I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, NW67 said:

Here is the 2nd sheet developed the same 14.25 minutes 

neil

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now that is one perfectly color- balanced rose, Neil.  Bravo

Tiefgarageneinfahrt #10 by Herr Sharif, auf Flickr

Fuji GF670 W, Kodak Portra 400, Scan with Epson Perfection 750 and Silverfast.
The photo is not heavily edited as it seems. It was a typical twilight situation in the evening.

Sharif

• Like 18

As promised! The two sweetest Easter Bunnies of this years Easter Parade at 5th Avenue. Btw, I'm happy to have pushed the button that fast, as in the next moment the left bunny fired a rude gesture back at me...

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Note Triptych
M-A APO 50    ADOX Color Implosion & Portra 400

This study is about the push and pull of color field as abstract and textured surfaces--steel, fabric, and stucco--as realistic. Oxymoron: realistic abstraction? Subjects: car wash wall, termite tenting, and storefront stucco.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Everybody does this shot and so did I. My take on the Manhattan Bridge from DUMBO / Brooklyn. Developed this roll of Tri-X yesterday in Rodinal 1+50 and am quite pleased by the results. What do you think?

Leica Minilux

Very nice

Hanapepe Hot Rod
M-A APO 50  Portra 400

• Like 15

From the special exhibition in The Met - Tale of Genji with special thanks to @stuny!

Minilux - Tri-X

• Like 15

Haha yes, it swung by Amsterdam last summer and I was lucky to sneak onboard :D

On 4/28/2019 at 12:17 PM, stray cat said:

Interstellar docking on the Mothership?

Love the vintage atmosphere on this one, Steve. Like an afternoon at a train platform during the Cold War.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, Steve Ricoh said:

Lomography 400CN

You're a brave man Wayne. He looks capable of inflicting severe pain.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, Wayne said:

Every year, I photograph this Canadian pair; every year, he lets me know when I am close enough.

Contax G1, 2.8/90 Sonnar, Kodak 400 Max

Lovely colours James. I also like how you let the lamp post photo bomb the scene in this nonchalant way. 

On 4/28/2019 at 5:09 PM, Sparkassenkunde said:

Spring colors from Central Park - NYC:

Ricoh GR1 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Excellent Andreas, there's something about the light and the scan that makes the image look very abstract, which I enjoy a lot. 

22 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Dining Set No.2

M6, Summicron 2/50

Both are delightful Neil, in particular the second. Have you considered using an infinity background to avoid the horizontal line? This would elevate the photos even further.

19 hours ago, NW67 said:

Okay. I have been swithering over what temperature to develop my color sheet film and what tank to use. I ordered a Souis Cooker but it hasn't arrived yet and me being not the most patient guy on the plant I wanted to develop the film NOW. So without a sure way to maintain 38 degrees as recommended by Tetenal I decided to follow my own process off a color film developing chart that I happen to have.

So here is what I decided to do, I mixed the Tetenal colortec C41 to give me 500 ml of the dev, Blix and stabiliser all with tap water (This kit has been in my fridge for over 2 years). I left the aircon off in my darkroom and put the 3 bottles with the C41 in my darkroom and shut the door. I went for a swim for half an hour and came back and checked the temperature of the chemicals they were all 27.5 degrees (81.5 F) I then looked on the chart that I have and it said to develop for 14.25 minutes.
I loaded the two sheets of Etkar 4x5  into my Beseller 8x10 drum and started the developing process with the drum on the Beseller rotary base switching it from forward to reverse every 60 seconds;
1/. pre wash 60 seconds
2/. Develop 14 minutes and 25 seconds
3/. Blix 8 minutes
4/. Wash 6 minutes
5/. Stabalizer 1 minute
Hang to dry over night
And here is what came out……enjoy

Neil

10 hours ago, NW67 said:

Here is the 2nd sheet developed the same 14.25 minutes 

neil

Very nice Sharif, and I am the first to say that I do not care if a photo has been post-processed. It's the photographer's vision and execution of that vision that count.

