I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

2 hours ago, philipus said:

While we're in the space that holds the old generator I thought it could be interesting to show this. This is the kind of photo that, perhaps even more than the one of the old generator, speaks of a world that was very different from today's. I'm not thinking of the fact that there's a sort of phone kiosk on the wall. In a technical room. Inhabited pretty much only by a massive diesel beast.

I'm thinking of the fact that when the building was constructed in the 1950s such a thing – this little half-enclosure – had to be put up as well because it simply went with a telephone. I doubt very much that it had anything to do with the noise level that would have been heard in this room when the generator was running.

That – sounds, or rather their absence – is another aspect that I like about this photo. The noises which once inhabited this space, be it from the generator or from the technicians who placed calls from this kiosk. Then there are those tiles of course, straight out of the Matrix...

Flickr
203FE 40/4 Ektar X1

How you post photo straight from Flickr? This option worked for me before, but now I'm unable to do it

8 hours ago, philipus said:

I'm curious about resolution for another reason and that is printing. I'm interested in trying to see how much I can push my inkjet in terms of detail reproduction. Has anyone tried or tested this

Philip

Just yesterday I visited an exhibition in the Kunsthal Helmond (NL) photographies by 
HARRY GRUYAERT. I was mightily impressed, mainly of his photographic sensibility, but in part also of the technical quality of the prints. Some of his work from the 80ies - obviously film - was presented at 1m2 prints and still looked excellent. 
Unfortunately the exhibition only runs until Sept. 19th, but I highly recommend a visit! Should you visit, let me know. 

Rgds C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Kodak Tmax 100, PMK 1:2:100 10' 24° (underdeveloped by 2'? But digitises OK).

• Like 17

the pale negs:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the suggestion Christoph. I really like Gruyaert's photography and will see if I can squeeze in a visit. Btw, I'll be at Unseen in Amsterdam on Saturday afternoon :) 

5 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Philip

Just yesterday I visited an exhibition in the Kunsthal Helmond (NL) photographies by 
HARRY GRUYAERT. I was mightily impressed, mainly of his photographic sensibility, but in part also of the technical quality of the prints. Some of his work from the 80ies - obviously film - was presented at 1m2 prints and still looked excellent. 
Unfortunately the exhibition only runs until Sept. 19th, but I highly recommend a visit! Should you visit, let me know. 

Rgds C.

Click this menu to view all sizes

Select size, right click on the image, and select Copy image address

Then click Other Media and click Insert image from URL at the bottom right of the posting window here at LFF. Paste the address into the popup.

9 hours ago, dimm said:

How you post photo straight from Flickr? This option worked for me before, but now I'm unable to do it

I would never have guessed this came from such a pale neg. Lovely tones.

51 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Kodak Tmax 100, PMK 1:2:100 10' 24° (underdeveloped by 2'? But digitises OK).

45 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

the pale negs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Dangle

Hasselblad 1000F, 80/2.8 Tessar, Foma 100 at 400

• Like 14

2 hours ago, ianman said:

Thanks! Yes, I was happy about finding these (3 rolls) as most of my negatives were ruined when I had a water heater leak which dripped through the ceiling onto the shelves where I kept the negs.

Here are a couple more, taken on Dartmoor.

Nikon FM2 - 28mm f/2,8 - Kodak HIE

So great, and the grain is perfect, too!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

the pale negs:

I haven't yet tried PMK, but I've now used 510 Pyro and Pyrocat HD, and they both usually result in less dense negatives. But from what I understand, for scanning, less dense is better anyway. I've successfully scanned negatives that I could barely make out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I haven't yet tried PMK, but I've now used 510 Pyro and Pyrocat HD, and they both usually result in less dense negatives. But from what I understand, for scanning, less dense is better anyway. I've successfully scanned negatives that I could barely make out.

My PMK guru on Flickr, radspix, does full development but with slightly underexposed film. This surprised me. Although he also overexposes because of the staining, for example with Tri-X 400, he'll shoot it at 200 (i think everyone does this with the pyro devs). I'll have to discuss this paradox with him some day. 🙂 You might be right about PMK giving slightly thinner negs, but in the case of this Tmax I think the timing was off. My negs aren't normally so thin and I like to print occasionally.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

My PMK guru on Flickr, radspix, does full development but with slightly underexposed film. This surprised me. Although he also overexposes because of the staining, for example with Tri-X 400, he'll shoot it at 200 (i think everyone does this with the pyro devs). I'll have to discuss this paradox with him some day. 🙂 You might be right about PMK giving slightly thinner negs, but in the case of this Tmax I think the timing was off. My negs aren't normally so thin and I like to print occasionally.

Thanks so much for this and for the reference to radspix. He's a remarkable photographer.

• Like 1

Destination Anywhere

Glenelg, Scotland

FTb + 28/2.8 on Portra 160

• Like 19

• Like 13

At the Mingei International Museum.

Ektar 100 ISO.

Mamiya 645 AFd, 120mm macro, f/4.0, 1/10s, NCPS lab.

• Like 14

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Dangle

Hasselblad 1000F, 80/2.8 Tessar, Foma 100 at 400

Wow, you have a 1000F  !  I always shied away from the early Fs because of  the shutter which, as the Hasselblad saga goes , is so capricious and seems to be unrepairable because the titanium foil is no longer available... Nice photo by the way.  And I hope many years ahead for your 1000 F .... 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb dimm:

Pants are optional.

New Orleans, 2021

M2-R | Lux' 35mm f/1.4 | Agfa APX100 | HC-110 (H)

This is great, dimm. To be there, to see it and then grab it ( the photo 😇), sheer street photographers delight... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summertime #5

Wild carrot again, with guest. 

HB 205, Distagon 2,8/50 FE; Portra 400  

( the Distagon 2,8/50 FE  is about one Kilogramm, has a huge front lens, is sharp as a pick and, and,  nice  for this kind of photography, has a minimum focussing distance of 42cm . Sorry, just got carried away. But it´s near my heart since I carried it 5 weeks in a backpack over the hills of Patagonia.... 

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

There is an even easier way of posting a photo hosted on Flickr: use the 'Share' section of the pop-up pane and paste that text into the composition window here. The board software is smart enough to place the linked file directly in your post, though it does also give the option of showing the link rather than the linked image.

The 'Share' link at Flickr:

And the option to display the link in this board's posting window after pasting in a Flickr link:

Easy!

• Thanks 2