Nitro, new photo editing app

Apple Aperture is the best photo editing program I have used. I've never been able to "remaster" my old raw files in other programs to look as good as they did when developed in Aperture, so this sounds very promising. Unfortunately my MacBook Pro is too old to install Nitro, but I'll be buying a new Mac soon and I'll try it out then.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, evikne said:

Unfortunately my MacBook Pro is too old to install Nitro

The same here with my iMac.

Hopefully someone who is more up-to-date will try it and chime in here.

10 hours ago, evikne said:

Apple Aperture is the best photo editing program I have used. I've never been able to "remaster" my old raw files in other programs to look as good as they did when developed in Aperture, so this sounds very promising. Unfortunately my MacBook Pro is too old to install Nitro, but I'll be buying a new Mac soon and I'll try it out then.

I really loved Apple Aperture, mostly for its simple and very intuitive interface. I just hated that Apple discontinued it and I had to switch to LR. I was not as pleased with both the results of LR as with the UI from LR.

Actually there is a version of Apple Aperture  that I managed to get it running on Mac OS Monterey, maybe it would even run on the current Mac OS. If anyone is interested  you can PM me. I used this compatible version mainly to export old Aperture Catalogs, because Aperture is getting really old now,  No doubt that LR and C1P will now produce better results and have more advanced tools.

Now I am using Capture One Pro v23 and I am happy with its RAW processing, and certainly do not feel that I had better results with Aperture. I am not so much with the  DAM features of C1P though. Aperture still remains the best integrated solution with DAM ever.

All three PP apps use a different RAW processing engine which explains why the results starting from the same RAW file can be so different and why it is impossible to do a 1-1 import-export from their catalogs.  Some of the sliders and modules do not even exist in all three and if they exist, they act completely differently (e.g. Clarity)

Experiments with DarkTable teached me that even the order in which processing operations are executed can affect the end result. In DT you are able to play with that if you want to tweak the result.

Nitro looks interesting to me. It would certainly be a cheap alternative to Adobe.if I did not already have C1P it would certainly interest me.

I've been using Nitro, I had early access as a beta tester.  I'm a long standing user of Raw Power, Nitro is a comprehensive update.  As well as more editing features (more than I would typically use), the developer Nik has put a ton of craftsmanship into the user experience - the image viewing and comparison, metadata examination and organisation are excellent (and fun).  I also can't run it on my iMac but it runs well on my 2021 MBP, I'd thoroughly recommend a trial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If it's a OS version issue that prevents the app from installing take a look at Opencore https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher which allows you to install newer versions of MacOS on hardware that Apple won't allow you to.

I use it on my old Macbook Pro and It seems to work very will.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also started with Aperture, moved to Raw Power and have been trying out Nitro. I think Nitro is a great upgrade from RawPower. With the new features, it does most of what I need, simple intuitive and  powerful. I really like the option of using it with Photos as well as a standalone app. I’m using a first generation M1 MacBook Pro, which works well. The view update can be slow when using it as a standalone after having used another editing program as an extension.

you also have a choice between a subscription or single purchase options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 7:09 PM, Bobitybob said:

If it's a OS version issue that prevents the app from installing take a look at Opencore https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher which allows you to install newer versions of MacOS on hardware that Apple won't allow you to.

I use it on my old Macbook Pro and It seems to work very will.

Thanks for the suggestion but I contacted the developer of Nitro about Opencore, he said he does not support OCLP. He told me that it may work for some people but someone tried it already and found that Apple's Metal compiler for the GPU crashed which is not something he can fix.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, andy3009 said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I contacted the developer of Nitro about Opencore, he said he does not support OCLP. He told me that it may work for some people but someone tried it already and found that Apple's Metal compiler for the GPU crashed which is not something he can fix.

Thanks for the info.  

