Water resistance and Soft Release?

rebelfocus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that the M9 has very poor weather proofing. I also understand from Mark Norton's teardown that the shutter release is one of the weakest spots regarding water resistance.

I don't particularly like the crunchy feel of soft releases on the M9 but was wondering if they provide any water resistance just by virtue of the fact that the might cover the shutter button from the ingress of water drops. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

I suppose a soft release would plug the hole up, though like you I find the shutter feels crunchy with one. But I have used my M9 for two days this week in wet conditions with plenty of standing water on the top plate (it was either that or miss the photos) and it hasn't gone up in smoke. I did wipe it off from time to time, but I don't think its so leaky that it becomes unusable in rain and snow.

Steve

I suppose a soft release would plug the hole up, though like you I find the shutter feels crunchy with one. But I have used my M9 for two days this week in wet conditions with plenty of standing water on the top plate (it was either that or miss the photos) and it hasn't gone up in smoke. I did wipe it off from time to time, but I don't think its so leaky that it becomes unusable in rain and snow.

Steve

Thanks Steve. It is unclear how water resistant the camera is and there are threads debating this. Like you I suspect a softie might give a little extra protection just by covering and blocking the hole. I don't mind getting a little water on my camera either but am wondering if I should also screw in a softie in rain and drizzle. If it offers no real protection I would prefer not to as I don't like the feel of them on the M9 at all.

Maybe a stupid idea but if you coated the switch & shutter relases with hydrophobic coating it would be very difficult for liquid H2O to enter, vapor would not be blocked of course. So silicone or teflon, something like rain-x (for making windscreens water repellent) or colloidal PTFE.

Anyway there are plenty of digital M users that have survived (their camera's) the elements without taking special measures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shutter release switch is indeed a soft spot regarding water infiltration. I have had water damage with my M8 caused by some little snowflakes witch melted on my release switch.

Covering this with a soft release umbrella seems to be sensible IMHO.

Thanks 2Bébèrt.

That's good information...!

Tony

I'd say if you want a soft release, get one. You don't need an excuse like weatherproofing. :)

If, as you say, "the M9 has very poor weather proofing," I don't think covering up the cable release socket is going to make much difference.

At least when people ask what that funny thing is sticking out of your release button, you can say it's a release umbrella. ;)

If you're looking for weatherproofing, a plastic bag will cover more water entry points.

Just curious--are there release extensions for other brands as well, or are we Leica users the only ones who feel the need?

Edited by ho_co

Simpler just to use a clear plastic bag over your camera, hole cut for the lens and you can protect your lens too by securing the bag to the front of the lens with a filter, hood or rubber band.

Thanks James,

I have done that before with other cameras but never with my M8 or M9. I find the plastic bag works fine for automatic cameras but on an M I find I need to get at the focus tab, aperture and shutter dial a lot (I almost always use manual exposure). Additionally, I suppose one would need to make more holes for the viewfinder and rangefinder windows so wouldn't you end up with a bag with so many holes that it offers little protection in the end?

Tony

I'd say if you want a soft release, get one. You don't need an excuse like weatherproofing. :)

If, as you say, "the M9 has very poor weather proofing," I don't think covering up the cable release socket is going to make much difference.

I have several softies and don't really need an excuse to use them. I actually prefer to avoid them as they feel quite nasty on the M9 BUT if they offered even a little more weather proofing I would put up with having one installed for a little while.

;-)

Thanks James,

I have done that before with other cameras but never with my M8 or M9. I find the plastic bag works fine for automatic cameras but on an M I find I need to get at the focus tab, aperture and shutter dial a lot (I almost always use manual exposure). Additionally, I suppose one would need to make more holes for the viewfinder and rangefinder windows so wouldn't you end up with a bag with so many holes that it offers little protection in the end?

Tony

What about a nice young lady holding an umbrella over your head?

Remember the soft membrane some people put on their keyboard? i wonder if there might be a product just to "house" the top plate for example, that should solve the problem i guess. And yes, with 3 windows cut-out to facilitate focusing in the front, might work well for our Ms.

Now I'm using my M8 raincap with my M9 and no problems at all. Yes, still working. Incredible. May be some M8 users remember:http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/76727-m8-raincap-im-waiting-rain.html

I've never had a problem after long time under the rain, but I understand that it's not easy to risk so expensive camera.

Cheers.

Edited by Fotomiguel

Guest ccmsosse
Now I'm using my M8 raincap with my M9 and no problems at all. Yes, still working. Incredible. May be some M8 users remember:http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/76727-m8-raincap-im-waiting-rain.html

I've never had a problem after long time under the rain, but I understand that it's not easy to risk so expensive camera.

Cheers.

Has anyone experience with a commercially available product such as the 12" Camera Rain Cover for SLR cameras -- by FotoSharp or a cover from ewa-marine: Rain Capes

Greetings

IMHO, the M8 hasn't proven itself susceptible to rain, though there are half a dozen people who disagree.

I've used my M8 in downpours, one of which was enough to cause the Universal Finder to freeze up and need to go for repairs. But the camera kept going.

Next time you're in a hotel, borrow a shower cap for the camera.

My suggestion is: Use your head. Keep the camera dry when you can, but don't let it cause you to miss pictures. I think there have been more people complaining about rangefinder adjustments than about soaked cameras going down for the count.

And don't worry. IMO, the only camera that never goes for repair is one that isn't used. ;)

Guest ccmsosse
IMHO, the M8 hasn't proven itself susceptible to rain, though there are half a dozen people who disagree.

I've used my M8 in downpours, one of which was enough to cause the Universal Finder to freeze up and need to go for repairs. But the camera kept going.

Next time you're in a hotel, borrow a shower cap for the camera.

My suggestion is: Use your head. Keep the camera dry when you can, but don't let it cause you to miss pictures. I think there have been more people complaining about rangefinder adjustments than about soaked cameras going down for the count.

And don't worry. IMO, the only camera that never goes for repair is one that isn't used. ;)

All true but what if there were a "magical" device (i.e. hotel shower caps :)) which would keep the M9 safe and sound...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

i thought this looked like an organised wet weather solution, albeit for a video-cam

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!