours shall we dismiss? Those created by the CCD in the Flextight scanner, or those made by the CMOS in the D850? Both devices are photographing the same negative. The photo is four years old now, and I don't remember the actual conditions. I would say the second looks more like the kind of light and colours I see along the shore here.

...   that's right Chris in this case the ideal is the enlarger and the print

• Like 2

Mississippi River, 2021

M2-R | Lux' 35mm f/1.4 | Fomapan 400 | HC-110 (B)

• Like 19

Ektar 100 ISO.

Mamiya 645 AFd, 120mm macro, f/6.8, 1/350s, NCPS lab.

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, ianman said:

I just found some old Kodak HIE negatives...

Nikon FM2, 28mm f/2,8 - Kodak High-Speed Infrared, I can't remember which filter I used, 87c rings a bell.

Infrared 101

Great that you found it. Terrific!

• Thanks 1

Really interesting Wayne. What you write reminds me of the discussions about a decade ago give or take about much larger sensors than the, as I seem to recall, 24 megapixels that were common then, and whether that would be a good thing. And now we have what around 40-50mp? I seem to remember some manufacturers actually paused the megapixel race in favour of bigger pixels or something like that which were better for image quality. I also remember reading somewhere in this forum that a CCD sensor would give "better" or "more pleasing" files than a CMOS. I used to own an old Leica Digilux 2 which was a really fun camera to use. Those who knew also said that that camera produced very pleasing files.

I don't know much about this but follow these developments a bit because I am interested in technology. I have an old Canon 5D mk II which I use as a flash meter before committing scenes to film with other cameras or for whenever I need shots for Ebay or the like. It's a really good camera and I've never seen a reason to get another one because I'm sufficiently happy with the results for my needs. 

In a review for that model I read that the noise at higher ISOs reminded of film grain. It sounded a bit like marketing speak to me but there's possibly some truth to it. Everyone with a Coolscan knows that they struggle with dense colour negatives. Such scans are grainier and the scanner also adds some colour noise (which is easy to remove in post in Adobe Camera Raw) because it has to amplify the sensor somehow. Perhaps that's what they referred to in the review, I don't know. I do know, though, that my X1 on eats dense negs for breakfast, cuts through them like a lightsaber in butter. And it adds no noise at all. But it's an entirely different machine than consumer scanners of course.

I'm curious about resolution for another reason and that is printing. I'm interested in trying to see how much I can push my inkjet in terms of detail reproduction. Has anyone tried or tested this?

20 hours ago, Wayne said:

All these comments and questions concerning digitization of negatives brought something forward through the fog in my head. I recall, many years ago, before digital dominated everything, Some "experts" of the time put forward the opinion that film had nothing to worry about as the resolution of the digital sensor would never reach a level to compete with what was possible with film. I imagine that that prophecy has fallen on its face. It makes me  wonder if there is a level of digital resolution which we are better off not to exceed when digitizing a negative, e.g. might a Nikon D700 be better than newer models with higher resolution? To this day, when I see digital images I captured with the old D700, they present a much more pleasing experience that many of the digital images I encounter from more modern digital cameras.

Best,

Wayne

Really nice results, very dreamy.

3 hours ago, ianman said:

I just found some old Kodak HIE negatives...

Nikon FM2, 28mm f/2,8 - Kodak High-Speed Infrared, I can't remember which filter I used, 87c rings a bell.

Infrared 101

Also very nice, I like the contrast between the massive clouds and the buildings.

5 hours ago, dimm said:

Mississippi River, 2021

M2-R | Lux' 35mm f/1.4 | Fomapan 400 | HC-110 (B)

This is a superb photo, bravo.

15 hours ago, 105012 said:

For you, David.

Mesmirised

M3; 50 Summicron Collapsible; Cinestill 800T; Pakon.

(Some jpeg compression artefacts, not present in the original TIFF file).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Summertime #4,   Daucus carota or wild carrot in my garden

MP, NLX open, Portra 400

• Like 12