Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's try this....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Back home, saw the photo and the answer, no chance to guess. Respect, Wilson!

Were there any of those around in Scotland or UK or how did you know this strange vehicle? ;-)

I had some type 3 but no type 4. A late short nose Variant 1600L (12 Volts) would be nice.

Back home, saw the photo and the answer, no chance to guess. Respect, Wilson!

Were there any of those around in Scotland or UK or how did you know this strange vehicle? ;-)

I had some type 3 but no type 4. A late short nose Variant 1600L (12 Volts) would be nice.

It just had a VW smell about it. There were not that many "fastback" VWs in period, so I guessed the 411 LE and checked that the air extraction grille matched. There was a rally prepared one on a rally I did a few years ago, I think from the VW museum and driven by someone from Audi UK headquarters. I will have to have a scrape around to find another car. 

Wilson

OK so here is your next one. Not at all easy, so I will show the whole vehicle. Make and year (I think they only made a single model) please. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had no smell, so this is a 1902 electric Columbia Tonneau. The guy on the drivers seat is John H. and he doesn´t seem to be afraid of frost boils because he loves to "ride" this horseless carriage quite often. Somewhere I should have a snapshot of him at one of the London to Brighton Runs before Bonhams took over sponsorship.

One day his vehicle will be amoung the very few ones which will be allowed to drive the London to Brighton ;-) Less than a handful electrics out of hundreds of cars.

.... found the old photo, you stamped out the old registration painted on the front ("L-21")?

p.s. While talking about electric cars ... last weekend I took my little girls to the museum which has the only driving model of my second last riddle, the electric bred delivery van. Only two of these vehicles survived, the one just two villages away is parked under an open shed, always ready to drive, only the DETA batteries needs a charge. The other one in a big collection (Technisches Museum in Berlin I think) is in less good shape although pampered by studied restauration teams.

I had no smell, so this is a 1902 electric Columbia Tonneau. The guy on the drivers seat is John H. and he doesn´t seem to be afraid of frost boils because he loves to "ride" this horseless carriage quite often. Somewhere I should have a snapshot of him at one of the London to Brighton Runs before Bonhams took over sponsorship.

One day his vehicle will be amoung the very few ones which will be allowed to drive the London to Brighton ;-) Less than a handful electrics out of hundreds of cars.

.... found the old photo, you stamped out the old registration painted on the front ("L-21")?

p.s. While talking about electric cars ... last weekend I took my little girls to the museum which has the only driving model of my second last riddle, the electric bred delivery van. Only two of these vehicles survived, the one just two villages away is parked under an open shed, always ready to drive, only the DETA batteries needs a charge. The other one in a big collection (Technisches Museum in Berlin I think) is in less good shape although pampered by studied restauration teams.

Ronald, 

Correct of course. I think his team must change all the batteries at the Crawley stop, as it only has about 40 miles range. I believe it has 20 lead acid batteries but not sure if they are single cell 2V ones or three cell 6V. I knew if I left the registration number on, people would just Google it. Surprisingly it has a three speed gearbox with two reverse gears, which I assume must have come off some piece of industrial equipment. I suppose the revs of these early electric motors were limited by the weakness of their commutators, whereas modern ones go to huge revs, so often don't need gearboxes. I think the BMW i8 is about the only electric which uses a gearbox. 

Your turn again. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson, I´m not sure about the batteries. Do you know the races rules? Do they have to be "rebuild originals"? 3-speed gearbox with two revers gears sounds like industrial equipment. Today a classic gearbox is rare in modern electrics. I think somebody has mentioned a gearbox not long ago but I forgot if it was the i8 or another car.

Looking for the next car.

Here comes the next one (not for experts only). Maker and exact model please. Year of made not required.

Ronald, 

I think most of the LBVC run cars are what the trade calls "Grandfather's Axe" cars. They have had at least one new head and three new handles. I think if the chassis and the engine block are original or for the block, identical to the original, that is fine. A number of the big Mercedes use components from the later but identical Simplex marine/fire appliance engines. There is no scrutineering before the start at least when I did my last run in 2011. There is a committee at the veteran car club to whom you have to submit a new find but most of the cars are well known, with many of them having done 70 or 80 runs. I think our Panhard et Levassor has done around 75. I would not think there was any requirement for electric cars to use rebuilt original batteries, as I would guess most of those were thrown away in the pre WW1 period, when the pre 1904 cars were regarded as primitive old junk. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Come one! It´s not a prototype or only one made. It´s a race car based on a series model.