Name this car....

Right hand drive version of the driving view that this driver would have had at the time of the pit incident.

I am looking for the driver's name, but the car would be a good start.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

William

I don't know what is happening to my posts but they are not hitting the thread. I guessed Charlotte Caracciola, the first wife of Rudi Caracciola at Phoenix Park in 1930. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are correct, Wilson. Yes, it was Charly Carraciola, who died not long afterwards in an avalanche while she was skiing.

Here she is seen wearing men's clothing at the Phoenix Park in 1930.

http://austinharris.co.uk/photo/rudolf-caracciola-at-1930-irish-grand-prix/4281

This short piece refers to her entering the pits in 1929 at the TT, but there was a similar incident in the Phoenix Park in 1930 as the picture shows. Caracciola won the 1930 race. By 1931 women were allowed into the pits in the Phoenix Park, when the race for larger cars was won by Tim Birkin in a green Alfa Romeo.

Here is a picture of a Mercedes SSK in a display to commemorate the Irish Grand Prix races. This is not the left hand drive one driven by Caracciola, but it looks splendid anyway.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 3

Even though Caracciola looks quite slim, he must have been very strong to have driven these cars over a three to four hour race. The SSK and SSKL cars have unbelievably heavy steering. They make a Speed Six Bentley feel like it has power assistance. Given that the cars were designed by Dr. Porsche, you would have to assume he did not make an error in the geometry. The later 380/500/540K cars are just as bad. When you reach the kick down point on the accelerator, a magnetic clutch engages the supercharger and a solenoid closes the waste gate/atmospheric air intake, the mechanical racket is pretty astounding. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Thanks Wilson. That photo on the wall behind showing Henry 'Tim' Birkin in his 4.5 litre blown Bentley pursuing Tom 'Scrap' Thistlethwaite in his 7 litre supercharged Mercedes up the main straight in the 1929 Phoenix Park race is one of my all time favourite motor racing photos. I will see if I can get a good copy of the photo to post. One of the features of that photo is that it shows the scant attention paid to safety in those days. While the public are behind railings, the boy scouts, policemen and officials have nothing between them and what were then some of the most powerful racing cars on the planet. The sight and sound of those magnificent cars must have been most impressive in those days and the drivers were just as brave as the spectators. Hamilton v Vettel would have nothing on this in terms of bravery and skill.

Last week, I had the opportunity and privilege to look at the archives of the Royal Irish Automobile Club (RIAC) concerning the 1929-31 races. There I came across a wonderful book published in 1956 by the Bodley Head called the Racing History of the Bentley by Darell Berthon. It is rare and expensive nowadays, but I have managed to get a copy. I can recommend the book to all early Bentley fans and enthusiasts. It has many wonderful photos which I have not seen before and the descriptions of the races have a wonderful contemporary (to the period of the races) feel to them.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

OK here's the next car and good luck :)

dunk 

dunk 

Yep  … it's a Bond Bug  … seen at the recent Peterborough Classic Car Show 

Well spotted Mike 

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I remember someone owning one of those at RAF Marham in the mid 1970s, certainly an "interesting" car. :)

Here's mine:

(Leica M2, 50mm Summicron, Ilford HP5. :) )

XJ220 it is.

I'm a little short on images to post so if anyone has something go ahead.