8 hours ago, Sharif said:

Tiefgarageneinfahrt #10 by Herr Sharif, auf Flickr

Fuji GF670 W, Kodak Portra 400, Scan with Epson Perfection 750 and Silverfast.
The photo is not heavily edited as it seems. It was a typical twilight situation in the evening.

Sharif

Terrific James. I have never been at this location but like a lot that you've found an angle I haven't seen before. Very dramatic composition.

3 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Thank you, Neill - much appreciated! Your detailed description of your so successfully handled color film development was very encouraging. With my black&white processing I'm satisfied by now, but the instructions I read about color processing, esp. about the importance of holding the exact temperatures made me uneasy. After reading your lines I came to the conclusion that it is time to try this out myself this summer.

Here another picture from the roll developed yesterday - my take on the Oculus in Manhattan:

Minilux - Tri-X

This is really cool Rog, my brain did a triple take before realising what the photons mean. It looks like planet Earth in a black hole being licked by the flames from Hell.

1 minute ago, Ernest said:

Hanapepe Hot Rod
M-A APO 50  Portra 400

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Thank you, Neill - much appreciated! Your detailed description of your so successfully handled color film development was very encouraging. With my black&white processing I'm satisfied by now, but the instructions I read about color processing, esp. about the importance of holding the exact temperatures made me uneasy. After reading your lines I came to the conclusion that it is time to try this out myself this summer.

Here another picture from the roll developed yesterday - my take on the Oculus in Manhattan:

Minilux - Tri-X

Fantastic range of tones James..........well spotted

Neil

19 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Minilux - Tri-X

To be honest James I was also very surprised at the outcome of the 14.25 minutes of that film in the C41 developer. I did some color 4x5 about 2 years ago and did it at the recommended 38 degrees with kettles on standby and my wife pulling her hair out helping me with the timing (she couldn't get it that it had to be exactly 3.15 minutes and 3.16 minutes was going to destroy the film and probably end up with us in a divorce ..............lol

Im still not convinced that what happened happened so I will shoot a couple more sheets of 4x5 this afternoon and repete the developing process with the chemicals at ambient temperature and hopefully I can send that Souis Vibrator back (its in transit from Lazada) and forget about ever developing at 38 degrees again..................my wife would like that also :):):)

Neil

50 minutes ago, philipus said:

Haha yes, it swung by Amsterdam last summer and I was lucky to sneak onboard :D

Love the vintage atmosphere on this one, Steve. Like an afternoon at a train platform during the Cold War.

You're a brave man Wayne. He looks capable of inflicting severe pain.

Lovely colours James. I also like how you let the lamp post photo bomb the scene in this nonchalant way. 

Excellent Andreas, there's something about the light and the scan that makes the image look very abstract, which I enjoy a lot. 

Both are delightful Neil, in particular the second. Have you considered using an infinity background to avoid the horizontal line? This would elevate the photos even further.

Very nice Sharif, and I am the first to say that I do not care if a photo has been post-processed. It's the photographer's vision and execution of that vision that count.

Terrific James. I have never been at this location but like a lot that you've found an angle I haven't seen before. Very dramatic composition.

This is really cool Rog, my brain did a triple take before realising what the photons mean. It looks like planet Earth in a black hole being licked by the flames from Hell.

Yes, Philip, I was thinking much the same thing—this looks like a hell of a planetary shot at first glance, then you realize it’s a hubcap and tire with funky flames painted on the fender of a want to be hot rod pickup truck.  A whole lot of hokey but entertaining. BTW  I am still in the decompression chamber waiting for completion of the “interstellar docking on the mothership,” as a Phil narrated fancifully your mysterious photograph.

• Haha 2

Improv
M-A APO 50  E100 & Portra 400
Film ends in analog are fair play if you want to improvise.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1