I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Room ceiling structure,  Centre Pompidou,  Metz

Leicaflex SL, Summicron 50, Ektar 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

6 hours ago, verwackelt said:

I always thought St. Kilda is uninhabited since decades and has no roads to use a cycle…
interesting place for sunbathing though

Thank you Verwackelt. I think you might have in mind the unpopulated island of St Kilda in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 where I’d love to photograph. The St Kilda that provided the backdrop for my picture is a suburb of Melbourne, Australia and is far from unpopulated: https://www.exploreportphillip.com.au/St-Kilda

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, philipus said:

Yes, it is a photo of a dry piece of lawn, generally quite un-photo-worthy. But there's a bit of a story. I was visiting my mother on Gotland and managed to lie sick the entire week and needed to find things to do when I wasn't in bed. So I went into the snuff dry garden. Sweden was last summer hit by a large number of forest fires which was very unusual and even international help had to be given to fight them. I took this as a reminder that it seems things are changing. This year, the fires have started in Scandinavia already now and water rationing is in place at some locations.

Flickr
80/2.8 Carl Zeiss Mutar 2x (though might have been the 2XE) Ektar X1

A poignant piece, Philip, and an observation very worthwhile making and considering. It must be distressing to see the changes made in your Mum's backyard, and I'd imagine these are all too obvious to you. Your environmental portrait of the earth puts me in mind of some lines from The Doors:

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the sight of the dawn
Tied her with fences and dragged her down

I hope you are over your ailment now and feeling much better again.It must have seemed quite weird to both of you having your Mum looking after you again!

15 hours ago, gbealnz said:

The archive images of late had me delving into a very early part of my photograph hobby,  1972 as far as I can tell from the cardboard slide mount.

I was fixated on parachuting, and desperately wanted to abandon the perfectly good aeroplane, BUT I was slightly less than 18 years so needed my father's approval, which wasn't forthcoming. By the time I was of age, I had seen a couple of less than fortunate parachutists crash (one fatally) and was clever enough to know the old man had been correct all along.

The closest I came was sitting in the front of the old Cessna 172, parachute on (just in case) and trying to shoot the mad sods as they exited the door. Not as easy as it looked, back then anyway. Nowadays with the digital camera and zoom, well, likely simpler.

I just wish I still had my T shirt that said "Remember when sex was safe and parachuting was dangerous".

Camera and lens is unknown, possibly my beloved Canon Pellix with FD50mm. Nothing startling image wise, technically poor in fact, but a slice of my youth.

Ektachrome, the original Ektachrome too.

Gary

Stunning, Gary. No doubt there are some great memories attached, and I'll take one of those t-shirts, too! Easier with digital, now, sure - but maybe a bit TOO easy? I think it's often when we have to work at it and figure out logistics that the rewards seem sweeter. The picture of the guy on the roof is hilarious, though probably not for him!

3 hours ago, mikozia said:

My better half, taken by himself (he was quite a fast runner then, being an officer😀). Since he was also the unofficial photographer of his unit, LAPD's Asian Task Force. The photo was shot using Leica R5 and Summicron-R 50, with Kodakcolor 100.

Any fuzziness was caused by me using the T and Summicron-M DR.

A wonderful memory, no doubt, Mikozia, and a couple of fine young men captured in their prime. Full marks for their shiny shoes! It is really nice to see you contributing here and I hope you'll revisit us often. And maybe you can run a roll or two of film through that R5 if it's still around?

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mdp said:

Kettering at night, not too exciting! M4-P Summicron 35/2 Delta 400 

Back in the 80s there was a butcher in Kettering that sold the best home-made pies I have ever had, I wonder if it is still there? Love this photograph!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Phil, I didn't know those lyrics. Very on point. Haha, well one is always a child in the eyes of one's parents :)

16 hours ago, stray cat said:

A poignant piece, Philip, and an observation very worthwhile making and considering. It must be distressing to see the changes made in your Mum's backyard, and I'd imagine these are all too obvious to you. Your environmental portrait of the earth puts me in mind of some lines from The Doors:

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the sight of the dawn
Tied her with fences and dragged her down

I hope you are over your ailment now and feeling much better again.It must have seemed quite weird to both of you having your Mum looking after you again!

• Like 1

Two dashing police officers all present and correct :) The shoe shine warms my military heart. I also hope to see more photos, which I'm sure we will given that this thread is the internet equivalent of the Hotel California-like event horizon of an analogue black hole. 

20 hours ago, mikozia said:

My better half, taken by himself (he was quite a fast runner then, being an officer😀). Since he was also the unofficial photographer of his unit, LAPD's Asian Task Force. The photo was shot using Leica R5 and Summicron-R 50, with Kodakcolor 100.

Any fuzziness was caused by me using the T and Summicron-M DR.

• Haha 2

Woman at the (small) cinema

HP5+

• Like 15

vor 20 Stunden schrieb mikozia:

Great photo! I am sure, they will love this photo!

Handle
M-A APO 50 E100
Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm RGB (1976)

• Like 12

7 hours ago, philipus said:

Two dashing police officers all present and correct :) The shoe shine warms my military heart. I also hope to see more photos, which I'm sure we will given that this thread is the internet equivalent of the Hotel California-like event horizon of an analogue black hole. 

The "I Like Film" thread - "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"! Yes!

6 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Woman at the (small) cinema

HP5+

This is wonderful, Steve. We are looking with her at the cinema screen and there's a strong association that we are part of the drama.

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Handle
M-A APO 50 E100
Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm RGB (1976)

Rust and RED! Danger - get those tetanus shots! OR is it passion? Either way it looks as if we are going somewhere. Or not.

• Haha 3

On 4/26/2019 at 11:30 AM, gbealnz said:

The archive images of late had me delving into a very early part of my photograph hobby,  1972 as far as I can tell from the cardboard slide mount.

I was fixated on parachuting, and desperately wanted to abandon the perfectly good aeroplane, BUT I was slightly less than 18 years so needed my father's approval, which wasn't forthcoming. By the time I was of age, I had seen a couple of less than fortunate parachutists crash (one fatally) and was clever enough to know the old man had been correct all along.

The closest I came was sitting in the front of the old Cessna 172, parachute on (just in case) and trying to shoot the mad sods as they exited the door. Not as easy as it looked, back then anyway. Nowadays with the digital camera and zoom, well, likely simpler.

I just wish I still had my T shirt that said "Remember when sex was safe and parachuting was dangerous".

Camera and lens is unknown, possibly my beloved Canon Pellix with FD50mm. Nothing startling image wise, technically poor in fact, but a slice of my youth.

Ektachrome, the original Ektachrome too.

Gary

Awesome, Gary!

• Like 1

My Fedora has this disabling effect on other peoples’ fedoras 😂

Adox Color Implosion

M3, 50 Lux

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, stray cat said:

The "I Like Film" thread - "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"! Yes!

This is wonderful, Steve. We are looking with her at the cinema screen and there's a strong association that we are part of the drama.

Rust and RED! Danger - get those tetanus shots! OR is it passion? Either way it looks as if we are going somewhere. Or not.

Thanks Phil (this particular negative has been on the cutting room floor for a couple of months,, but then I took another look...).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, benqui said:

Maybe a brandnew Ney Yorker version of Batman and Robin?

Ha ha my Side kick would have a more busty figure with more skin showing, for sure 😂

16 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Fedora droop - is that a thing?

LOL, I’ll tell you in about 25 years 😂

• Haha 2

Flickr
24/2.8 AI Portra 160 X1
  • Like 11