Time to vote: One Challenge: Wetzlar

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You have two hours to take one best shot from one film/36 exposures, using one lens and one camera body in a different city every year.

Are digital cameras allowed? Zoom lenses? Is using non-Leica gear allowed? Is it open to insiders only (because there's threads about voting and results but no information about what it is in the first place, how to attend, and what the rules are)?

Normal forum rules apply

There was a huge discussion in the meetings section

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/210578-copenhagen-final-call.html

and all nine challenges have been well discussed here.

I also posted on the German side and several German members attended this year.

Everyone is welcome.

• Like 4

Andy's right, it's hardly a secret :)

The whole reason I started it in the first place was to encourage "real-world" social interactivity between forum members.

Every year it gets extensive coverage. It also gets bigger and bigger - but never any easier. Going to "the Mothership" for #10 is a grand culmination of all that has gone before. We started out with 12 photographers, meeting at 12 noon on the 12th of the 12th; this year we had 31 entrants and far more than that for dinner, with partners. People travel great distances to meet up and participate. I would genuinely not be surprised to see 50 in Wetzlar next October... :D

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 6

Just for the record, so far we have been to:-

London 2004

Amsterdam 2005

Paris 2006

Berlin 2007

Krakow 2008

Malta 2009

Venice 2010

Palermo 2011

Copenhagen 2012

With Wetzlar next year

We even had three pages in LFI when we went to Berlin.

IIRC, the Challenge gets a mention in the Forum Newsletter that Andreas sends out too.

Results of some of the previous Challenges are here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-one-challenge/

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 5

Are digital cameras allowed? Zoom lenses? Is using non-Leica gear allowed? Is it open to insiders only (because there's threads about voting and results but no information about what it is in the first place, how to attend, and what the rules are)?

Normal forum rules apply

There was a huge discussion in the meetings section

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/210578-copenhagen-final-call.html

and all nine challenges have been well discussed here.

I also posted on the German side and several German members attended this year.

Everyone is welcome.

Olaf,

I ran the 2011 One Challenge in Palermo and I support everything Andy has said. In 2011 it was my intention to inform as many people as possible about the One Challenge so in addition to threads started in the (then) Forum Members Meeting sub forum (now called the Events and Member Meetings sub forum) I posted separate threads to direct members to the appropriate threads for the One Challenge rules, the meeting places, the dinner, the entries, the voting, and the results in - from memory - Barnacks Bar, the M9 forum, the M8 forum the Customer forum, the Film forum, and the Digital forum and a German-speaking member on my behalf very kindly posted threads in the German side of the forum (thanks, StS). I tried to 'hit' as many of the most popular forums and sub forums as I could. Andreas also very kindly included details in his newsletter and it featured in the blog.

I'm sorry that the publicity has missed you but I struggle to know what else we could have done but I hope you can join us this year in Wetzlar.

I think it is important to make the point that it is not, and never has been, an 'insiders only' event. We have forum members who are new to the One Challenge join it each year and I sincerely hope that they feel welcome and included. There are even some who attend the One Challenge but don't post on the forum in between and they are of course most welcome too.

I look forward to the prospect of meeting you in Wetzlar, whether you choose to compete or not.:)

Pete.

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can fully recommend it, although it is no easy task. It is called "Challenge" for a reason. As I said in an old post, my personal target is always to catch a picture in this time frame, which is worth to be shown. I'm happy, if there are people at all, who consider my image good enough to rate it in the top three range among strong competition (there are several professionals coming every year).

This year I got an additional "made me smile" remark (which was the intention). :)

Stefan

• Like 4

My better half and I participated in the Copenhagen One Challenge for the first time. We've really enjoyed to meet some Leica fellows, the evenings in local watering holes and the challenge itself.

Erik - another One Challenge participant- who lives in Copenhagen has been so kind to give his very own inside view of Copenhagen - thanks Eric. The organization of the event and meetups has been wonderful - thanks to Andy and Carl.

Next year we are definitely going to Wetzlar!

Looking forward to reunite on the 2nd weekend of October 2013,

Carsten & Dagmar

Edited by photoallee
  • Like 4

Brian

The Frankfurt - Wetzlar journey is the tricky bit if you take the train.

Hope this page will appear. at least it seems to on my computer. The DB site really does give useful information particularly wrt platforms etc. for changing trains. There seems to be direct trains back to FRA on Sunday. Does not seem to be too problematic unless I'm missing something. Taxi from station to hotel.

Edited by spylaw4

If it helps - when we were there a few weeks ago, the cost of a shared taxi from Wetzlar to Frankfurt airport (70kms) was about the same as taxi to station+train to Frankfurt+ train to airport - and much easier. We booked 7 seaters which are a bit cheaper than 4 seaters. From memory I think it was €15 each including tip. If you want to use taxi's going I would get Wetzlar hotels to book them to meet you, as I don't know what airport taxi's charge.

Edited by pedaes
correction

i've been reading and enjoying the articles and photos about the Challenge since 2007 (m8 ;)), but the copenhagen challenge was the first one we were able to attend.

it was nice to see that the old hands - veterans of many previous challenges - knew each other well and were glad to meet up in new surroundings, but i'm here to reassure you that the veterans took every EVERY opportunity to say hello, introduce themselves, and get to know you. karen & i felt very welcome in copenhagen, and have already booked our hotel in wetzlar for next year's event.

also, nicht lange ueberlegen, einfach buchen und mitmachen. so ein challenge macht spass, und lohnt sich fotografisch & menschlich dabei zu sein.

so don't hesitate, just book your hotel and join us. it's sure to be an enjoyable weekend, and will be worthwhile both for the photographic challenge as well as for the personal contacts you'll make.

greetings from hamburg

rick & karen

Edited by rickp13
  • Like 9

I when I last went to Wetzlar I flew to Cologne (Germanwings) and took the train directly from Cologne airport station to Wetzlar (under 2 hours}. You could now book Eurostar to Cologne and take the local train directly from Cologne main station (HBF). Cologne is a much nicer place in my opinion than Frankfurt to break ones journey for a day or two.