Rare Summicron

Actually the description quite clearly states (my emphasis):

"This part of my fathers collection and from his notes it looks as if the lens was purchased in 1972 but we cannot be totally sure."

I don't think there is any reason to wade into the thread casting aspersions.:rolleyes:

Come, on Ian. Surely one can remember if a lens belongs to one's father's collection or if it is a fairly recent acquisition. And if one is unsure, why mention the father at all? The intention is clearly to establish provenance. I'm not casting aspersions, and I have no way of knowing if the lens is genuine, apparently the buyer has ;) but I was just pointing out an inconsistency. Edited by jaapv

Come, on Ian. Surely one can remember if a lens belongs to one's father's collection or if it is a fairly recent acquisition. And if one is unsure, why mention the father at all? The intention is clearly to establish provenance. I'm not casting aspersions, and I have no way of knowing if the lens is genuine, apparently the buyer has ;) but I was just pointing out an inconsistency.

Now that the auction is ended I post copy of the answer, from the seller, of my message 01/03/11 at 9.04 am, to your appreciation:

"Hello, I cannot tell you who or when the lens was painted my father had 8 Leica 50mm lenses of which some were black, we thought it had been bought in 70's from his notes but it would appear this might not be the case. All I can tell you is that it looks very good and appears to be painted on brass so if it was a silver finish lens there is no evidence of that now. sincerly",

jdiconsult

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 1

Perhaps he will buy this one as a spare!

Leica M 2,0/50mm Summicron black paint dummy ver on eBay (end time 08-Apr-11 10:41:27 BST)

Note the chrome mount on this original BP (although unusable!)

or this... (brass mount)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leica-M-1-2-5-cm-black-paint-Summicron-first-version-/230595196722?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive_PM&hash=item35b08b7732

John

Edited by jpattison
additional link

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

One can even put a question mark at the biddings - all identities protected ;):

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time

private listing - bidders' identities protected £4,600.00

06-Mar-11 18:53:51 GMT