petermcwerner

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A serious banker...

Is it still possible to take a serious banker seriously?

Whether it would be good or bad news would depend not only what they said ("we have no plans at this stage to move production..."), but on what they did ("in order to remain competative we have had to relocate production...").

I'll pop back in an hour and see how many messages there are on this thread.

That would be the end of Leica. It would become a name on a lens just like Zeiss, Voigtlander or Rollei.
Panasonic seems much more innovative than Leica, see for instance the G1. They might be able to offer an R10 before the last R aficionados have their R lenses converted to Nikon

Panasonic seems much more innovative than Leica

Panasonic's business is built around a high volume, low margin model, Leica's is the opposite, low volume high margin. The more I think about it, the more I feel it would be a disaster for the Leica brand.

However let's not forget the only 'evidence' we have is a post by someone on DPP who knows someone who's heard someone else saying that Panasonic may be interested. It not unknown for people to stir the pot for a 'laugh'.

When Leica put their name down on a treaty with Panasonic 4 or 5 years ago it was specifically mentioned that the agreement didn't include transfer of shares so I believe that they had at least talked about it back to that date ... Andreas must have a copy of the pdf 'cause I think he maintained Leica's web site at that time.

As I've said, it's a win-win situation ... Dr. Kaufmann gets his bailout, the new Leica no longer has to play catchup. I'm not sure if it's a good thing for the R owners but if it IS true, the M camp must be pretty happy.

Tata buys Jaguar and Range Rover ... and those who bought them, are still buying them and don't seem to be bothered now it's an Indian company.

What bankers say ... [did he have shares in Panasonic?]

But in any case I came to think of Porsche. I don't know what they did, except they made a lot of money on a great brand that produces expensive cars in few numbers in high quality.

Whatever they did, Leica could copy, I guess.

However let's not forget the only 'evidence' we have is a post by someone on DPP who knows someone who's heard someone else saying that Panasonic may be interested. It not unknown for people to stir the pot for a 'laugh'.
Even so, there are sometimes self-fulfilling rumors, such as Lehman Brothers

But in any case I came to think of Porsche. ... they made a lot of money on a great brand that produces expensive cars in few numbers in high quality.
And recently even more money by declaring they wanted the Volkswagen majority and speculating on Volkswagen shares.

Panasonic wouldn't be so stupid to destroy the value of the brand by themselves ... so they must carry on with something then the lineup can maintain its status.

I'm guessing the M system is their top choice if the deal is true ... the G1 is already a half step forward, making another camera with full support of Leica's M, and R lenses should be pretty easy - all they need is a focusing confirmation adapter because the Leica lenses don't auto focus anyway.

Further, they can completely rebuild the M system if they want to ... on the brightest side, you know you'll never see a red nose M anymore.

That would be the end of Leica. It would become a name on a lens just like Zeiss, Voigtlander or Rollei. Not very good news....

The end of another traditional German Company - Agfa, Märklin, Rosenthal, Bremer Vulkan etc.

Andreas

Please don't confuse 'Rollei' with 'Rolleiflex', which is manufactured in Germany, by Franke & Heidecke.

What bankers say ... [did he have shares in Panasonic?]

But in any case I came to think of Porsche. I don't know what they did, except they made a lot of money on a great brand that produces expensive cars in few numbers in high quality.

Whatever they did, Leica could copy, I guess.

hmmm, Leica turns into hedge fund and buys Panasonic?

1) it may be the only way Leica can survive

2) to capitalise on the Leica brand Panasonic would have to continue supporting high end stuff coming out of Leica

3) Panasonic is arguably the most interesting of the large camera producers which bodes well

4) Panasonic may even be able to impose some organisational professionalism on Leica which IMO would be a good thing.

or it could just be another forum rumour....