I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

MP, Thambar LTM with orange filter, Ilford PAN400, HC-110 (dil B)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Thank you very much Charles. I understand what you mean. Emptiness is a powerful thing and leaves a lot of room for thoughts.

On a slightly related tangent, several years before the ICTY closed the Staff Union did a photo project which resulted in a photobook. 20 staff members photographed what happened during their workday. Some of the areas I photographed feature in that book, but with people present, usually happy, smiling or concentrated. Many of the areas were off limits though.

By sheer coincidence the day photography took place was the same day – 14 May – that the building was inaugurated in 1955.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:45 AM, Bateleur said:

Perhaps this photo reflects the sadness I feel on viewing your photo's Philip. Your series is one that needs to be told and the way you have done so is exceptional. I wont dwell on my own emotions other than that the absence of people in your photographs is most telling for me and mirrors the cost of conflict in my mind. That said, the text on your web page restores the balance and gives an optimism and hope for the future and is as telling as the photographs themselves.

• Thanks 2

Am 5.9.2021 um 04:32 schrieb Ernest:

Her Name
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

No phth (alates ?), just ( good things, pure nature, goodness.. 😁  )  Intriguing composition, Rog. I like it. The open questions, the hooks..... 

Am 5.9.2021 um 22:57 schrieb AntonioF:

Sunflowers in Umbria - Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Kodak Ektar 100

I can't resist a field of sunflowers either.... great perspective and nice angle, Antonio. But what happened to the colors ?  An interesting effect anyway. 

Am 6.9.2021 um 21:29 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

At the sea again:

Minilux - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Mare blu, looks like a dream. How did you get the color shift, James ?   I like it, great atmosphere

vor 11 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

richmond 2021

leica, 35mm, agfa vista 400

Lol, the magenta cubes made my day  ( actually my evening)    Phil, I like the casual approach, the framing and the colors. 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Stefan2010:

Gibellina - Bar Oasi

III/35asph/Portra 160

A lot to see here. Service the same price as self. What I like best is the potted plant. 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Rennrocky:

Rollei B35 Fuji 400 Berlin Hyp Bank

Rennrocky, I like the bold framing and the nasty red arm of the wrecking tool.. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

views along my cycling routes #4

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

I can't resist a field of sunflowers either.... great perspective and nice angle, Antonio. But what happened to the colors ?  An interesting effect anyway. 

Thanks. The first scan/inversion of the negatives with NLP gave me a brownish warm color cast. I liked it and I preferred to share this version more than the one with the cast removed (which looks more natural as you can see below).

Edited by AntonioF
  • Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, philipus said:

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

Philip, I've been silently admiring your series of Court photos for a while now.

At the first opportunity I rushed off to your linked website to lap it all up in one fell swoop but realise now that I prefer to follow here, in slow-release mode. The photographs are a high class act and your commentary exquisite. Thank you for sharing it here. 

Although your pictures don't feature any people, I discern a face in this one! 🙂

A great job well done!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

New York City, Leica M2, Summicron DR, HP5@ 1699

• Like 16

Veliva 100 ISO color slide film (Fuji says goodbye to this film stock, :( ).

Leica R9 camera, Angenieux 35-70mm French zoom lens (With it's Plein Air character), R mount.

• Like 15

This is a tricky one for me. I take the liberty of posting both for comparison. I think they show perfectly how all that talk of how [insert film of choice] looks [insert description] is just words. Ektar in particular is said to be punchy, full of colour etc etc. But it can also be muted and almost timid in its beauty as the first one shows. It all depends on how the film is treated.

I couldn't pick one over the other here. Both have appealing aspects. The first one is diminutive and speaks softly and intelligently to me, and even seems to transfer the sun's heat of what evidently was a warm day. The second one is a beautiful postcard but looks a bit vain and seems to scream "I'm pretty, look at Meeeee!" in that influencer my-life-is-really-much-worse-than-the-photos-I-share sort of way. I typically lean towards intelligence.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:57 PM, AntonioF said:

Sunflowers in Umbria - Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Kodak Ektar 100

14 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Thanks. The first scan/inversion of the negatives with NLP gave me a brownish warm color cast. I liked it and I preferred to share this version more than the one with the cast removed (which looks more natural as you can see below).

Thank you so much Pritam, I really appreciate your thoughts on the project. There is a benefit to me to post pictures here, which is that it forces me to think of the project through an editor's lens. My aim is to get it published (somehow) and a selection will in that case need to be made.

Haha i was also drawn to the face in that photo. It almost looks like one has put C3PO under a massive steamroller. 

13 hours ago, Suede said:

Philip, I've been silently admiring your series of Court photos for a while now.

At the first opportunity I rushed off to your linked website to lap it all up in one fell swoop but realise now that I prefer to follow here, in slow-release mode. The photographs are a high class act and your commentary exquisite. Thank you for sharing it here. 

Although your pictures don't feature any people, I discern a face in this one! 🙂

A great job well done!

That is a very precise EI reading :) Really nice tones throughout the frame I think.

11 hours ago, mikemgb said:

New York City, Leica M2, Summicron DR, HP5@ 1699

Isn't it sad that Velvia disappears? I bought a lot of it years ago and still have quite a bit left but all the news of ever-decreasing availability of emulsions makes me more and more reluctant to use it. 

Really beautifully made photograph.

8 hours ago, SHenry said:

Veliva 100 ISO color slide film (Fuji says goodbye to this film stock, :( ).

Leica R9 camera, Angenieux 35-70mm French zoom lens (With it's Plein Air character), R mount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nighttime in NYC. Leica M2, Summicron DR, HP5 @ 1600

• Like 19

As above

• Like 17

23 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

I have just got to comment on this one again. I keep coming back to it and starring at it:...."What the hell is so fascinating about this photograph of such a common thing?" I think it has so much to do with the fact that it is a color image. It seems to embody a lot of what Roger so often posts, but with no abstraction at all. I can't explain it, but it strikes me as an extraordinary example of Art.

Wayne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

I have just got to comment on this one again. I keep coming back to it and starring at it:...."What the hell is so fascinating about this photograph of such a common thing?" I think it has so much to do with the fact that it is a color image. It seems to embody a lot of what Roger so often posts, but with no abstraction at all. I can't explain it, but it strikes me as an extraordinary example of Art.

Wayne

To me, it's both whimsical (eyes, nose, industrial humor) and simultaneously terrifying for its impersonal, cold nature.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Wayne

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bags27:

To me, it's both whimsical (eyes, nose, industrial humor) and simultaneously terrifying for its impersonal, cold nature.

I agree with both of you. Philipus confronts us with an extraordinary, artful and  perfectly executed photograph--hence Waynes observation that this is an outstanding piece of art. In sneaks the knowledge for whom these doors opened and closed -- and since Philipus provided a legend we can't unknow,, Bags27  correctly states the terrifying qualities of the picture. Its all in our heads. Actually its just an elevator..... Thank you Philipus again for this Janus headed, ambiguous picture. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

summertime #1

MP; SLX 50, Ektar 100

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 18