Wear in vulcanite / body covering

Chris_Jenks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I never had any problems with the M240 (I’ve owned no later M). Similar problems have been reported, though, with the SL2 and its integral grip. 

People have different physiologies that can cause this problem. My nails, trimmed, are well short of the end of my finger. My in-house masseuse has trimmed nails that extend beyond the soft finger tips. She has neither a M11 nor a SL2, but it still causes problems in certain circumstances……….

i think fingernail length is only a potential issue if using the grip.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, jaapv said:

I find it rather shocking that a supposedly quality product uses low-grade plastified paper as fake leather covering.

Well good God! 

Who has been running around claiming that Leica ever intended these cameras to be used??  

That's sheer madness!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Well good God! 

Who has been running around claiming that Leica ever intended these cameras to be used??  

That's sheer madness!

The same folks that put more stock in how a camera looks as opposed to what it does.

I'm pretty sure Leica is paying attention and the M12 will be entirely fingernail proof. Time to trade up - or sell your M11 to me for $2000 as sadly I still bite my fingernails. I know, I know... By the time of the M15, all Leica cameras will be encased in their own personal vitrine so no worries about wear and tear, just a little funky to use (but easy to display!). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I'm pretty sure Leica is paying attention and the M12 will be entirely fingernail proof. Time to trade up - or sell your M11 to me for $2000 as sadly I still bite my fingernails. I know, I know... By the time of the M15, all Leica cameras will be encased in their own personal vitrine so no worries about wear and tear, just a little funky to use (but easy to display!). 

Kevlar

Just now, charlesphoto99 said:

Yeah, but weren't people complaining about the Kevlar on the reporter's editions becoming funky because they went and, gasp, actually used the camera? 

Yes. The word neophyte comes to mind.

The wear spot illustrated is similar to wear spots of my SL2.  Similar wear spots have been noted by other SL2 owners.  The wear spot illustrated is similar to wear spots of my SL2.  Similar wear spots have been noted by other SL2 owners.  The material seems durable enough to make it through the warrantee period.   

Thanks everyone for the comments - my fingernails are cut short BTW! I’d like to report that I have just received a leather half case I ordered from China and I could not be more pleased with it. Very well made with built-in handgrip, built in tripod plate and access to the battery and SD card. Problem solved. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 5:54 PM, jdlaing said:

Kevlar

On 3/7/2024 at 5:57 PM, charlesphoto99 said:

Yeah, but weren't people complaining about the Kevlar on the reporter's editions becoming funky because they went and, gasp, actually used the camera? 

I use the "camera formerly known as kevlar covered" aramid Reporter M10-P daily. The "fibre that shall not be named due to copyright protection from DuPont" does become funky, but not nearly as much as this piece of crap on the photos. And at least it is still there in full - with addition to some dirt and dead skin, I might add.

Edited by Al Brown