Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, pippy said:

A sporty example of a fairly recognisable wee thing so Make, Model, Approximate Year, Carrozzeria and Designer, please, and anything else which you feel might be of some interest. As there were two models which shared, essentially, the same bodywork I will give you all the hint that this one came with the larger displacement engine...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Delightful car, I had the earlier Giulietta 1300cc version.  Tiny. Sold it because I couldn't fit in, and I'm not overweight, or at least wasn't at the time.

• Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb jaques:

very close- it's the VC. Sad to have let her go a few years back....

That wasn‘t an easy task for a European to find, I guess not one around here in the classic car scene.

What happened to your peaky passenger? Sold with the car? 😉

Liked the design of the VC Safari V8.

1 hour ago, stuny said:

...I can see why you may think that, but no, it's not even British...

Well that's completely thrown me! I was also thinking along the lines of Dunlop wheels & Jaguar engine...

OK, so let's have a game of 'Confirm or Eliminate!' before I throw everything in the bin. To start with; are they Dunlop wheels and is it a Jaguar engine?

I'm just going with the thought (a.k.a. 'Clutching at Straws') that even although it's not a British Car it might still be using these components.....

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The shape is very like a 1953 Ferrari 500 but that had a 4 cylinder engine. Did someone update one of these with a Maserati 2.5L 6 cyl for use in the later era F1? However that is pretty unlikely, so I am going to guess it is an A6 Maserati F2 car, again from 1953 but with the Borrani wheels replaced by the much more rigid Dunlops and painted BRG. 

Wilson

Wilson is getting closer.  As Philip suggests, here's a wider crop

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 250swb said:

The model designation ends in 'F', wink wink nudge nudge

Steve, 

I had thought of that but unless there is a variant I am not familiar with (more than possible, maybe an early 1954 car) the engine covers all slope more to the front not level like Stuart's one. Our one was a late 1956/57 version and more "squashed" looking, with the angled engine and low line drive train.It was an evil car to drive, understeering to the left and oversteering to the right, so quickly passed on to someone braver. We thought there was something wrong with it, but we were told by Moss that it had always done that.

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

...the engine covers all slope more to the front not level like Stuart's one. Our one was a late 1956/57 version and more "squashed" looking, with the angled engine and low line drive train...

If Steve is correct in his guess then I'm beginning to suspect that the use of a wide-angle lens might be distorting the perspective somewhat making the bonnet-line appear 'flatter' than it is in reality...

Philip.

1953 Maserati 250 F Grand Prix car, Serial # 2504 ( one of the earliest 250 Fs ) sold new to 'Prince Bira' as an 'interim' car to race while waiting for his new '54 250F.

Later ('56) sold to Jack Brabham , then Chris Amon of NZ, and remains in New Zealand today, on display at the Southward Car Museum in Paraparaumu, NZ.

Car has been raced by practically every Maserati works driver back in the day, crashed, rebuilt, renumbered, repainted and re-bodied several times......unknown who converted the original wires wheels to the Dunlop wheels.

JZG

• Like 2

Here it is.  Your turn John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Z. Goriup said:

unknown who converted the original wires wheels to the Dunlop wheels.

The Owen Organisation fitted the Dunlop wheels. It would makes sense for them to have painted it green as well after it was finally sold to them. Bira raced it in light blue with wire wheels. I don't think it was ever driven by any of the works drivers and remained in privateer hands from new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

The model designation ends in 'F', wink wink nudge nudge

Thank you, Stuart, but to be honest and honorable about this, I really did not suspect this was a Maserati 250F until 250swb posted the above hint, which sent me to my reference books where I had to spent some time 'researching' this.

I think he therefore should be the one posting the next puzzle car, since he obviously knew the exact solution long before I did.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup

OK I'll give it a go, clue, it's a steel bodied car.

• Like 1