I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Just now, sblitz said:

Central Park Reservoir at dusk look out to the grand apartment buildings on Central Park West. Ilford HP5+ developed in Ilford DD-X Leica M-A 35mm summicron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very nice set, reminds me of a sequence of the film Manhattan by Woody Allen .

Fondation Vuitton by JM__, on Flickr

Ilford Delta 100 - Rolleiwide

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, crf59 said:

Leica IIIG, Kodak slide film (pre-Kodachrome), 50mm f/3.5 Elmar

Some sort of odd parade in England my father took with the IIIG I still have (near mint condition - still use it regularly). 1950s. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IV ED. Not a great pic composition-wise, but I love it for some reason.

Ah, yes.....now I can remember a time when kids were kids without mobiles!

Nice one!

On 11/6/2020 at 6:21 AM, bags27 said:

Same as above, a simple panorama of 3 shots on a tripod stitched in PS. The Fuji is soon being augmented by a much handier Mamiya 7 along with the 43 and 80mm. Not sure I really want a built-in light meter, but it's a very cool camera I've long admired. Anyone else here using one?

I used a Mamiya 7(ii) extensively for my professional work during the 90's .

The idiosyncratic camera body was not good from the point of view of construction quality, the film spool retaining springs had a habit of  working loose and falling off mid roll, usually jamming the camera and the daft film gate blind that has to be cranked into place when changing lenses can also frequently jam, but the lenses are superb, especially the 43 & 50.

The 43mm is a biogon design and was my most used lens of the complete set of lenses I had for the 7(ii).  IMO, it was better than the Zeiss 38mm biogon on the SWC and the camera's rangefinder and external viewfinder is much faster and more convenient to accurately compose and focus than the Hasselblad SWC series 'guesstimate' method.

It (the lenses!) is capable of stunning quality, especially on Velvia 50.  Two out of the three times I won UK Landscape Photographer of the Year at the joint British Professional Photographic Awards was with images I made on Velvia 50 with the Mamiya 7(ii) and 43mm lens.  

All that said, I always preferred my GSW690iii for it's 65mm Fujinon lens quality, it's simple reliability and seemingly indestructible construction.  My Mamiya 7(ii) kit is long gone, but I still have, and still frequently use, my GSW690iii.

Good luck with your M7(ii), great choice.  I'm sure you'll love it!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Felt Construction
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 16

20 hours ago, crf59 said:

Same camera/lens combo. Mother in the middle, surrounded by French friends. They lived in England, France and Spain for several years in the 50s. An altogether more refined period in our history if I may say so.

More refined, indeed.  Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Invariably, you send me to navigate that labyrinthine world of ones and zeroes to discover BLK 3.0.

"Black 3.0 is “the blackest, the mattest paint in the known universe,” Semple said in the Kickstarter video for the new paint, which reportedly absorbs up to 99 percent of all light, compared to 99.96 percent for the original Vantablack. “It’s like a black hole or a void in a bottle.”

Anish Kapoor is one of my ballistic favorites; his sculpture can only be appreciated in real time. 

One of my favorite books is Black Paintings: Robert Rauschenberg, Ad Reinhardt, Mark Rothko, Frank Stella.  There's an interesting MoMA video on Ad Reinhardt's approach to black:

I did not know this was going to launch.

I am tickled you brought up Brechtian verfremdungseffekt, a theatrical device that breaks the fourth wall on stage by having the actors address the audience directly, thereby emphasizing the artificiality of the stage production. In a way, this is something I try with color fields and abstraction. 

Thanks so much for your jumpstarting comments.

Rog, very interesting-thank you for the direction. The book you mention seems to be more an  investment -- I settled for Ad Reinhardt-letzte Bilder ( last pictures ) A R and Josef Albers --eine Begegnung ( a meeting ) by Heinz Liesbrock to get the  idea of it. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
I hate Autocorrection...

7 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, very interesting-thank you for the direction. The book you mention seems to be more an  investment -- I settled for Ad Reinhardt-letzte Bilder ( last pictures ) A R and Josef Albers --eine Begegnung ( a meeting ) by Heinz Liesbrock to get the  idea of it. 

Oh, my. Ad Reinhardt's Last Paintings! I wish. Very rare, and talk about investment, this is like pledging "first born." Why doesn't Steidl give us something currently published, instead of herding us into the second-hand market?

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Oh, my. Ad Reinhardt's Last Paintings! I wish. Very rare, and talk about investment, this is like pledging "first born." Why doesn't Steidl give us something currently published, instead of herding us into the second-hand market?

The book on the last paintings is new old stock and seems to be a catalogue of an exhibition. Should be in my mail soon--if it is worthwhile, I´ll comment on it. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Bo-Sixten:

Dusty old negs revisited. Hasselblad, Tri X.

Bo, that's lovely.I love the transition from the dark of the barn leading the eye to the cat and wondering, what is she is looking at...

Btw:  Did pussy squint ?  Forgive my post-professional interest.. an old dog doesn't  forget the tricks of the trade... 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb philipus:

Overlooking Sarajevo (2000).

Flickr
EOS 1N EF 35-70 Velvia 50 X1

Amazing contre jour, Philip. Great composition and on spot exposition. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Felt Construction
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Do I read felt ? As in Beuys ?  I'm preparing myself for the grease... 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Quiet in Cambridge

M2 VM40/1.4 Delta 100 in DDX

• Like 15

48 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Bo, that's lovely.I love the transition from the dark of the barn leading the eye to the cat and wondering, what is she is looking at...

Btw:  Did pussy squint ?  Forgive my post-professional interest.. an old dog doesn't  forget the tricks of the trade... 

Thank you so much Kl@usW for you kind words. No squint. No tricks. :))

• Like 1