I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/9/2020 at 4:30 AM, gbealnz said:

It is a nice place, I agree. If only we could find the founder.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:43 AM, stray cat said:

Yes, that means YOU good Doc Henry! Please come back!

I could not agree more. If I survive the next few months - I am going into hospital for a long-delayed bone marrow transplant next week, Covid-19 willing - I shall be working hard on using up my film freezer's contents. I haven't been up to taking photos or developing films for about 18 months, and I'm getting pretty desperate to press that shutter button! If I can come back, so can Henry!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, chrism said:

I could not agree more. If I survive the next few months - I am going into hospital for a long-delayed bone marrow transplant next week, Covid-19 willing - I shall be working hard on using up my film freezer's contents. I haven't been up to taking photos or developing films for about 18 months, and I'm getting pretty desperate to press that shutter button! If I can come back, so can Henry!

All the best to you--a photo a day keeps the doctor away. The symphony plays from the freezer, "So much film; so little time." 

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Primary Theorem
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Bo-Sixten said:

Dusty old negs revisited. Hasselblad, Tri X.

In admiring everything else about this beautiful photograph, one of the mysteries that has plagued my mind, i.e. what is it that is so special about  Hasselblad and Rolleiflex photos?, hit me. Maybe it is not true for every photo with those cameras, but the perspective is so much a part of the magic in this shot. I am going to call it:..Cat. As seen by a dog. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, chrism said:

My best wishes for a successful procedure and return to good health. I'm sure you'll come out blazing to shoot them all.

Regards,

Edited by Suede
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb chrism:

Sad to hear Chris! All the best to you, I will cross my fingers!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Ouroboros:

I treated myself to a birthday present at the beginning of October. I was lucky enough to be able to buy what was probably the only completely unused black Hasselblad 503CW in existence from a good friend who bought it new in 2000, along with a new chrome 503cw to use in his retirement from being a full time wedding and portrait photographer.  He photographed his last five weddings with the chrome 503cw, but he never used the black one, he had put the unopened box in his camera safe and left it there untouched.

I have known about the unused camera for several years.  In October I contacted my friend and asked him if he would consider selling it, he was and we did a deal.  The camera arrived on October 2nd, the box still unopened and the camera still sealed inside,  complete with all paperwork.

Pure indulgence on my part, I know! I already have a lovely chrome 503cw but I thought it might be feeling a bit lonely.  You know how it is.....

Well, I've used it now! 😃

From the first roll of film with my new Hasselblad: The River Severn ebbing away, Gloucestershire.

Hasselblad 503cw
Zeiss 250mm sonnar cf
Ilford Delta 400

A beautiful photo Steve and it seems that your new beauty works very well!!

Just now, benqui said:

A beautiful photo Steve and it seems that your new beauty works very well!!

Thanks, Marc.   It works fine, feels exactly the same as my chrome 503cw which I bought new in 2005 and have  made 1000's of exposures with.  Same shutter release pressure, same feel to to the winder and wlf operation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrism said:

Sending you plenty of positive energy ! Best regards, JM .

3 hours ago, chrism said:

Chris, very best wishes for a successful outcome to your bone marrow transplant. Sending a ray of sunshine to you from downunder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

The book on the last paintings is new old stock and seems to be a catalogue of an exhibition. Should be in my mail soon--if it is worthwhile, I´ll comment on it. 

Do I read felt ? As in Beuys ?  I'm preparing myself for the grease... 

I see there is the hardbound edition, astronomically priced, and a paperback edition that puts our feet back on Earth. I look forward to your comments.

How do you get into my brain? Felt! Yes, I think of that word and Beuys's Felt Suit is right there! Thinking of a category title for this color field, I keyed off of the large color field that looks so much like felt. ADOX is guilty for its "toxic grain" that explodes into a pointillist red/green hail. Then, I thought of the double entendre of "felt" as the past tense of the verb "to feel." How do you feel about this or that, and so often it's an emotional, subjective take on "cognition." How one feels about a work of art, a photograph, an ice cream cone. Beuys is renown for his olfactory art, using the sense of smell. Has anyone encountered photography with an olfactory element? A quick glance through Alain Borer's The Essential Joseph Beuys for issues of felt: Halved Felt Crossed with Dust Picture of Martha, 1960; Snowfall; Infiltration Homogeneous for Grand Piano, 1966; Felt Suit, 1970; and Block Beuys. Of course, there's the signature hat that Beuys always wears. See also Beuy's Book by Klaus Staeck and Gerhard Steidl to get a sense of Beuys's playfulness. Please, connect the dots for me on "grease." 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I treated myself to a birthday present at the beginning of October. I was lucky enough to be able to buy what was probably the only completely unused black Hasselblad 503CW in existence from a good friend who bought it new in 2000, along with a new chrome 503cw to use in his retirement from being a full time wedding and portrait photographer.  He photographed his last five weddings with the chrome 503cw, but he never used the black one, he had put the unopened box in his camera safe and left it there untouched.

I have known about the unused camera for several years.  In October I contacted my friend and asked him if he would consider selling it, he was and we did a deal.  The camera arrived on October 2nd, the box still unopened and the camera still sealed inside,  complete with all paperwork.

Pure indulgence on my part, I know! I already have a lovely chrome 503cw but I thought it might be feeling a bit lonely.  You know how it is.....

From the first roll of film with my new Hasselblad: The River Severn ebbing away, Gloucestershire.

Hasselblad 503cw
Zeiss 250mm sonnar cf
Ilford Delta 400

Such an astounding, artfully composed sweep of minimalism. The atmospheric perspective, the distant play of sunlight that completes the arc of beach, and the shimmer of light in the foreground, all perfectly placed in the frame. You're making the difficult look so nonchalant. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Such an astounding, artfully composed sweep of minimalism. The atmospheric perspective, the distant play of sunlight that completes the arc of beach, and the shimmer of light in the foreground, all perfectly placed in the frame. You're making the difficult look so nonchalant. 

Thanks, Rog, praise indeed.  Appreciated!

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Hasselblad 503cw
Zeiss 250mm sonnar cf
Ilford Delta 400

Thank heavens! Yet another noble camera has escaped, or, more appropriately, has been sprung.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Haha 2