Name this car....

I assume you meant Diablo but they don't have pop up head lights like you show on your car although all the rest fits. 

Wilson,

from 1990 to 1999 the Lamborghini Diablo had flip/switch lights. From 1999 on they got fixed lights from the Nissan 300 ZX. You can see the Nissan logo when you detach the upper black cover lip ;-)

Diablo was not my Lambo era. As a kid I loved the Miura, (only) early Countach and even the nicely designed but poor made Urraco, Later I had "test drive" access to Gallardos, Aventadors and Murciélagos on F1 test tracks.

As a kid I asked Lamborghini for a brochure, they sent me the first Countach and Urraco brochures. My dad replaced their letter with one he had written and in which they (he) offered a visit of a sales rep and works testdriver and a Countach within the next weeks at our home. I waited and waited for their call. After a couple of weeks I found out that my dads company seemed to use the same typewriter (color of the typewriter ribbon and font). Bang. Decades later when I was into testdriving fancy vehicles I got a long ride with Valentino Balboni the former chief testdriver of Lamborghini. Late revenge, he signed a letter to my dad in which he confirmed that we had a nice afternoon in a Gallardo Superleggera Balboni edition with 2-wheel drive.

Nice story Ronald and you are of course correct. 

It is Max' turn (ignoring the 'typo' ;-))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Andreas,

your first crop was very clever plus the poor quality which somehow indicated US-style muscle car rims. Only the thick inner fender section indicated a more modern car.

It would be fun to open another "sister thread" which contents 3rd party car parts (like door handles, instruments, lights etc.) used on supercars. We could write a book. Some years ago, when Aston Martin was still under Ford I had a long discussion with them about how much money they have really saved by using such parts from cheap Ford models. If I were an Aston customer, I´d have had certain "taste problems" with that ;-)

Ronald,

Yes and as in the meantime most luxury car brands are part of larger groups, we maybe will see more of this. I also doubt that the savings are worth the reputational issues. However, my knowledge would not be sufficient to contribute to such a new thread, although it would be fun to follow it.

Finish quality of the large makers increased a lot, so today it´s not a big deal using certain Audi parts in Lambos for example, it adds to the cars quality! Before the 1990s that wasn´t the case and a lot of FIAT parts were used in very expensive cars and I´m not talking about X 1.9 door handles in a Lancia Stratos or beam reflectors in a Ferrari 308.

I put my hand up as the person that was guilty for the Morris Marina door handles and locks being used in many years of Lotus cars. Prior to that Colin Chapman was using Italian made chrome plated, die cast, Zamak door handles with Smiths locks. The problem was that the doors were not waterproof and when water got in and froze in the winter and at the same time the Zamak went brittle, it was a perfect recipe for broken off door handles. They were not cheap and I pointed out in our warranty claim analysis for Lotus, the not insignificant cost of these items. Morris was then replacing the Marina with the equally nasty Ital and had a large surplus of unused Marina door handles both inside, outside and the attendant Wilmot Breeden locks. I cannot remember exactly what the exact price was per set but it was certainly less than £1 but only if I bought 10,000 of them. I talked Fred Bushell the company accountant into buying them. For years afterwards motoring magazines would complain about the horrible cheap Marina door handles on various Lotuses. I think they were still using them until the new Elise came out. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Finish quality of the large makers increased a lot, so today it´s not a big deal using certain Audi parts in Lambos for example, it adds to the cars quality! Before the 1990s that wasn´t the case and a lot of FIAT parts were used in very expensive cars and I´m not talking about X 1.9 door handles in a Lancia Stratos or beam reflectors in a Ferrari 308.

The Ferrari 365GTC4 used a pair of Morris Minor Smiths heater blowers for the windscreen de-misting system. As they were right behind the low set front grille, they suffered all the crud that came in and did not last long. It was a lot more economical to go and get them off rusty old Morris Minors sitting in scrap yards, rather than paying the enormous Ferrari price for them. 

Wilson

• Like 2