Still Loving the M8

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(M8/35)

lambda.

A fantastic camera still producing the goods after 6 years.

Chris,

That's a beautiful picture! Love the colour! What lens were you using when you took that shot?

Thanks. I used a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 SC version, I think this was shot at f2 with no filters. The lens in general gets a bit of flack in reviews and is certainly a little soft wide open, but I like it and even shoot it on my Fuji Xpro 1.

• Like 1

CV21/4 aperture unknown

Australian summer - temperature about 38 deg C, great gliding conditions!

12304242613_ab415c6c06_c.jpg

Been awhile since I was up in the air and I miss it!

Looks like cloud base is a little low at about 3500 to 4000 feet, or am I off?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been awhile since I was up in the air and I miss it!

Looks like cloud base is a little low at about 3500 to 4000 feet, or am I off?

Yes, sorry you are off - it was certainly above 10,500 and elsewhere in the region it was 13-14000! Local altitude of the field is 2500, so that also helps.

I hope you get back soaring again soon.

Here's another from the day - CV90/3.5 APO - colour is a bit off. You know it's remarkable - this 10 megapixel camera is capable of giving me crisp files that seem to rival the new Sony A7R that I also have.

12341045204_fcc48a2f2c_o.jpg

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1

(M8/35)

lambda.

Yes, sorry you are off - it was certainly above 10,500 and elsewhere in the region it was 13-14000! Local altitude of the field is 2500, so that also helps.

I hope you get back soaring again soon.

Here's another from the day - CV90/3.5 APO - colour is a bit off. You know it's remarkable - this 10 megapixel camera is capable of giving me crisp files that seem to rival the new Sony A7R that I also have.

Well, the girlfriend really wants me to keep my feet on the ground and I have been so busy that I have not had time to fly (motorized or not). She would not actually stop me, but she does have some fear about it. Also, Florida is not the best place in the world as the cloud base tends to be around 3-4 thousand feet most days and the nearest gliderport is a bit of a hike.

I was always hesitant about getting an M8 due to the file size and how old the camera was compared to modern alternatives. However, the curiosity factor about using a rangefinder just nagged me until I found a cheap bargain M8 and rented a lens.

I was pleasantly surprised when I started looking at the results. While I can't crop like my D800, the M8 IQ was excellent. Actually, I was shocked.

So I bought a used Zeiss 28mm f/2.8, a filter, and have been looking for any opportunity to take the M8 out so I can practice building up my skills. It's a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Curious lamb :), taken with the M8.2.

Edited by Anke
  • Like 4

...I was always hesitant about getting an M8 due to the file size and how old the camera was compared to modern alternatives. However, the curiosity factor about using a rangefinder just nagged me until I found a cheap bargain M8 and rented a lens.

I was pleasantly surprised when I started looking at the results. While I can't crop like my D800, the M8 IQ was excellent. Actually, I was shocked.

So I bought a used Zeiss 28mm f/2.8, a filter, and have been looking for any opportunity to take the M8 out so I can practice building up my skills. It's a lot of fun!

Glad to hear your positive experience! And hopefully posts like yours and this thread may dispel some of the misinformation and distortions spread about the M8...

Even with an M240 at hand, I've kept both my M8's, because the low sale prices make it more worthwhile to keep than sell. The M8 is an excellent camera, and better suited for very wide lenses than the M.

Best wishes

Doug

• Like 1

(M8/35)

lambda.