First M240 RAW files released.

JCharlton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark,

I'm totally sure it is. Was trying to be funny but probably still too early in the morning for me for that (coffee should always come first). I do think people's handwringing over the high iso of the M9 was always unfounded - exposed correctly I've always been more than happy with iso 1600. It does have some noise, but I always found that in real viewing/printing situations it was not unpleasant or distracting. It'll be nice to have a couple more stops to work with with the 240 as long as it doesn't get too artificial looking.

Best,

CP

• Like 2

To be pedantic, he didn't say the M9 was set to ISO 6400, he said "at high ISO" which I took to mean the top of its ISO range. If the M240 is at 6400 is still better than the M9 at 2500, that's a result to look forward to.

I would say the M at ISO 6400 is considerably better then the M9 at ISO 2500. Seen with my own eyes on an iMac screen at the munich Leica store ;)

Mike

Edited by Royal_Corona
  • Like 1

I saw M images at ISO 6400, its massively better than the M9 at high ISO....

Peter

Did you see these online or in-store somewhere?

I would say the M at ISO 6400 is considerably better then the M9 at ISO 2500. Seen with my own eyes on an iMac screen at the munich Leica store ;)

Mike

That's very re-assuring. Would you say that 6400 on the M is actually usable or just better than 2500 on the M9? Is the M still quite heavy in the noise at 100% crop at 6400?

In black and white photography the M Monochrom still reigns supreme and the M won’t change that.

I agree that there is something very unique about the quality of the images that the MM produces, but if the M delivers an additional 2 - 3 stops of exposure range, then that will put it on par with the best that b/w negative will deliver (without getting in to some exotic tricks.).

Of course what would be ideal would be a version of the MM based on the 240 sensor...

It seems the moderators here felt Mr. Daniel acted against the Gentleman's agreement when commenting on how Dr. Rhodes actd against a Gentleman's agreement.

OK, I have a headache now....:(

Pistols at dawn at 20 paces.

:-)

I agree that there is something very unique about the quality of the images that the MM produces, but if the M delivers an additional 2 - 3 stops of exposure range, then that will put it on par with the best that b/w negative will deliver (without getting in to some exotic tricks.).

Of course what would be ideal would be a version of the MM based on the 240 sensor...

Actually the advantage of the MM is not really defined by the exposure range imo. (But it helps ;))

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually the advantage of the MM is not really defined by the exposure range imo. (But it helps ;))

I agree. The lack of the bayer pattern is what makes it deliver that unique look.

But personally I would be willing to trade that aspect for several stops of DR.

That's very re-assuring. Would you say that 6400 on the M is actually usable or just better than 2500 on the M9? Is the M still quite heavy in the noise at 100% crop at 6400?

It's been a couple of weeks I saw the files in store on an iMac 27" running Lightroom. And no direct comparison to an M9 file on spot, so all this is just memory and remembered impression:

The M files at 100% looked very, very clean, without the color blobs and highly visible noise you can get on the M9 in underexposed areas. The M file was taken at 1/15 sec handheld with a Lux 35 as far as I remember. It was properly exposed, no postpro noise reduction set in LR. I could see some slight noise at 100%, mainly luminance, but definitely way less then I would have expected from an M9 at ISO 2500. I was quite stunned and the Leica guy just grinned :)

Mike

Edited by Royal_Corona
  • Like 1

I think Mike and I have looked at the same pictures on the same screen - I wonder even whether we met? (Wearing a bright red coat...) But I have ample experience with ISO 1600 on my M9 and the M definitely looked better at 6400.

Peter

• Like 2

I think Mike and I have looked at the same pictures on the same screen - I wonder even whether we met? (Wearing a bright red coat...) But I have ample experience with ISO 1600 on my M9 and the M definitely looked better at 6400.

Peter

Can't remember the red coat, Peter, but then I was distracted enough by the camera.

The picture was an espresso machine, if memory serves well.

Maybe we should arrange to meet next time :)

Mike

Can't remember the red coat, Peter, but then I was distracted enough by the camera.

Mike

Was this down at Foto-Video-Sauter?

I missed you guys by a year.

Servus!

Mike

I saw the espresso machine, a shot from the hotel room and also some shot taken in the store. All of them nicer than I would like :). A meetup would be quite nice.

Peter

Nope, Leica store, Brienner Strasse. Did Sauter also have the new M for demonstration?

Mike

Interesting. That Leica store must be relatively new. I was living in Munich just two odd years ago and either I totally missed it or they must have just opened.

It's relatively new, less than two years IIRC. The staff there are super nice, which partially added to the joy of buying a couple lenses there on separate occasions.

As a non-native German speaker my general retail experience in Germany has sometimes been a bit painful, from a service perspective. These guys though are great.