I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Rockingham Castle

M2 VM35/2 PanF DDX

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Suede:

A very pleasing photograph, Klaus. Despite the snow I don't know why it reminds me of summer... a summery fabric pattern. At 1600 it might just be around the limit of the tree line.

Thank you, Pritam. The pattern caught my eye and the white snow was a welcome backdrop. And yes; the tree line is only about 100 meters higher, up there only firs, pines, some larches and the rowan-trees; the latter a blessing for the birds and of course for the odd photographer... 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Phil, excuse my late response, was out of town.. Thank you for taking the trouble to show the difference between the two lenses. It shows nicely that there is not really a better lens ( renderingwise), but only different lenses which may cater for different tastes and different situations. I see your point why you like the canon ltm... 

Rog, I hope Anish Kapoor didn't send you a hefty  invoice for using his Black 3.0.... Your cul de sac definitly has a pull

If only the corner stone had been behind the chain link fence...my car´s rear bumper would look differently..no, seriously: a very convincing series and its interesting that it develops from the pure abstraction to the alienated ( or may I say "verfremdend" ? ) reality.  For the colors i like if only best, for the mood the Chain link and the intellectual effort behind it of course the cornerstone

Invariably, you send me to navigate that labyrinthine world of ones and zeroes to discover BLK 3.0.

"Black 3.0 is “the blackest, the mattest paint in the known universe,” Semple said in the Kickstarter video for the new paint, which reportedly absorbs up to 99 percent of all light, compared to 99.96 percent for the original Vantablack. “It’s like a black hole or a void in a bottle.”

Anish Kapoor is one of my ballistic favorites; his sculpture can only be appreciated in real time. 

One of my favorite books is Black Paintings: Robert Rauschenberg, Ad Reinhardt, Mark Rothko, Frank Stella.  There's an interesting MoMA video on Ad Reinhardt's approach to black:

I did not know this was going to launch.

I am tickled you brought up Brechtian verfremdungseffekt, a theatrical device that breaks the fourth wall on stage by having the actors address the audience directly, thereby emphasizing the artificiality of the stage production. In a way, this is something I try with color fields and abstraction. 

Thanks so much for your jumpstarting comments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rowan-tree @ 1600 meters above sea level.

MP, Summaron 2,8/35; Ektar 100

Really captivating, and when I squint, Jackson Pollock visits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bramble
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 18

2 hours ago, crf59 said:

Leica IIIG, Kodak slide film (pre-Kodachrome), 50mm f/3.5 Elmar

Some sort of odd parade in England my father took with the IIIG I still have (near mint condition - still use it regularly). 1950s. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IV ED. Not a great pic composition-wise, but I love it for some reason.

What a riotous image; just what we need in these times to lighten up.

2 hours ago, crf59 said:

Same camera/lens combo. Mother in the middle, surrounded by French friends. They lived in England, France and Spain for several years in the 50s. An altogether more refined period in our history if I may say so.

So fashionable! And those hairstyles! Very cinematic! That red bag with the complementary green sweater, I'll take it. And . . . CUT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chevron
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15

vor 7 Stunden schrieb crf59:

Same camera/lens combo. Mother in the middle, surrounded by French friends. They lived in England, France and Spain for several years in the 50s. An altogether more refined period in our history if I may say so.

Perfect! What a great shot to remember old times

21 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rowan-tree @ 1600 meters above sea level.

MP, Summaron 2,8/35; Ektar 100

The warmth of the tree captures your spirit, and once edified are offered to the snow and the embrace of the mountains.

14 hours ago, John Robinson said:

You see the sign, run for the train then discover they only go five miles down the track and then turn around as the link to the rest of the national network was ripped out by Dr Beeching in the 1960s (with apologies for a reference that may be obscure to those not familiar with the UK rail system).  Maybe that's why so many people abandoned their luggage at the station...

Leica M2, Summicron-M 2/50 (collapsible). Fuji 400, Nikon CS5000ED, Capture One.

I enjoyed the commentary on the English Heritage Rail scene and thoroughly enjoyed the photographs. 

13 hours ago, Bo-Sixten said:

Dusty old negs revisited. The Empire view. NY 1980. Leica M4, Tri X.

Bo - I'm thoroughly enjoying these photos, each playing out a moment in perfect technical and artistic harmony.

7 hours ago, crf59 said:

Simply a photo to steel your heart. And indeed a refined time in history.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, 250swb said:

River Wye in Derbyshire. Kodak Portra 160 in a Vollenda 620 camera that has a Leitz 10.5cm lens. The ends of the 120 spool were nibbled down with side cutters so it would fit into the camera. The lens can be quite sharp, but there is lots of 'glow' even in dull weather.

Wonderful and dreamy with beautiful colours. :))

10 hours ago, crf59 said:

Leica IIIG, Kodak slide film (pre-Kodachrome), 50mm f/3.5 Elmar

Some sort of odd parade in England my father took with the IIIG I still have (near mint condition - still use it regularly). 1950s. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IV ED. Not a great pic composition-wise, but I love it for some reason.

What could go wrong!!

H&S today may have gone over the top, but maybe for the good.

The camera is a precious tool, hail the camera. 

• Haha 1