I'm a happy LRc user so probably won't be interested in Nitro unless something goes seriously wrong at Adobe. However, I've been using OCLP for sometime with good effect so out of curiosity I thought I would download Nitro to my MacBook Pro and give it a go.

Well, as you can see from the screenshot attached it loaded up and appeared to run without any issues during the short test on the files I gave it a try with.  As you can see they included Old Canon, Leica DMR, Digilux2, M9 and even Fuji GFX files.

I was interested to see in the software system requirements that it states that indeed it does not 'support' OCLP, but there you go apparently it does now.  This is the latest version of Ventura and OCLP so perhaps something has changed recently.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As I said I did not conduct an exhaustive test so it still may not work fully and I may be lucky with my particular MacBook spec, but for some users who don't want to or can't afford to change their machine it may be worth a try as a way to get newer software that they may otherwise would not get access to.

Edited by Bobitybob

I looked at Nitro with some interest but can't obtain such good processing results as I can with Capture One (which is obviously significantly more expensive, of course). However, the real blocker for me was lack of any support for keywording. (I can, and do, keyword in Photo Mechanic, but find it frustating not to see or use—for search, for example—those keywords in Nitro.)

Stephen

2 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

I looked at Nitro with some interest but can't obtain such good processing results as I can with Capture One (which is obviously significantly more expensive, of course).

Agreed. Capture One is arguably the most useful and powerful photo editor on the market for photographers with demanding deadlines and demanding clients attending sessions in person or remotely. The price mirrors the customer base.

Nitro on the other hand is a refreshing attempt to make proper photo editing available to the Apple crowd who prefer to use Photos as their photo hub. Nitro’s tool set is capable and leaves not much to be desired. If I were photographing my family, travels etc. and were looking for a convenient solution on a Mac, I’d take a closer look at Nitro.

I have downloaded and try Nitro (still at free trial period) and below is being the colour of same raw file using Lightroom (left side ) vs. Nitro (right side).

Which colour is more pleasing to your eyes (understand it is subjective)?

Would like to bring two points to your attention:

1) Photo by Lightroom is using Adobe colour profile and not sure what colour profile in Nitro as there are no options user can choose from.

2) Nitro does not provide lens profile( i.e distortion control) and Nitro's default with Apple correction (whatever it may mean) which can be turned off.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, swatch said:

I have downloaded and try Nitro (still at free trial period) and below is being the colour of same raw file using Lightroom (left side ) vs. Nitro (right side).

Which colour is more pleasing to your eyes (understand it is subjective)?

Would like to bring two points to your attention:

1) Photo by Lightroom is using Adobe colour profile and not sure what colour profile in Nitro as there are no options user can choose from.

2) Nitro does not provide lens profile( i.e distortion control) and Nitro's default with Apple correction (whatever it may mean) which can be turned off.

I like that the left image appears on my monitor to have more yellow in it, so it comes across as bit more vibrant. But the image on right feels more accurate.

Oh, and thanks Wellfleet for this thread, I will now go take a look at Nitro myself.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:18 AM, dpitt said:

Actually there is a version of Apple Aperture  that I managed to get it running on Mac OS Monterey, maybe it would even run on the current Mac OS. If anyone is interested  you can PM me. I used this compatible version mainly to export old Aperture Catalogs, because Aperture is getting really old now,  No doubt that LR and C1P will now produce better results and have more advanced tools.

It is quite possible that it will run under Rosetta 2, even in Sonoma.

55 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It is quite possible that it will run under Rosetta 2, even in Sonoma.

If it is just about getting access to the Apple Aperture catalogs then there is an even better solution. You can open the Aperture 3.6 Catalogs with any recent Photos app.It will copy and convert it to a Photos library. Then you can export original DNGs from there. You could even edit the files again, but I am not sure that it will keep all the exact changes made in Aperture in that case.

So, I downloaded Nitro. Looks nice. 

But no arbitrary angle rotation and that's something I need to correct for horizon - Nitro doesn't seem to have this capability ?