75 Summilux

Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course, I might change my opinion once I get the lens back from CLA and coding though I'm rather doubtful.

None of them are calibrated for digital out of the box - you might be very pleasantly surprised. Mine became a piece of cake to focus at 1.4 after CLA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick question for owners of the version one Lux 75 without the build-in hood: can you confirm for me that the MFD is actually 0.9m (instead of 0.75m for the subsequent versions)? It seems that way from photographs of the lens body. Thank you.

Edited by alanjung

Having had the chance to use my Lux 75 quite a bit now, I'm coming round to the view that, given the wafer thin DoF and difficulty in nailing focus at f/1.4 stopping down to f/2 or even further makes for a far easier life and far fewer binned images. Sacrilege, no doubt, to those who'd say, with some justification, why bother with the weight, size and expense of a Summilux if you're going to shoot it stopped down. However, I don't find I loose much of the inherent quality of this lens by stopping down a bit and it sure helps if your eye isn't as perfect as it once was and you're not using a magnifier or EVF as a focus aid. Of course, I might change my opinion once I get the lens back from CLA and coding though I'm rather doubtful.

I completely agree with you. The inherent qualities of the lens are still present at 2.0 or below and contrast is much improved. f1.4 is there is I need or want it. Regardless, I'm not into razor-thin DOF.

This is the eye 100% from the shot I previously published. honestly this sharpness is crazy to any standard for such a luminous lens.

Apologies, and I realise we all like different things which is certainly OK, but to my eyes only the highlights in the eyes in that portrait are sharp. I would have shot at another aperture.

I have been interested in the 75mm focal length for a while and imagine it will be a perfect street photo lens for portraits and closer crops. I've considered the Summilux, however even though I use film and would probably benefit from the extra stop in some settings, I will go for the 75 Summicron instead.

Philip

Philip, if I were to look for a 75mm today I would definitely consider the Summicron.

Much as I fancied the Summilux, I finally picked up a 6-bit coded Summicron at too low a price to miss. It may not have the mystique and Mandler characteristics of the Summilux, but IMO is one of Leica's better offerings. A fabulous lens which offers superb performance. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

[And much as I would still like to own and use a 75mm Summilux, I think that the prices are now silly especially if its compared with the 75mm Summicron which, whilst not exactly cheap, does offer state-o-the-art performance].

• Like 2

Much as I fancied the Summilux, I finally picked up a 6-bit coded Summicron at too low a price to miss. It may not have the mystique and Mandler characteristics of the Summilux, but IMO is one of Leica's better offerings. A fabulous lens which offers superb performance. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

[And much as I would still like to own and use a 75mm Summilux, I think that the prices are now silly especially if its compared with the 75mm Summicron which, whilst not exactly cheap, does offer state-o-the-art performance].

I think a lot of the "asking" prices you see around for the 75mm Summilux are indeed silly. One wonders whether any actually sell at these inflated prices. With care and a little luck, however, you can find a good 75 Lux at a reasonable price. I bought mine (exc++) for £1,800 a couple of months ago.

Though I've not tried the APO-Summicron 75mm I guess it must be similar to the 90mm. If it is, IMO, the Lux and the Cron must be like chalk and cheese. One not necessarily better than the other just very different. Indeed, whilst I'll always hang on to the Lux at some stage in the future I'd quite like to add the Cron to my stable.

• Like 1

Though I've not tried the APO-Summicron 75mm I guess it must be similar to the 90mm. If it is, IMO, the Lux and the Cron must be like chalk and cheese. One not necessarily better than the other just very different. Indeed, whilst I'll always hang on to the Lux at some stage in the future I'd quite like to add the Cron to my stable.

The 75 Cron is the front half of the 50 Summilux combined with the rear half of the 35 FLE Summilux by all accounts - the rendering is more like the 50 Summilux, but with that much more depth.

I've only handled one in the shop, but just from looking at the test pictures I like it more than my 50 and 75 Summilux lenses.

• Like 1

Each time someone posts a photo made with 75lux in a thread like this, the price on ebay goes a tad up. :-)

If I post a few of mine, more than likely the upward trend will be brought to an abrupt halt before being put into reverse ;)

• Like 1

The 75 Cron is the front half of the 50 Summilux combined with the rear half of the 35 FLE Summilux by all accounts - the rendering is more like the 50 Summilux, but with that much more depth.

I've only handled one in the shop, but just from looking at the test pictures I like it more than my 50 and 75 Summilux lenses.

What you say further confirms that it's a lens I'd eventually like to have.

Though I've not tried the APO-Summicron 75mm I guess it must be similar to the 90mm.

The SAA 90 has IMO a completely different character from the cron 75, which resembles more the lux50 indeed

Quick question for owners of the version one Lux 75 without the build-in hood: can you confirm for me that the MFD is actually 0.9m (instead of 0.75m for the subsequent versions)? It seems that way from photographs of the lens body. Thank you.

Yes... they have even a different product code (11814 - 11815)

• Like 1