New Summicron

Fgcm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Again, megapixels are how many pixel sites there are on a sensor. Megabytes are just about how much space the file takes up on your card or hard disc. They are measures of two different things, not necessarily a function of each other.

The size on disc only varies according to how big the disc is. Generally, the larger the disc, the larger the files will be. It is due to 'cluster factor' of the disc.

Regardless, it is close enough.

Too rich for my blood.

That list of Leica products just keeps on growing! :rolleyes:

Is Leica's business strategy to relentlessly pursue the bottomless pockets of the mega-rich elite few who haunt the Asian market while consigning the majority of Leica connoisseurs and working photographers who use Leicas to scavenging on the used market?

It is certainly starting to look that way...

Edited by Messsucherkamera

The thing is this:

IF the funds are available or idle, you'd be better off buying this lens or any Leica lens and having it sit in a drawer unused that holding on to US dollars. Interest rates are ZERO effectively. I can guarantee the unused new Leica lens in three years, if you wanted to sell it, would do better than idle cash in the bank. I may well buy one and just keep using my 50 Lux ASPH on my M9. This Summicron might well lie unopened in a closet...unless I just get wildly curious.

• Like 1

That list of Leica products just keeps on growing! :rolleyes:

Is Leica's business strategy to relentlessly pursue the bottomless pockets of the mega-rich elite few who haunt the Asian market while consigning the majority of Leica connoisseurs and working photographers who use Leicas to scavenging on the used market?

It is certainly starting to look that way...

5000 Euro = mega-rich?:confused: Sorry, I do not follow..:rolleyes:

5000 Euro = mega-rich?:confused: Sorry, I do not follow..:rolleyes:

You know, after the initial shock and indignation, I guess it isn't that bad when compared to other hobby types of things. Many spend more on fuel for their boats in a summer, or what ever.

I'm first on the list at my dealer and although I said it wasn't for me, as a hobby type thing I might get it and play with it for a couple of months and sell it. It is not like it would be a loosing proposition.

Maybe, we can get a list of people that would want to pass it around and play with it for a month each. Just thinking out loud.

How many of these things are they going to make? Does anybody have a guess?

Anybody know how many M9Ms they are going to make? It would certainly be a loosing proposition.

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 2

It looks like if we all want to get MF type performance from our future 35mm size sensor cameras then we may have to get used to paying MF type lens prices.

Looks good for future sensor performance and products including M10 if Leica feels that they need to up the ante on lens performance to match.

If the funds are available or idle, you'd be better off buying this lens or any Leica lens and having it sit in a drawer unused that holding on to US dollars. [...] I can guarantee the unused new Leica lens in three years, if you wanted to sell it, would do better than idle cash in the bank. [...] This Summicron might well lie unopened in a closet ... unless I just get wildly curious.

It also works with Scotch whisky.

Now that you mention it - i do not really like whisky, and I have an unopened bottle of single malt in my cupboard that has been sitting there for the last five years... I should put it in the B&S here:D

For those complaining about the price of the new 50 Summicron:

let's face it, the 2.0/50 Summicron is/was the Leica 50mm reference lens, and was always affordable (within the price range of Leica lenses).

Now the new Karbe reference lens is out and it's EXPENSIVE. Yes, it would have been very nice for Leica to release the new reference 50mm lens at an affordable price but it didn't.

Would I like one? Of course.

Will I buy one? No...(I think:D)

Why? Because although I could afford one there are other things I'd rather spend my money on, and as I print all of my favourite photographs up to A3+ - A2 I'm unlikely to really see/appreciate the difference.

Probably doesn't bother those who prefer the rendering of the Mandler designs. The rest of us will just have to suffer with our crap inferior 50mm glass: Summicron, Summilux FLE, and Noctilux.

Life is so unfair!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

The thing is this:

IF the funds are available or idle, you'd be better off buying this lens or any Leica lens and having it sit in a drawer unused that holding on to US dollars. Interest rates are ZERO effectively. I can guarantee the unused new Leica lens in three years, if you wanted to sell it, would do better than idle cash in the bank. .

Actually that's a good point. The Leica lenses and high-end Swiss watches I bought in the late 90s are the only things I own with a positive ROI. Who knew? Now if I can just present it to my wife in a convincing manner...maybe a Powerpoint presentation :D

I thought Steve Huffs photograph of a couple of Arab Sheiks hovering around a Leica display case, summed up nicely where Leica stands today:D

My day in Berlin and the Leica Monochrome announcement video | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Ah, the two rather nice gentlemen from Qatar. Are you suggesting Leica should discriminate by race and religion whom they sell to ? You are stereotyping people here."Because they wear middle-east type clothes they must be filthy rich Petrodollar spenders. Probably their next purchase will be a few gold-plated Mercedes Maybachs"....:rolleyes: Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

You are stereotyping people here."Because they wear middle-east type clothes they must be filthy rich Petrodollar spenders. Probably their next purchase will be a few gold-plated Mercedes Maybachs"....:rolleyes:

Does your mind reading ability come to you naturally or did you acquire this skill at university?

Just curious...

Ah, the two rather nice gentlemen from Qatar.
How do you know that they are nice? Are they automatically nice because they are wearing middle-east type clothes? Or is it because they are from Qatar? Is that not also a form of stereotyping?

Just wondering...

Edited by Messsucherkamera

They are nice because I found so when I was talking to them, both at the event and in the lobby of my hotel.

As for the mind reading, it is more your post-reading. That is a qualification of the stereotyping I was referring to, not the state of mind of the gentlemen. See the quotation marks.

Edited by jaapv

Leica pronounced that the new summicron will not substitute the old one but is an addition to the portfolio. In this respect everyone should be happy. I actually think the new lens will be more appreciated than the summarit range of lenses who are sadly underrated by the customer base.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, they said the same thing about the 21mm Elmarit and the 24mm Elmarit. And where are they now?

Even for Leica, it is absurd to offer five different 50mm lenses. Especially if two of them are f:2. Their time-honoured system of batch manufacture makes it possible for them to keep many models in the air, but the more numerous they get, the longer the wait will be until a new batch is manufactured. There is a breaking point, and they are dangerously close to it.

The old man from the Age of Kodachrome

• Like 1

Steve, they said the same thing about the 21mm Elmarit and the 24mm Elmarit. And where are they now?

Even for Leica, it is absurd to offer five different 50mm lenses. Especially if two of them are f:2. Their time-honoured system of batch manufacture makes it possible for them to keep many models in the air, but the more numerous they get, the longer the wait will be until a new batch is manufactured. There is a breaking point, and they are dangerously close to it.

The old man from the Age of Kodachrome

Maybe you're right. The 2.5/50 Summarit is such a good and relatively cheap lens with the only significant difference to the current 2.0/50 Summicron being about 1/2 stop. This will be more than compensated for with better sensors in the future. Perhaps it is bye-bye to the current 50 Summicron.