I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Tabs Diptych V1
M-A APO 50 & Macro-Elmar-M
ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Tabs Diptych V2

• Like 14

MP & Summilux-M 75mm, Kodak Tmax 400

Ferro Velho

• Like 14

Tabs

An early "sketch" in developing Tabs.  I broke the Josef Albers rules for transparency, mostly. Even so, I think it comes down to translucency. I don't know yet, but it seems that Albers was only using his camera for straight images, inventive early diptychs, but not color studies like his Homage to the Square series. I used walls and paper bags for this study.

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What lovely colours and strong composition, Adam. I have a feeling that a computer screen doesn't quite do justice to the vast vista you photographed.

7 hours ago, A miller said:

I am finally in NYC as of yesterday and have developed all of my film.  Now I will be scanning constantly until I go back for the summer :)

Here's one from very close to the Dead Sea at the foot of a desolate road that leads to Jericho, known as the oldest city in the world.  

Velvia 50 (6x17)

Technorama 617siii

Schneider APO Symmar 180mm

I'm learning so much from your studies Rog, thank you. One thing that struck me when I read for instance this piece about Albers's use of (imagined? apparent?) transparency and that rule was that it seems to be based on the premise that each field is one and the same colour. Perhaps it is a necessary premise, but to my uninitiated mind there is nothing preventing an artist from breaking or adjusting this premise. For instance, when I look at Tabs Diptych V2 it seems the grey field at right has more properties than just to desaturate, since it also 'lets through' the colour green while at the same time adjusting its saturation. And looking at V1 what's to say that the larger field at the right (the reddish brown) is evenly coloured? In fact, what is to say that it is even a two-dimensional field at all? It may be a three-dimensional field which is bent, curving up towards the viewer, at the left-hand side which, in turn, causes a darkening and the vertical band. Adding that third dimension to such studies may open up an infinite range of interpretations. 

4 hours ago, Ernest said:

Tabs

An early "sketch" in developing Tabs.  I broke the Josef Albers rules for transparency, mostly. Even so, I think it comes down to translucency. I don't know yet, but it seems that Albers was only using his camera for straight images, inventive early diptychs, but not color studies like his Homage to the Square series. I used walls and paper bags for this study.

• Like 2

A little slice of everyday symmetry

Flickr
50/1.8 AIS XP2 (EI800) HC110(E) X1
  • Like 18

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

The sculpural power of the construction is renderd very impressively. Only the tree reminds me that this actually a building with a practical purpose and not a piece in an exhibition. 

Thanks a lot Klaus,

it is indeed a building. It's the Viadukt Herdecke. I visited Herdecke the first time last sunday and this viaduct is very impressive.

Regards Joerg

vor 16 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

NY Times Square melange

M5, 35 and 135, Portra800

Was there a problem with the transport or did you trick the M5 ?   Anyway-would shure look good printed in a large format. 

• Thanks 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Tabs Diptych V1

Great colors 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Tabs Diptych V2

A lot of  color vibrance going on again..

Am 30.4.2019 um 20:22 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

On we go with some NYC impressions. The 9/11 memorial on Staten Island:

Ricoh GR 1 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Very convincing James. Did you use  a polarizing filter to get the dark blue?

• Thanks 1

Chapelle du Rosaire  [Tri-X]

• Like 15

Same as above, from the other side. [Tri-X]

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ernest said:

Tabs Diptych V2

Very interesting superimposition if frames.  I think we need a “making of” video 🙂

2 hours ago, philipus said:

What lovely colours and strong composition, Adam. I have a feeling that a computer screen doesn't quite do justice to the vast vista you photographed.

I'm learning so much from your studies Rog, thank you. One thing that struck me when I read for instance this piece about Albers's use of (imagined? apparent?) transparency and that rule was that it seems to be based on the premise that each field is one and the same colour. Perhaps it is a necessary premise, but to my uninitiated mind there is nothing preventing an artist from breaking or adjusting this premise. For instance, when I look at Tabs Diptych V2 it seems the grey field at right has more properties than just to desaturate, since it also 'lets through' the colour green while at the same time adjusting its saturation. And looking at V1 what's to say that the larger field at the right (the reddish brown) is evenly coloured? In fact, what is to say that it is even a two-dimensional field at all? It may be a three-dimensional field which is bent, curving up towards the viewer, at the left-hand side which, in turn, causes a darkening and the vertical band. Adding that third dimension to such studies may open up an infinite range of interpretations. 

Many thanks, Philip.  Yes it i s a shame that the image, which scanned to nearly 1GB, comes out so sh$tty

2 hours ago, philipus said:

A little slice of everyday symmetry

Flickr
50/1.8 AIS XP2 (EI800) HC110(E) X1

Very nice.  I see you still have some XP2 stashed away.  

Don’t tell @MarkP 😳

• Haha 2

vor 11 Stunden schrieb A miller:

I am finally in NYC as of yesterday and have developed all of my film.  Now I will be scanning constantly until I go back for the summer :)

Here's one from very close to the Dead Sea at the foot of a desolate road that leads to Jericho, known as the oldest city in the world.  

Velvia 50 (6x17)

Technorama 617siii

Schneider APO Symmar 180mm

Really very beautiful Adam! It would be worth to print it for the wall!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, benqui said:

Really very beautiful Adam! It would be worth to print it for the wall!

Thanks, Marc.  The colors are quite funky, indeed.  I think I am going to bring a lot of Portra 160 with me for the day time panos that I will take down there this summer.  Something to be said for the pastel earthy look...

• Like 2

I'm on a good way to overcome this bad habbit B) I use the digital world merely to stress you here with the silly snapshots from my boring vacations. Digital cameras are lying around somewhere in my house and will probably suffer boredom. Sometimes I can hear them cough under the growing heap of dust, though...

• Haha 6