Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It´s a two side window car, so I think must be a 530.

The 630 limousine mostly had three side windows. The short wheelbase 630 (4/5-seater) had a little rear side window and the long wheelbase 630 (6/7 seater) had larger side windows.

In the beginning I thought Steyr, Skoda or even Tatra, there was something different to other makers. Really modern design for that era. My favourite Steyr would be a Steyr 50/55 Baby the last Karl Jenschke design at Steyr. Jenschke moved to Adler where he designed the Adler 2.5 "Autobahn". My grandfather had an "Adler Autobahn Convertbile" and always wanted a Tatra. I think I inherited the love for these designs from him.

• Like 2

Here a very nice set of Steyr 530/630 brochures (click on the brochure pages to enlarge them!). For those who like the aerodynamic designs like Tatra, here a link to the Steyr 70 Prototype (8 cyl.,) on which Porsche also worked with (in contrast to the Baby Steyr where Porsche was not involved although it looked similar to the VW).

At a.j.z: This would be the 630 version of your riddle car. You see the difference in length (third -rear- side window).

• Thanks 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb Rona!d:

Here a very nice set of Steyr 530/630 brochures (click on the brochure pages to enlarge them!). For those who like the aerodynamic designs like Tatra, here a link to the Steyr 70 Prototype (8 cyl.,) on which Porsche also worked with (in contrast to the Baby Steyr where Porsche was not involved although it looked similar to the VW).

At a.j.z: This would be the 630 version of your riddle car. You see the difference in length (third -rear- side window).

Yes, I know these websites, but this one is confusing as it shows the 530 with three side-windows (also based on an old brochure): https://steyrregister.com/1933-430/ but the majority of sources shows the other way round. I expect to meet the owner in the next couple of months and will get this confirmed.

• Like 1

Very Tatra-Ledwinka look to the Steyr 70 Prototype. Of course, it would not be the first time Dr. Porsche "borrowed" one of Hans Ledwinka's designs 😀

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb a.j.z:

Yes, I know these websites, but this one is confusing as it shows the 530 with three side-windows (also based on an old brochure): https://steyrregister.com/1933-430/ but the majority of sources shows the other way round. I expect to meet the owner in the next couple of months and will get this confirmed.

I think until the 630 has arrived there was possibly a long cabin version of the 530 available for Taxis and Chauffeur drives, this had 3 side windows but the wheelbase was the same 3250 mm, length max. 4.800mm. The difference is that the trunk was smaller with a foldable lugguage carrier while your car shows a closed trunk.

The 630 had a slightly longer wheelbase and could be ordered in a short version 4-5 seater (4.960mm) and long version 6-7 seater (5.010mm).

Ask the owner, he might know more details or maybe not 😉

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Very Tatra-Ledwinka look to the Steyr 70 Prototype. Of it would not be the first time Dr. Porsche "borrowed" one of Hans Ledwinka's designs 😀

Wilson

One difference was that they turned their Steyr 8 cyl. engine from aircooled (in the trucks) to watercooled for the type 70 while the Tatra was aircooled.

I see an austrian incubator of ideas according to the streamline idea:

Porsche let Erwin Komenda (later worked on the 356, 550, 911) design the Zündapp Type 12 in 1932 while Ledwinka designed the similar looking aerodynamic limousine Type 570  in 1933 (the convertibles looked different and were made in 1931).The famous Type 77 came later, in 1934.

So Komendas Zündapp Type 12 was possibly first in 1931 and he worked on streamline cars at his former company Mercedes-Benz between 1929 and 1931. Before that he worked for Steyr (1926-1929).

Ledwinka worked at the Tatra predecessor company Nesselsdorfer Wagenbau-Fabriksgesellschaft (since 1923 called Tatra) until 1917 and switched to Oesterreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft (since 1926 called "Steyr"). Switched back to Nesselsdorf (Koprivnice) and finally left the Czech in 1954 (helped to design the Tatra 600 = Tratraplan during his imprisonment).

This triangle (Porsche/Zündapp/Mercedes, Steyr, Tatra) is pretty interesting. Sideline: The Adler Autobahn was a design from Jenschke who came from Steyr.

And when we talk about the "Ur-Beetle" there is another name we should mention: Josef Ganz (born in Budapest). He designed the Standard Superior (called "Volkswagen" long before the beetle) in 1932/33 as the first car for motorcycle maker Standard (owned by Gutbrod). Before he designed the Superior for Standard he made his own little car called "Maikäfer" in 1931. Ganz also worked for BMW, Adler and Mercedes Benz. As a jew he had to leave Germany during the dark years, found no luck in Switzerland and France and moved to Australia where he worked for Holden before he died "forgotten".

Josef Ganz not only designed cars, he was a well known automotive journalist in the 1920s and early 1930s and his articles were heading to small light and aerodynamic vehicles for the masses.

Oh, and we shall not forget another austrian streamline expert who was possibly the godfather of that "austrian incubator": Edmund Rumpler who designed the famous Tropfenwagen in 1921 (known from the film Metropolis). Guess what, Rumpler worked for Daimler Motorgesellschaft and Adler before that. For Adler he invented the swing-axle in 1903. He was also an automotive journalist since 1900 and invented a 100 km/h fast streamlined truck in 1930.

• Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I forgot one car Porsche designed in 1932 for NSU, the type 32 which was also an ancenstor of the Beetle. Looked similar to the Zündapp type 12. Had a central tube frame and an air cooled 4 cyl. boxer engine. NSU let that project go because of an older deal with FIAT (I think it was about a license to build certain FIAT cars for the German market with a commitment not to design and build own cars).

Porsche also feared some trouble with Tatra because they held a patent on the central tube frame and started a law suit against small motorcycle maker Standard because they used such a frame at their model "Superior". Tatra wanted 1 Million Reichsmark from Standard which let them stop the production of the whole car. When the KdF-Wagen came nobody had to fear Tatra because of the Nazi occupation. As most of you know Volkswagen paid Tatra millions of DM in the 1950s/60s for the same reason.

• Thanks 2

Good evening 😉 Here the next one (couldn´t find the harddrive/file I initially had in mind, sorry).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here another (maybe too generous) crop.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!