Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Graham, 

I wondered that as well but it is not any of the pre-war V12’s I recognise. Not Lagonda, R-R, Hispano, Delage or any of the American ones, which I think were all flatheads. It looks a bit like a Pegaso engine but that was DOHC with very obvious chain bulges at the front of the cam box covers. John’s engine looks like a Hemi push-rod engine. 

• Like 1

Graham, 

I am only on a compact iPad, while travelling, so counting spark plugs a Nono. 😀

Wilson

PS The only other pre-war V12 I can think of that just possibly was used post-war would have been the Daimler double six, the later non-sleeve valve one but I have no idea what that looks like. W

Edited by wlaidlaw

It is a pre-war V-12 -  the car shown started out as one in a series of 4 cars built for a specific purpose, which this car achieved. 

Not American, nor British - rather, the entire car in all its iterations is the product of one continental European country.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bingo, but we now have a small problem deciding who got it right first and gets the next turn. My post # 12752 was in reply to Stuny's # 12750, but before motard's #12751 appeared on my monitor.  I think I was typing my reply when motard posted his guess - and Yes, he identifies it correctly as a Delahaye Type 145, but it didn't start out as a 145, and  there's a bigger and much more interesting story behind all this.

In '38 Delahaye came out with an all-new 4.5 liter V-12 powered Grand Prix car to take on the all-conquering German 'Silver Arrows, and built 4 cars for the '38 & '39 seasons. During that period, ALFA - Romeo held the outright speed record for automobiles with the French government offering a large prize to any frenchman or French manufacturer who could beat that record. Towards the end of a successful '38 Grand Prix season, one of these car not only tried, but actually did break the ALFA record at the Monthlery track (in the hands of famed driver and restaurateur Rene Dreufuss), and then went on to win a Grand Prix against the full German field of M-Bs & AUTO-UNION 'Silberpfeils'. Shortly thereafter war broke out and the four French GP cars were dismantled and squirreled away all over France to keep the terrible Bosche from taking them away. Shortly after the war, entrepreneur & renowned coachbuilder Henri Chapron purchased two of the Grand Prix cars, and rebodied them as luxurious, fast GTs with slightly detuned motors for wealthy foreigners, since France had imposed punishing taxes on all passenger cars with engines larger than 2 liters after the hostilities.They were sold & registered as Type 145s, even though they varied significantly from the production models. 

Today, both of the rebodied cars and one of the original four Grand Prix cars reside in Oxnard, Calif in the magnificent Mullen Automotive Museum. If you ever find yourself in that part of the world and have the slightest interest in cars,  I urge you to make an appointment and see that jewel of automotive art....." Rolling Sculpture" as Peter Mullen calls them.

The grey car shown here is the actual record breaking car and is driven frequently and shown all over the world, with quite a few 'Best of Shows' to its credit.

Stuart, as moderator would you please be good enough to decide who gets the next turn.

JZG

• Like 1

Another image showing the car in its place of honor at the museum........absolutely beautiful.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

• Like 1

Thank you! This one shoul

d be rather easy: