Best Raw developer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Forum friends:

I have Photoshop Elements 8 that has its own Raw developer.

My wife bought a Pana LX5 during his holidays (sorry, she found it cheaper than the DLux 5), and in the box is included a Silkypix Developer Studio 3.1.

My questions are: 1) Which one of both is better? and 2) Is there any incompatibility between the two if the pictures are open in PE 8 and then processed in Silkypix?

Many thanks in advance.

I believe Imants was a proponent of Silkypix for colour.

I don't like the GUI.

To me, the best RAW dev for the M8/M9 are RAW Developer (exceptional neutrality, rustic GUI) and C1 (ask Jamie here).

Sorry, but what means GUI? I´m a Leica film cameras user since a long time, and my digitals are LX5 and GH1 (the digital M´s are in the future). I´m trying now to experiment with Raw for the first time, so I haven´t any experience about that.

Anyway, many thanks for your answer.

GUI means Graphical User Interface

Incidentally, I'm also one of those that believe (strongly) that Raw Developer is the best conversion tool (on the Mac) - it saved me from selling my M8, which I found a bitter disappointment until I tried RawDev on the files.

If you do a search, there have been some visual comparisons made between the different software packages here (and elsewhere).

If you're new to raw conversion, then maybe Adobe Lightroom gives you the best trade-off between ease-of-use and results. Both C1 and RawDev have quite high learning curves before get the most out of them.

Edited by plasticman

The best RAW developer is the one you like using the most, whatever the name is.

It there is one that may be better then all the rest, which I doubt, but you just don't get on with it then that one is not the best for you

I'm stuck in the old days. Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW with Bridge as my image file manager.

Had/have Lightroom 1 & 2, tried LR3 and I just don't care for it (it doesn't do anything more then PS ACR). Got Phase One Capture 1 with the M8, never got on with it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

GUI means Graphical User Interface

Incidentally, I'm also one of those that believe (strongly) that Raw Developer is the best conversion tool (on the Mac) - it saved me from selling my M8, which I found a bitter disappointment until I tried RawDev on the files.

If you do a search, there have been some visual comparisons made between the different software packages here (and elsewhere).

If you're new to raw conversion, then maybe Adobe Lightroom gives you the best trade-off between ease-of-use and results. Both C1 and RawDev have quite high learning curves before get the most out of them.

I have a Mac too, but I have a new question now: Is Raw Developer the same in PSElements than in its more advanced brother PSCS? I´m an Elements user, and until now, it is enought for me.

I have a Mac too, but I have a new question now: Is Raw Developer the same in PSElements than in its more advanced brother PSCS? I´m an Elements user, and until now, it is enought for me.

Hi Hector

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about PS Elements because I have no experience with that software, but just in case there's general confusion about what I meant by Raw Developer - I was referring to the software by that name, that can be found here:

Iridient Digital - RAW Developer

Hi Hector

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about PS Elements because I have no experience with that software, but just in case there's general confusion about what I meant by Raw Developer - I was referring to the software by that name, that can be found here:

Oh! I understand now. Raw Developer is the name of the software, not a generic name. I will try if I can buy it online. Very interesting the link you sent me.

Many thanks for your information.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...