SL2 and Lenses

Agent M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SL2 came in and have to say that I'm a bit impressed. Has the feel of an M.

I have the 90 cron for the R9 so I won't go for that. Also have a 50 Lux ROM.

What is the best 180mm to get for it? I'm confused about the 2.8s and 3.4s.

I'm looking into the 60mm - besides Doug, anyone else recommend this lens? I haven't looked at R equipment in quite a long time.

But you mustn't use your ROM lens on the SL2!

• 2 months later...
I finally broke down and got an 80mm 1.4 that is presently in the mail. It is a 3-cam so I can also put it on my R9, right? And if so, what am I missing out on with the R9 and no ROM?

Main "extras" (so far as I know) are

(1) Specific information about the type of lens so that the camera can compensate for vignetting - I think this applies to some degree even on an R8/9 without a DMR

(2) Information about the aperture dynamics of the actual individual lens sample itself

(3) information about the focal length of the lens so that flashguns such as the Metz MZ54 can zoom their reflectors to give an optimum beam width.

How much difference these things make in practice is another matter!

In my opinion 2.8/180 is a mother-in-law-basher, while the 3.4/180 is certainly one of the best lenses ever built by Leitz.

Lenn

Lenn is most likely referring to the FIRST version of the 2.8/180, which was indeed very heavy. However, the second version of this lens (introduced in about 1980) is much, much lighter and optically improved. It is also shorter than the 3.4/180 and has a shorter near focus. It is a very good lens and can be had cheaply these days.

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats on a really great camera :) before I went digital I was very close to buying one but it ended up in nothing.

For lenses I have a couple of favourites:

28mm 2.8 great lens and very cheap to find

90mm 2.8mm First generation is really, really good and goes for virtually nothing. This lens is actually sharper than the cron version (IMO)

If you are interested I have I 135/2.8 2 cam version that you can get for a really good price, drop me an email if you are interested.