Vulcanite being discontinued

Jeff S

Andy, I really don't mind the psudo-vulcanite-vinyl covering that is on my M9-P. It looks and wears well, i.e. does not shrink/expand in heat, cold, wet, dry environments. While leather might have a better feel I'm not sure it would last as long.

Leica made a big deal of the change from the grey paint M9's "sandpaper" covering when they introduced the M9-P. To take it away now is just sloppy manufacturing practices.

True (right) and false (left) vulcanite. No leather in either.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

"Vulcanite" has been an imitation for years.

I bet most people would prefer a little bit of real leather as a covering in lieu of some rubbish plastic covering, for the same price.

Not me. I don't particularly like the leather covering I've seen on Leica bodies - a bit too smooth, too thick and the fitting is often just a little sloppy. The standard covering found on the M6 and M7 is just perfect IMO but the faux vulcanite offered until now is fine too. The MP/M8 'bath mat' covering is more an acquired taste but I don't mind it.

The new stuff looks more like M6-M7 covering. It's just a slightly different embossing pattern. Evidently Leica's supplier of the Vulcanite pattern material either discontinued it or decided to raise their prices and Leica sourced it elsewhere and the new supplier wouldn't do the Vulcanite pattern at the price Leica was willing to pay. Perhaps in the future Leica will find a new source of the Vulcanite pattern and offer it as a $1000 upgrade, like they did when they deleted the sapphire LCD from the M9 and then re-offered it as an upgrade.

That is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The Vulcanite material is "No longer available"???...It sounds as if Leica could use some improvement in their global sourcing department.

Exactly - the vulcanite-style covering is not made from some exotic material from Spock's home planet. I find it hard to believe that there is not a single factory anywhere in the world that is both able and willing to make something similar. It's more likely that Solms could not be bothered to find a proper replacement material.

When the original-style vulcanite on my 9cm Elmarit crumbled, Leica told me that it could not replace this, but would have to use a black leather-style material. Luckily I was able to find a craftsman who was able to provide the right material and do an superb repair.

But as Solms' original decision not to offer the M9 in silver chrome demonstrated, they are not really interested in meeting the requirements of the traditionally-minded customer.

It will be interesting to see if the change of covering will have any effect of future sales of the silver M9-P...

Best regards,

Doug

• Like 2

of course that's correct but perhaps he meant 'deleted it'- as in- didn't carry it through from the last model- the M8.2...

just giving the benefit of the doubt is all...

Exactly...I'm sure he meant to say 'omitted' rather than 'deleted.'

On a related note, I think the decision to change the 2m frame lines from the M8.2 was a more significant issue. But, that's another discussion.

Jeff

I'm feeling pleased that I decided to get my M3 covered with vulcanite now (assuming it still happens).

In terms of the 1,000 EUro charge referred to above, the a la carte costs are nowhere near that, and the vulcanite itself for my M3 cost 10 Euros, if I'm reading the statement right. The labour to fit it is another story altogether - fitting vulcanite to a new camera should not incur any additional charge, as they will fit something, and presumably it's no harder to fit than leather or any other covering (?).

Cheers

John

It's only to be expected that Vulcanite is no longer available with the destruction of planet Vulcan in star date 2258 (2009 for most earthlings).

But that happened in an alternate timeline and may not affect us (depending on which timeline we suppose we are in).

• Like 1

of course that's correct but perhaps he meant 'deleted it'- as in- didn't carry it through from the last model- the M8.2...

just giving the benefit of the doubt is all...

Yes, that's what I meant. Backpedaled or rescinded were words I was going to use but I thought it might sound like I was complaining ;)