New M240 photos

Bazwell

I fully appreciate that English is not the Dr.'s first language but "nature" makes no sense - does he mean "mature" or "natural" ? If the latter the meaning is still open to further scrying over

I suspect the latter – natural or unrefined seems to better fit the context.

I'm not sure why I'm joining in the discussion either – I'm truly not interested at all in the camera.:D

I'm interested in the camera and glad to see that it can take decent handheld pics in auto iso mode during a yacht race so far. Did not expect more at this stage so i'm not disappointed. BTW the M-240 could be available next February according to this Swiss dealer: http://tinyurl.com/cwp7s56.

That's what I get :

Not Found

The requested URL /leica-camera-webseite/uploadfiles/c4c55ea9-4e41-453e-9d24-25de4b111c85.pdf was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at Home - Main - Leica Camera AG - Schweiz - Leica - Hasselblad - Panasonic - Linhof - Zeiss Port 80

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

The M240 has caught lot of my interest and that is why I am posting for the first time in this Forum. Dr. Ulrich has added some interesting posts in DPR and three points that are of interest to me. First, the M240 firmware is now in a very "mature" state (not nature state) which indicates that there is a possibility of late Feb launch. Secondly, the dynamic range of M240 is better than the S2 (raw files comparison). Third, no visible noise at high iso (3200?) and performance is on par or even better than Nikon D600 which sound too good to be true here. Even if Dr. Ulrich's claims are 50%-70% accurate, I will be more than happy to be a new M user and permanently surf this Forum :D.

My Fuji X pro1 should be able to get me going in a meanwhile.

LCT's price list is also showing availability of the APO 50mm Summicron ASPH as June 2013. As discussed on another thread, Leica do seem to be in trouble with this one...

[interesting that even with Swiss VAT being 8% compared to our 20%, the Swiss tax inclusive prices are typically more than in the UK. The M240 is shown as CHF 7990 which is £5421; it costs £5100 here. Someone, somewhere is being greedy.]

Edited by marknorton

I live in Switzerland. In December I got an email from the local Leica store in which they told me the new M would be available in January. But I wouldn't trust on this since they are well known in my hometown for crying out loud what they want to have and be. I placed my preorder at another Leica dealer. I wouldn't even trust on the official price list. But it is correct that apparently they are about to rescue the Euro, because prices in Swiss Francs are much too high. I hope my English is understandable. :)

Honestly, it's true.:) The M 240 is the first new Leica body that doesn't tempt me at all. I don't own any R lenses and I have no interest in video.

I have no R lenses and am not interested in video either.

But by far the most significant feature of the M will be its sensor.

Since I don't know how it will perform, I'm naturally very interested in finding out.

Whether it tempts me enough to buy one, who knows.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

I have no R lenses and am not interested in video either.

But by far the most significant feature of the M will be its sensor.

Since I don't know how it will perform, I'm naturally very interested in finding out.

Whether it tempts me enough to buy one, who knows.

I find my existing cameras more than sufficient for my needs, Peter. The sensor isn't a limiting factor for me and a better sensor (whatever that may be) isn't going to make any difference at all to my photography. The biggest limitation I currently face is a lack of time and a new camera isn't going to help me in that regard so I'm genuinely watching developments regarding the new M from the sidelines.:)

• Like 4

In Dr Rhodes own words:

"Just for there record :

These pictures are not leaked, but published with permission.

The firmware is in a very nature state and some of the professional testers ( I am not one of them ) will give input to Leica what they like better.

"

Mike

You would think that post would encourage a flood of humble pie responses - but, not here I guess.

He clarifies that he doesn't consider himself a "professional photographer" (unlike the hoards here who think they are) and also clarifies the slur that he is no breaching any NDA not just showing off because he's rich, or someone's buddy.

My respect for the posters here just gets lower and lower. Nice stuff. Classy, really.

I find my existing cameras more than sufficient for my needs, Peter. The sensor isn't a limiting factor for me and a better sensor (whatever that may be) isn't going to make any difference at all to my photography. The biggest limitation I currently face is a lack of time and a new camera isn't going to help me in that regard so I'm genuinely watching developments regarding the new M from the sidelines.:)

Oh come along now Ian - don't spoil the party.

• Like 2

You would think that post would encourage a flood of humble pie responses - but, not here I guess.

{snipped}

Why?

I didn't read a lot of posters claiming he breached his contract with Leica. Most of us were careful to begin our statements with "no offense personally... but..."

A lot of people did question the reason for posting these (or allowing these to be posted) as perhaps the first shots from a brand-new M (and R) system.

This release is a big deal for some of us. I am interested in the sensor, and the video, and workflow. I'm taking it for granted that the camera can do holiday snaps without fail.

So I fail to understand why Leica would not viral market with professional-looking or at least interesting shots.

There are plenty of amateurs out there capable of doing just that; I personally didn't see anything in the 'released' images that constitutes any kind of "winning" whatsoever. If you viral market--you need something cool to market with. I don't see that.

For me, and YMMV, I also want a pro's assessment of the image quality and workflow capability, which I don't take lightly in a +-$7K camera.

So why humble pie?! This is just regular internet stuff. You post something--be prepared for all kinds of commentary. That's netiquette; you don't *have* to post.

• Like 3

He clarifies that he doesn't consider himself a "professional photographer" (unlike the hoards here who think they are) and also clarifies the slur that he is no breaching any NDA not just showing off because he's rich, or someone's buddy.

My respect for the posters here just gets lower and lower. Nice stuff. Classy, really.

Too much irony/sarcasm for me to decode at this time to day to understand what you are saying!

Jamie, I think he's writing tongue in cheek, though I could be wrong. For myself, I think it's strange Leica continue to allow this leak of holiday snaps and - by his own admission - inexpert assessment of the state of the camera to be published. If I were Leica, I would want to be in control and publish the images which show the camera off to its best advantage when it is finally ready. But then, I am not Leica and Leica's marketing has caused lots of head scratching in the past.

Edited by marknorton
  • Like 3

"this sucks, again a plonker with connections and absolutely no photographic skills! I bet he can make the same images with his iphone.."

"I would guess that the Dr has breached a NDA, or perhaps he just got his hands on someone else's test camera?"

"In any event, he should put a lid on his self-indugence"

The insinuation, whilst well stated, that his testing is not worthy. It should be done by a "serious" professional. Of course we don't know that it isn't, but we'll assume the worst. He's a tester, like it or not. We don't know why he is, but again we'll assume the worst naturally. He's allowed to post his results, for reasons we're not privy to, but we think he should keep himself to himself. In our "humble" opinions. Pah, right.

The only thing I get out of the images are that I can't draw any conclusions yet. Neither about the camera nor the man posting them.

• Like 2

Too much irony/sarcasm for me to decode at this time to day to understand what you are saying!

Jamie, I think he's writing tongue in cheek, though I could be wrong. For myself, I think it's strange Leica continue to allow this leak of holiday snaps and - by his own admission - inexpert assessment of the state of the camera to be published. If I were Leica, I would want to be in control and publish the images which show the camera off to its best advantage when it is finally ready. But then, I am not Leica and Leica's marketing has caused lots of head scratching in the past.

A well stated opinion, that I agree with, that doesn't contain any personal attack or snide remarks.

I think a lot of what Leica does is strange. Some of it endears them to me, some of it puts me right off! The M looks to be my dream camera, no exaggeration. I'm very enthusiastic - and first in my dealers list.